• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Wheelchair/Mobility Scooter Thread

kerrilyn

I like the looks of that travelscoot, so lightweight. Great idea.

I finally took the plunge and bought a transport chair. It will make it easier to venture out for 'walks' with my husband. I've lived in denial for so long and definitely walked a lot more than I should have ever attempted. Now I will be able to conserve more energy and hopefully get out of the house more often.

BEG

I finally took the plunge and bought a transport chair. It will make it easier to venture out for 'walks' with my husband. I've lived in denial for so long and definitely walked a lot more than I should have ever attempted. Now I will be able to conserve more energy and hopefully get out of the house more often.

That first step (getting some "wheels") is difficult to do, kerrilyn. I was slightly adjusted to it from riding the store carts. A transport chair is a good place to start. Very lightweight and easy to put into the trunk. I'm ready to notch it up a bit. Well, my decision was fueled by the fact that my husband, because of shoulder pain, is now reluctant to push the transport chair.

Long story short, I probably will have my JAZZY power (it's no longer wheel) chair in a couple weeks, paid 80% by Medicare. Keeping my fingers crossed that all the paperwork goes through. Here is a link:

http://www.pridemobility.com/jazzy/models.asp

Yay, wheels :victory:

spindrift

Plays With Voodoo Dollies
Wow Brown-eyed-Girl, nice ride!

Do you have a car that it fits in and a ramp so you can take it with you?

BEG

Hi spindrift,

How is your mobility vehicle working for you? I saw a picture. Wonderful.:Retro smile::Retro smile:

Well, no, to answer your question, but it's under discussion. More consulting work needs to be done with the salesman. I'm so excited. :victory: Thanks for asking.

BEG

spindrift

Plays With Voodoo Dollies
Hi spindrift,

How is your mobility vehicle working for you? I saw a picture. Wonderful.:Retro smile::Retro smile:

Well, no, to answer your question, but it's under discussion. More consulting work needs to be done with the salesman. I'm so excited. :victory: Thanks for asking.

BEG

My travel scoot is so fun. Feels so good to be able to go on longer trails again. I love that I can just pack it into my car
and take it with me where ever I go. That was the idea of getting one that fits into my car trunk. I could not afford a bigger
car. I have to be careful though, if I go out too long I am very exhausted the next day. It is just so hard to stop yourself
when you are having fun. ;)

Acero

[banned as spam]
Reclining wheelchair is really comfortable to use. I am glad that you are now in a positive attitude. Enjoy life to the fullest, don't let the wheelchair stop you from enjoying life.

Are there any ADA laws to help people in wheelchairs? I've been pushed in a wheelchair before, and am amazed at the people who feel it's okay to walk right in front of me and then get mad when they get hit. Or when in tight crowds someone get's their foot smashed because they are walking too close to the chair and then they make rude comments to me. Are their more than courtesy rules for this?

November Girl

Like an earlier poster, I've had times at medical facilities where there was nowhere I could lie down, or the staff was totally uncooperative. Maybe the next time I should just let myself faint instead of holding on for dear life! :angel:

November Girl

I wonder if it would help to attach a small, bright flag or banner to the chair, about 5 feet above groundlevel? Many people aren't too aware of their surroundings, and this might make them aware of your presence.

Are there any ADA laws to help people in wheelchairs? I've been pushed in a wheelchair before, and am amazed at the people who feel it's okay to walk right in front of me and then get mad when they get hit. Or when in tight crowds someone get's their foot smashed because they are walking too close to the chair and then they make rude comments to me. Are their more than courtesy rules for this?

Advocate

This thread has an enormous amount of valuable information in it, but here's something I didn't see mentioned--a wheelbench for those with severe orthostatic intolerance:

wheelbench2011-09-22 at 12.17.37 PM.jpg

Wikipedia has an article on wheelbenches.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
We bought a scooter a couple a weeks ago. It is SO nice and fun to use. I have POTS but I have improved a lot so I can walk in restaurants and small stores, but I cannot walk in really large stores. Blood will not stay in my heart and head. My w.chairs were ok, but this works so much better. Now hubby can push the cart and I can drive myself. Works great for walking my dog. It is easy to buy flowers now also. Hubby pushes the cart and I pick out the flowers.
nusery.jpg

scooter-1.jpg

Valentijn

This thread has an enormous amount of valuable information in it, but here's something I didn't see mentioned--a wheelbench for those with severe orthostatic intolerance:

I'm curious as to how they're self-propelled ... laying on the stomach or the back? This site had some more info, thought the author is only talking about back pain and seems unaware of OI: http://www.mosken.com/sit.html

Indoor/ Outdoor push chair

For a two-month stay in Rome this spring, I bought an Adaptive Star Lassen push chair -
http://www.adaptivestar.com/item.html?itemid=33

lassen stroller.JPG
At home in the U.S., I generally don't need a wheel chair, as I can walk short distances and otherwise can go by car. However, in Rome without a car, I needed a chair that could cope with the rough cobblestoned streets of the central city. (there aren't a lot of sidewalks). My husband and daughter took me all over, and the chair performed beautifully. It's very maneuverable, very sturdy, and the air-filled tires and spring suspension make it comfortable to ride in. It survived being gate-checked on 4 flights with no ill effects. And it was a pleasure to deal with the company that makes the chair. I had several long conversations with the owner before going ahead with the purchase; she wanted to ensure that I was getting the right chair for me and my needs.