• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What is this horrible metallic taste??

juniemarie

Its all over my mouth my tongue my lips....when I touch my tongue on my skin even my skin has a metallic taste. Its driving me nuts. Has anyone else had this? Its like I have a giant wad of tinfoil in my mouth.

Stone

Yikes! Sounds terrible! Have you started any new meds lately? Do you have any guesses as to what might be causing it? Are you in a particularly bad flare or is anything else unusual going on?

did u use Lunesta to help with sleep? horrible aftertaste is acommon side-effect.
Its all over my mouth my tongue my lips....when I touch my tongue on my skin even my skin has a metallic taste. Its driving me nuts. Has anyone else had this? Its like I have a giant wad of tinfoil in my mouth.

Victoria

In the past, I used to get a terrible metallic taste when taking antibiotics (not other drugs).

Didn't get it a few months ago when I used antibiotics. I think this (& some other weird symptoms) arose when I was really, really ill in 2003/4.

I could also taste metal in foods way back many years ago when my brother lent me a microwave & I was trying to cook using it (for a trial only - I gave it back a few months later).

I always think I can taste metal in green vegetables when they have been microwaved.

Some people report metallic tastes when the mercury & toxin levels are high in their bodies.

juniemarie

No new meds at all, I hardly take anything. I searched the forum and a couple of people mentioned it but did not say what it was connected to, or if they got rid of it. When I try to google it I get everything from mold to too much iodine. So many symptoms overlap.
Salt helps a little, but it comes back. Sometimes vinegar has helped a bit. Too strange. Maybe my fillings are leeching mercury into my mouth???

kerrilyn

I think I've seen it listed as a symptom for CFS and B12 deficiency. I mentioned it to a naturopath and she said it can be a sign of zinc deficiency. I did a search on the net and have also seen it listed as a symptom of zinc toxicity too, so I agree, it's hard to know what the cause is. I have it too and it comes and goes. I also have a lot of fillings and wondered if that was part of it. It's definitely annoying.

I used to smell peanut butter and cigarette smoke very intensely like the source was right under my nose (and I've never smoked myself), but no one else in the room could smell it. So, I rarely trust my senses anymore!

Stone

I used to smell peanut butter and cigarette smoke very intensely like the source was right under my nose (and I've never smoked myself), but no one else in the room could smell it. So, I rarely trust my senses anymore!

Before my "sudden onset", I had weird symptoms that were so vague and strange I considered them nothing more than annoyances. One of those symptoms was smelling things that others couldn't smell. For a long time I smelled diesel fumes everywhere I went on an off and all hours of the day, then one day it turned to a smell I can only describe as "institutional chicken soup". I smelled it all the time. It drove me nuts. I've read that it's a type of seizure, not commonly recognized by your average neurologist. I've also read that this is something that is not unusual with CFS and it happens also with the ears, hearing things like ringing or hissing that others do not hear.

I dont think that this is of any relevance but radiation sickness is accompanied with a metallic taste in your mouth. At least all the people who worked at Tchernobyl to clean up after the meltdown reported it.

juniemarie

Hey guys I just thought of something that may be related?? For about 2 mos this winter or spring I was using colloidal silver as a deodorant and sometimes rubbed it on my chapped lips.....and sometimes sprayed it on some cuts on my leg...........What do you think? Could that be it? I have not turned blue yet LOL

juniemarie

Dont take Zinc. I am thinking the silver did it. And maybe given our inability to detox stuff properly its just sort of stuck in side me! What can I do to help detox it if it is the colloidal silver.

Hey guys I just thought of something that may be related?? For about 2 mos this winter or spring I was using colloidal silver as a deodorant and sometimes rubbed it on my chapped lips.....and sometimes sprayed it on some cuts on my leg...........What do you think? Could that be it? I have not turned blue yet LOL

I use it form cuts on my leg when I go camping I tend to itch all over and I end up ripping the skin and it turns really bad colloidal silver works on that, you shouldn't really have a problem with that, I haven't had anything like that happen but then agian everything works differently depending on the body. I have never heard of using colloidal silver as deoderant, what does this do? Does it pervent you from sweating, or does reduce odor?

Marg

I have seen the metallic taste in the mouth listed on lists of the symtoms of ME/CFS. I have had the taste of copper pennies in my mouth for years.

rlc

Hi juniemarie if you can, could you provide more information on what medications and suppliments your on, are you taking anything that contains Selenium, or copper, or foods like brazil nuts that contain high amounts of these things. is there any chance you've had any enviromental exposure to metals, have you had your kidneys checked recently or got any other strange symptoms. If you can provide this information i'll see if i can look up what's causing it for you.

all the best

Hi Juniemarie - I get that metallic taste when I'm going downhill. Not on any meds although I used to be on B12 injections monthly, but it makes no difference. I don't have it all the time, just when I'm particularly run down, and it's usually accompanied by 'fizzing' neurological sensations in my face. I also occasionally smell a burning rubber smell, which is a bit disconcerting.

richvank

Hi, Junemarie.

You might consider running the Doctor's Data whole blood elements test, which includes silver as well as 19 other metals. It's available through some doctors, or without a doctor's order from www.directlabs.com. They will send you the test kit and the name of a lab near you that will draw your blood sample. You can ship it to the lab with the included mailer. They will send the results back to you directly, by both email and postal mail. This test costs $249 when ordered through directlabs.com. You might be able to get a lower price through a doctor.

Best regards,

Rich

I had a metallic taste in my mouth-had many mouth ulcers until I started on Valtrex/Valcyte, and I haven't tasted it since, so I am wondering if for me it was some bleeding (iron in Hgb) from the ulcers.

juniemarie

Not on anything but LDN Metallic taste was before starting LDN. Not taking any supplements except Milk of Magnesia and antihistamine. I have some mercury fillings. Only other symptoms, outside of the "normal" list for CFS are hard acne like bumps on arms and scalp that never go away.