• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What heavy metal/mercury protocol is best?

Hi everyone, I’ve been reading a lot of the pros and cons of heavy metal detox protocols.

I’ve read the most about Andy Cutlers protocol but it seems very complicated and I can’t take a lot of the vitamins that are a must if you do his protocol.

I’m open to other protocols but I’m now scared of redistribution after reading about Andy Cutlers.

I’ve read a bit about modified citrus pectin as well, but I see that there’s not a lot of real proof that it works.

My main problem is that I see so much controversy over all of these protocols and I’m just wondering what protocol has seemed to work best/ be the most popular here?

Wishful

Do your blood tests show elevated levels of heavy metals? If not, you shouldn't expect much effect from reducing them further. Marketers who want your money will argue otherwise, of course.

Hi @Wishful, I have elevated lead, mercury, and arsenic on a provocation test with DMSAI did a challenge test with DMSA (urine). The pre provocation test showed almost no lead and mercury, so I could assume that my detox pathways are not working optimally.

Last edited:
This is a question I would like to know the answer to as well.

Does modified citrus pectin remove mercury from the brain? Is there any safe alternative to ALA?

Wishful

The pre provocation test showed almost no lead and mercury, so I could assume that my detox pathways are not working optimally.

Provocation testing is controversial. Provocation raises the level of metals in urine, but there isn't much knowledge about what that actually means in terms of the patient's health. Provocation testers can make up whatever interpretation of the results they feel like, and using it to justify expensive chelating treatments is obviously tempting.

Here's one side of the debate:

https://quackwatch.org/related/tests/urine_toxic/

I recommend searching for some peer-reviewed papers too, to get a more balanced perspective.

Hi everyone, I’ve been reading a lot of the pros and cons of heavy metal detox protocols.

I’ve read the most about Andy Cutlers protocol but it seems very complicated and I can’t take a lot of the vitamins that are a must if you do his protocol.

I’m open to other protocols but I’m now scared of redistribution after reading about Andy Cutlers.

I’ve read a bit about modified citrus pectin as well, but I see that there’s not a lot of real proof that it works.

My main problem is that I see so much controversy over all of these protocols and I’m just wondering what protocol has seemed to work best/ be the most popular here?

I did EDTA, DMSA, ALA, emeramide and found emeramide to be best for me. It was cheap compared to how much time, money, and side-effects I experienced. I get mine from medkoo and I have a 20g vial of it which I didn't finish but I don't need it anymore as it is not useful anymore and my mercury levels have nearly bottomed out but not zero. My liver biopsy might give some clues as to what is going on. I noticed if I overdid the emeramide, such as taking 500mg a day for several day, the glutathione on my blood tests would be lower than the reference range. Thus, I sometimes take 100mg if I were to eat fish, otherwise when eating fish I would get a headache. Interestingly, the emeramide lowered my ALT from 120 to 40 although now emeramide has no lowering effect on ALT anymore. Interesting stuff.

frozenborderline

im curious about osr/emeramide. even on wikipedia which could sometimes be biased against this illness and environmental diseases, they consider it far safer than other chelators bc of binding mercury so thoroughly. thoughts?

I did EDTA, DMSA, ALA, and emeramide (not at the same time) and in my experience emeramide is faster, cheaper, and has less side-effects. I know some people have trouble finding it, I get mine from medkoo and I am not done with the 20.0g vial and when I started I did a 5.0g vial to see if it would be useful for me and it was. It lowered my ALT from 120 to 40 in a week, which was unexpected, and decreased my chemical sensitivities and fatigue for a little while. I later found out I have <dl succinate, even after using emeramide and that could be due to aluminum toxicity which I will investigate after my liver biopsy at the end of the month.