• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Where to start on Candida/Yeast Overgrowth treatment?

I suspect I've got some type of yeast overgrowth but I've been putting off dealing with it as every time I start researching it I just hit brick walls of contradictory information. One article claims this is the way to go, then i'll find another saying it's not etc. You all know the score. It's the same with many treatments and conditions. One example being Glutamine I've read that it's both good for Leaky gut but that it can also worsen Candida in some people and that Glutamine fuels cancer cell growth. Arrrrghhhh!

So.. with that said. Are there any reliable and up to date sites/books/articles on Candida/Leaky gut treatment that is unbiased and doesn't make unverified claims? A tall order I know!

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
So.. with that said. Are there any reliable and up to date sites/books/articles on Candida/Leaky gut treatment that is unbiased and doesn't make unverified claims? A tall order I know!
I would think, no. Too little is known.

In my experience avoiding complex carbs helps. But any milk products are not, and simple sugars are not too detrimental, and fermented products help.

I got some quit strong wind after I also had an athletic foot. Here, btw, topic vinegar in addition to the above helped, but no anti fungals.

In my experience caffeine is bad. I suspect that candida lives in a symbiosis and is regulated.

When I want real info I turn to PubMed. There is, as you say, too much unverified info floating around on the internet in general.

This is good idea. I've done it myself sometimes, unfortunately my lack of medical knowledge is often a stumbling block here.

I would think, no. Too little is known.

In my experience avoiding complex carbs helps. But any milk products are not, and simple sugars are not too detrimental, and fermented products help.

I got some quit strong wind after I also had an athletic foot. Here, btw, topic vinegar in addition to the above helped, but no anti fungals.

In my experience caffeine is bad. I suspect that candida lives in a symbiosis and is regulated.

Thanks for the tips Percyval. Yes, I do suspect it's a bit like searching for the mythical holy grail in trying to find an unbiased accurate source of information :D

Oh man, caffeine is my saviour. Having to stop that on top of everything else is going to be tough.

wabi-sabi

I've done it myself sometimes, unfortunately my lack of medical knowledge is often a stumbling block here.

That certainly is a frustration! Something I find helpful in that department is MiniMed School for the public videos on youtube. A few different universities put these on. I go to the UCTV University of California TV channel the most, but some other universities have the as well. They are good quality educations done by profs at the med school. You know- since I won't be going to med school for real, myself!

Here is one I'm currently watching on meditation:

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
Oh man, caffeine is my saviour. Having to stop that on top of everything else is going to be tough.
I have problems too here! I love to drink tea.

My observation is a bit difficult here, though. There is a finding that caffeine, especially its salts, promotes unusual budding of candida (link and citation in this post), and indeed, my beloved tea can have pretty prompt effects on my feet and gut. But then some other influences, especially sometimes one or more of the VitB´s (B1, which often had been nice) can do a comparable thing on the lower part.

So my information was a bit short here. I guess now that the influence of caffeine (which might resemble the one from any adenosine, known so for the brain, of course) might be due to a regulation within a symbiosis. And some hope for caffeine drinkers might be, that any second effect, indirectly or directly from nerves, might be necessary to induce this unusual growth upon caffeine in the living organism. And drinking some caffeine might be possible (- but I think in my whole case now, I need to avoid it).

I also forgot one additional observation (in my own experience) which may need confirmation, and this is that meat seems to be rather detrimental, too, so I am currently avoiding it. I think meat is also often mentioned, but I havn´t already looked for literature.

Last edited:

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
That certainly is a frustration! Something I find helpful in that department is MiniMed School for the public videos on youtube.
Yes, there are some good channels on youtube. There is e.g. the Khan Academy, and I liked Ben Garside (now Ben94, I think), often quite technical, but precise and good to listen too, as I found it (I watched them when I was able to drink beer, which was only in the morning and with empty stomach possible, so I had some nice time). Sadly I have probably all the things forgotten.

I have problems too here! I love to drink tea.

My observation is a bit difficult here, though. There is a finding that caffeine, especially its salts, promotes unusual budding of candida (link and citation in this post), and indeed, my beloved tea can have pretty prompt effects on my feet and gut. But then some other influences, especially sometimes one or more of the VitB´s (B1, which often had been nice) can do a comparable thing on the lower part.

So my information was a bit short here. I guess now that the influence of caffeine (which might resemble the one from any adenosine, known so for the brain, of course) might be due to a regulation within a symbiosis. And some hope for caffeine drinkers might be, that any second effect, indirectly or directly from nerves, might be necessary to induce this unusual growth upon caffeine in the living organism. And drinking some caffeine might be possible (- but I think in my whole case now, I need to avoid it).

I also forgot one additional observation (in my own experience) which may need confirmation, and this is that meat seems to be rather detrimental, too, so I am currently avoiding it. I think meat is also often mentioned, but I havn´t already looked for literature.

Thank you Percyval, that's interesting about the caffeine. I don't have enough medical knowledge to fully understand some of the links in your post but it does seem there's enough indication to avoid caffeine as much as possible when treating Candida.

I couldn't find a ben94. I found reference to a Ben1994 which then linked to a Youtube channel called Eliott724. Whether that's the same person or not, it's well beyond my scope of knowledge :D

That certainly is a frustration! Something I find helpful in that department is MiniMed School for the public videos on youtube. A few different universities put these on. I go to the UCTV University of California TV channel the most, but some other universities have the as well. They are good quality educations done by profs at the med school. You know- since I won't be going to med school for real, myself!

Here is one I'm currently watching on meditation:

Oh thanks for the suggestion. There looks to be some really useful information on there. Please do let me know the other good channels you have found.

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
Thank you Percyval, that's interesting about the caffeine. I don't have enough medical knowledge to fully understand some of the links in your post but it does seem there's enough indication to avoid caffeine as much as possible when treating Candida.
Yes, it seems so, but it could be a complicate story. I think it may be - generally - helpful to bear in mind that biological systems are complicate, and that modern science is still on its way. One professor mentioned in a regular lecture which he made available on yt, that for 85% of the medicals the mechanism of action is not known.

I couldn't find a ben94. I found reference to a Ben1994 which then linked to a Youtube channel called Eliott724. Whether that's the same person or not, it's well beyond my scope of knowledge :D
Yes, that´s him. It seems that he has deleted his older videos (which were taken by a camera on a sheet of paper). I don´t know the new ones here.

wabi-sabi

Oh thanks for the suggestion. There looks to be some really useful information on there. Please do let me know the other good channels you have found.
Well you might want to know about ME/CFS Alert by Llewellyn King. It's a sort of news program for the ME/CFS community. Llewellyn King has been in journalism and broadcasting for a long while and he's using those skills to support us.