• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Wheelchair Use; when, why and how?

ETA: I will be getting another ankle surgery soon and because I will have a cast on, being on the scooter will bring my being on the scooter a visible justification.

Confession: I've considered getting one of those walking cast boot thingies to wear while I'm in my wheelchair just to make myself feel like I appear more deserving of being in the wheelchair. If that's not the most ridiculous thought process, I don't know what is. But trust me, I totally get the stigma of invisible illnesses.

Good luck on your surgery!

purrsian

I haven't managed to read the whole thread, but enjoyed reading everyone's experiences and opinions on the first half of the thread. I have used a wheelchair several times now at retail trade fairs. Our trips are basically 3 full days walking constantly. After my long recovery from the first year I went, I decided to try a chair at our second year. Totally worth it. I could focus mentally as I wasn't struggling just to keep up. This year, I was feeling well so I decided I didn't need it - big mistake, a few hours in to the first day, felt like collapsing, used a chair for the rest of the trip. I still had to get up to walk around the stalls as they are too crowded, and I actually had one lady (who had spoken to me a few times as I wheeled around the outside of her stall) look at me in utter shock when I stood up lol I was like yup, a miracle just happened :D

It was difficult for me to realise the necessity, as I am completely capable of walking. I can walk some distance, although I need rests here and there at times. But when you're talking about a full day of activity, definitely worth it. I agree with @taniaaust1 about if you're limiting yourself, you need one. But you need to think about not just physically limiting yourself but also mentally - if you can't focus on your task or can't enjoy your day out, it's probably worth it. Also avoiding PEM is a big plus. Try hiring one when you next go somewhere like the shops. Gives you a feel for the pros and cons before actually buying one.