• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What does low homocysteine mean

Aerose91

Every time i have homocysteine checked it's low or low normal. Most recently it was 4.7. I know most here have high homocysteine so is this a good thing?

pamojja

From https://www.labtestanalyzer.com, referring to lower than optimal ranges. (note: labtestanalyzer is a very young project of Joe Cohen, therefore always check it's references yourself)

Optimal Range: 5 - 9 umol/L

Homocysteine is necessary for the production of factors important for detoxification. Low homocysteine may restrict detoxification pathways that respond to oxidative stress [R].

Low homocysteine is associated with nerve damage of unknown cause (idiopathic peripheral neuropathy) [R].

Make sure your diet is well-balanced. Homocysteine is produced from the amino-acid methionine. Your diet should include enough methionine-rich foods, such as beef, lamb, turkey, pork, fish, shellfish, cheese, eggs, dairy, nuts, soy, and beans.

Supplements that can help:
  • Methionine [R]

Aerose91

Thanks @pamojja

That's interesting because i eat ketogenic so i eat mostly those methionine containing foods. Maybe it would be even lower if i didn't eat that way

Rooney

I've never figured out how to do proper methylation for my illness. As in my energy has never improved, so I don't know what the heck is going on. 23 and me showed several gene kinks and Klimas asked me to be in her recent folate trial, but I declined as I have this low homocysteine problem.

I do need my mb12 injection or oils I get from Australia which stop my hand tremors. Potassium pills daily and adding folate took away very frequent headaches. When I ran out or forgot the folate, I'd have odd pain in my neck or chest.