• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What? Study Finds No Neuroinflammation in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS)

SWAlexander

Sorry if this is already posted.

Conclusion

A new and improved Dutch version of Nakatomi’s 2014 neuroinflammation study found no neuroinflammation at all in either ME/CFS or post-Q fever syndrome. While the study was quite small, the result is a reminder that whatever the popularity of the neuroinflammation hypothesis, it rests on a rather small direct evidentiary basis.

Besides Jarred Younger’s duo thermography/MRS study, the best evidence for neuroinflammation in ME/CFS probably lies in Loggia’s neuroinflammation findings in fibromyalgia, Gulf War Illness, and migraine. An accomplished neuroscientist with many neuroinflammation studies under his belt, Loggia’s findings of a rather unusual brain signature (widespread neuroinflammation) in FM, GWI, and migraine jives well with Nakatomi’s and Younger’s findings of the same.

While these studies provide indirect evidence of neuroinflammation in ME/CFS, more and larger studies that directly assess neuroinflammation are clearly needed to determine. Thankfully, several large NIH-funded studies are underway, including a 5-year study that was slated to wrap up a couple of months ago. Very large neuroinflammation studies are also expected in long COVID, one of which – a 200-person study – has started.
https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2...lammation-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-me-cfs/

Pyrrhus

Paper discussed here:

No signs of neuroinflammation in women with chronic fatigue syndrome or Q fever fatigue syndrome using the TSPO ligand [11C]-PK11195, 2021
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...using-the-tspo-ligand-11c-pk11195-2021.83547/

Spoiler: They used the outdated Fukuda diagnostic criteria instead of the International Consensus Criteria (ICC) to select patients for the study. They didn't even check their patients to see if they had PEM!

YippeeKi YOW !!

They used the outdated Fukuda diagnostic criteria instead of the International Consensus Criteria (ICC) to select patients for the study. They didn't even check their patients to see if they had PEM!
I'm stunned :wide-eyed::wide-eyed: :jaw-drop: :nervous: !!!!

Another study with hand-picked parameters that will be manipulable to prove or disprove whatever they're looking to support or deny.... :bang-head::bang-head::bang-head: