• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

When did your unrefreshing sleep start?

RyeRyeBread

This.

And often feel poisoned and extremely "drugged" as if coming round from a general anaesthetic.
Yes!!! this is way better wording than the "extremely sleepy and out of it mentally" that i usually use cause that makes it sound so mild smh

When I'm fighting to stay awake during a bad crash, it feels just like fighting against anesthesia, or any sleep-inducing medicine... it's scary :[

Rufous McKinney

I was reading about Stage 3 is the phase that likely is where "restorative" emerges...and that deepest sleep state is also when the brain waste flushing takes place/brain cleaning.

https://www.sleepfoundation.org/stages-of-sleep

reading below- sounds like a promising stage for our sleep to be a mess.

Stage 3 / N3
Stage 3 sleep is also known as deep sleep, and it is harder to wake someone up if they are in this phase. Muscle tone, pulse, and breathing rate decrease in N3 sleep as the body relaxes even further.

The brain activity during this period has an identifiable pattern of what are known as delta waves. For this reason, stage 3 may also be called delta sleep or slow-wave sleep (SWS).

Experts believe that this stage is critical to restorative sleep, allowing for bodily recovery and growth. It may also bolster the immune system and other key bodily processes. Even though brain activity is reduced, there is evidence that deep sleep contributes to insightful thinking6, creativity7, and memory.

We spend the most time in deep sleep during the first half of the night. During the early sleep cycles, N3 stages commonly last for 20-40 minutes. As you continue sleeping, these stages get shorter, and more time gets spent in REM sleep instead.

Seadragon

Yes!!! this is way better wording than the "extremely sleepy and out of it mentally" that i usually use cause that makes it sound so mild smh

When I'm fighting to stay awake during a bad crash, it feels just like fighting against anesthesia, or any sleep-inducing medicine... it's scary :[

Yes, before I realized trying to fight this desperate urge to sleep most of the day and night was making my illness worse, I would sit trying to do my studies at college with my head in my hands literally holding my eyelids open with my fingers, as you say "fighting to stay awake" - extremely scary and more so, because no-one understood around me (neither did I at the time as this was before diagnosis) and thought I was just weird!

At one point, my own mother screamed at me that she thought I was taking drugs because I had puffy bloodshot eyes with dark circles underneath and a visible tremor in my hands (this was during the early stages of my illness).

Marylib

@Husband of Hope you can get as much rest as possible. So many of us - if we could go back in time - wished we had been able to do that or chosen to do that. Work is work, so bills need to be paid - I get that. Sometimes just going into 'total sensory rest mode' whenever possible can be a big help. It can be boring and might feel weird at first, but it can sure help with healing!