• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What if we could ask an online supplement store to donate 5% to us?

How much do you spend on supplements

• 0<x<20

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • 20-40

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • 40-60

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • 60-80

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • 80-100

• 100-120

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • 120-140

• 140-160

• 160-180

• >180

Votes: 6 20.0%

• Total voters

leaves

I was thinking of ways to raise money. As many of us spend a lot on supplements (I spend more than $100 a month) I was thinking we are a very important customer group for online supplement stores such as vitaminshoppe, vitacost, iherb etc.
If we could somehow make a deal with one such store (e.g. we promise to buy there, if they donate x% to WPI). They could give us a special code that we could use when ordering.
what do you all think? Is that possible or do firms not do that?

I have included a poll for monthly expenses because that information may help if we decide to contact a supplement store.

leaves

Hmmm it is a sample size of 2 but it seems that I was overly conservative in my poll; people spend much more!!
That is good news in a way, but ... how to change the poll? anyone can help out here?

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire
It is a very good suggestion! I spend a large proportion of my monthly allowance at iherb. They already have a reward scheme in place which I don't use.

I'm guessing that iherb is the one most international customers use since they have very cheap shipping. Some sort of deal with them would be great.

garcia.

spindrift

Plays With Voodoo Dollies
Great idea Leaves! Lets try and figure out where most of us buy their supplements
so we know whom best to target for the request.

I have monthly auto-shipping set up at www.vitacost.com

leaves

I buy at both iherb and Vitacost. The advantage of those two is that they are cheap (important for us as most are on a budget) AND ship internationally. I think that vitaminshoppe is more expensive. Maybe there are more cheap ones we could try?

Imagine; already if we had 400 people ordering every month for on average $100, and we would get 5% that would be $2000 monthly for WPI!!! And we have so many on people on the forum here, it may be much more!

BTW Vitacost also sells gluten free stuff, all kinds of nuts and seeds, cleaning stuff, toothpaste etc for very low prices. So if you dont wanna go out...

I was thinking about this for a long time. I would may be propose a way how to raise some money for CFS research and also how to save some money of CFS patients who buy the supplements.
So I would propose elektronic procurement (I am not sure about if I found a good word). The patients would write how many supplements they woud like to buy. Then you make a call to the companies which sell the supplements that you want to buy some supplements for a group of patients and that there will be a competition throught the computer softwer(page) for elektronic procurement. It depends on the product but at average you can save with this system 30 %. Also for example if you want to buy some supplements just only for 100 dollars you will never get a discount like if we would be like a group which would like to buy for thousands of dollars. I have also a friend who does it and if you would find my idea good - I can ask him exactly how does it work. So then on the end everyone could decide how much he would like to send from the discount for the CFS research. Also normaly the personne who provides the electronic procurement ask - I dont know exactly how much but I think about 5 % from the price of the shopping - from the company who won the electronic competition. So we could ask also this provider to give us some % from this money for the research. And we could do this not only with medical supplement but also with other things which we buy like for example computers, office stuffs (paper, printers,...), cars,....whatever we buy. And it doesnt have to be only patients but also our friends, families and other people who would like just only to save money. Whit bigger group of the people you may be need a bigger cooperation but at least we can try it once. Just if you like my idea let me know and i will ask my friend if its also possible to manage it for bigger group and which kind of things are good for this way of buying. Hopefully I could explain good my idea with my english.
And on the end here is a small calculation:
If there would be for example 500 people who would like to buy supplement everyone at average for 100 dollars so we would make together the shopping for 50 000 dollars.I will be little bit pesimistic so lets say that we would get 20 % discount - so its 10 000 dollars - so this could we use for CFS research. Also the personne who provides the system would get 5 % from 50 000 dollars - what is next 2 500 dollars and we could get also some dollars from this sum

So do you think are we able to organise something like this?

leaves

Hi All,

Great that people like this Idea !
Michal what you propose sounds a bit complicated. I think it is easier to ask the company for a coupon code that we can then type in whenever we make an order. Then they can transfer the 5% money to the WPI account. That is more efficient both for us and for them.
SO I guess the next step is to write a letter and send it to them, or is calling better? I have no experience at all with this, and do not live in the US for so long yet. Could someone please help me on my way here?

jace

Off the fence
Though I'm in the UK, I buy from Iherb too, two supplements at present but it could be more. Maybe this is a bit simplistic but if we put together a letter to the MD/marketing dept/I don't know/.. to say that we would give them free publicity on this and other CFS forums (many members here are on other forums too) if they were prepared to send a cut to the WPI.

Maybe we should ask for 10% :D;)

Andrew

I just remembered something. Life Extensions donates lots of money to one of the cutting edge prostate cancer research groups. I wonder if they would do the same for WPI.

leaves

Hey all,

I was thinking about how to contact them. I am not sure how to go about and afraid they wont take me serious when I contact them. Is it a good idea to ask someone like Dr Donnica to do so instead? What do you all think?

caledonia

I like the idea.

Prohealth gives money to many organizations including WPI, but it seems so spread out that it would have little impact.
http://www.prohealth.com/aboutus/funding.cfm

Igive.com is another possibility. There are several vitamin stores already participating. http://www.igive.com/html/merchantlist2.cfm

And you can donate money just by searching the web using http://isearch.igive.com/ Whittemore Peterson Institute is already on the list of causes. They have gotten $400 through igive already.

If you want to set up something with a company, I would contact them by phone and maybe talk to marketing? You need to find someone who has the power to set this up. They could probably at least point you in the right direction. If they can't, then ask them who can.

I buy mainly through my naturopath, a few things from needs.com and occasionally my local health food store.