• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

where to move?

Juanita Vee

I have to move due to income becoming more and more limited. Just wondering how to decided where to move other than, obviously, a more affordable place.

should I try and stay near my aging parents? My mom can be a big help, but she is getting older and I also don't want to be a strain on her health.

Stay near my sister? She may be getting married within the year and moving out to a farm, so that's where I would end up too. I wouldn't be able to be as independent, there will be no ordering meals on wheels or getting pharmacy delivered, but my sister is a huge help.

Just find a place I like and not worry where anyone is?

I don't drive, my parents don't drive, and my best friend doesn't drive. The rest of my friends do, but only one lives close enough currently that I'm ok asking for help here and there.

Just looking for suggestions and advice, thoughts and ideas. I'm not great at replying to stuff in threads any more... it seems to take a lot of brain power, but thank you in advance if you have anything to say here!

I don't know the situation in Canada regarding disability benefits for ME/CFS patients. If it's something that people manage to get I'd probably go down the route of living near friends in a comfortable setup(ground floor/elevator, close shops,etc.) instead of the farm.

If the benefits aren't a possibility then I think staying with family is probably the safest choice.

In Germany there are organisations that provide accommodation for disabled people, with usually lower rent, sometimes assisted living, sometimes just a small apartment but with bigger doors so a wheelchair fits etc. Maybe there is something like that in Canada too, worth researching, I think.

Last edited:

Wishful

The answer depends on how limited you are physically. I'm not limited that way, so I went the 'find a place I like' route. I don't have any nearby friends or relatives--or even neighbours (haven't even met any)--and I'm half an hour from town. I haven't had any difficulties from that, and the lack of social interaction might even be beneficial.

I don't know how much cheaper it is to live in a small town rather than in a city; I suggest checking into that. My annual property tax and utilities are less than $1k. Of course, my utilities consist of only mobile internet; power is solar, water comes from the sky, and poop gets composted.

FWIW, when I moved here I expected I'd want to visit Edmonton (2 1/2 hr drive) once or twice a year. The reality is that I haven't gone there in so many years that I can't remember (at least 6). There just isn't anything I need that isn't available in the small town or online. So, unless you are addicted to shopping or some other urban amenities, access to a big city shouldn't be a major factor in your decision.

Juanita Vee

I have to have groceries delivered, which I'd have to stay in the city for, or stay with someone who can get me groceries. Hmm.... :confused:

My gut, at this point, is saying get a place where I can be most self sufficient, within my upcoming budget changes.

Wishful

I think the grocery stores in Edson offer delivery. Not sure about cost or anything else. Small towns aren't primitive. The roads are even paved. ;)

I had one thought about this last night: resource towns have a fairly competitive housing market, so prices will be high. I suggest searching for towns that have lost their resource base or never had one. Maybe towns that were built on farming now have excess housing capacity as farm labour requirements have diminished. They'd welcome new residents, and the stores might make more effort to keep customers. With a weak job market, you might be able to find someone willing to deliver groceries or do other tasks cheaper than big city rates.

Also, have you checked the latest figures on 'cheapest province to live in'? That changes with the economy, so maybe right now New Brunswick (or wherever) is significantly cheaper than Alberta, and the savings would quickly pay back the extra moving expenses.

Juanita Vee

@Wishful -- Lol! I love small towns, actually. I lived in one until I was 12, they are lovely. Good idea, checking how else I can get groceries delivered other than what is advertised by big chain stores... and thank you! for all the other info too! I appreciate it all.