• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What is the best sleep medication for CFS patients?

Which sleep medication do you think would work best for us (CFS patients)?

• Amitriptyline (or other TCA)

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Trazodone

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Mirtazapine

• Quetiapine (Seroquel)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ambien

• Zolpidem

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

Husband of

Mirtazapine has worked for my wife but she hasn't tried the others so can't really vote on what works best

hmnr asg

Mirtazapine has worked for my wife but she hasn't tried the others so can't really vote on what works best

I really should have formulated my post differently. I should have asked : "do you believe any one particular sleep medication would be particularly appropriate for CFS patients, either from personal experience or just theoretically"...

Or similarly: "is there a particular sleep med that you would think is detrimental to CFS patients..."

I use seroquel when my sleep is in a rut but if I use it consistently I get RLS, from it or just tight back muscles especially in-between shoulder blades
Tight neck and back muscles between shoulder blades - this is exactly what I had when I was on Seroquel too - 2-3 nights and it became intolerable.

Seroquel lowers your dopamine level, so my guess this is the reason for the muscles spasms.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Tight neck and back muscles between shoulder blades - this is exactly what I had when I was on Seroquel too - 2-3 nights and it became intolerable.

Seroquel lowers your dopamine level, so my guess this is the reason for the muscles spasms.

Sounds like it. I could use it once a week and be fine but I couldn't use it nightly.

heapsreal

I really should have formulated my post differently. I should have asked : "do you believe any one particular sleep medication would be particularly appropriate for CFS patients, either from personal experience or just theoretically"...

Or similarly: "is there a particular sleep med that you would think is detrimental to CFS patients..."

I don't think so. To many individual variances.

heapsreal

I have a similar thread I posted a while back. The last 2 nights, to give me a break from sleep medications and help lower some tolerance, I've just taken high dose melatonin 20mg tablets, 80mg at night and 1 zolpidem, which is a significant reduction in my Z-drug/benzo's I use. So the last 2 nights I've slept well. I will continue this until it stops working I guess, than add the sleep meds at a lower dose hopefully.