• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What a surprise - gut bad = m.e bad

Mick

Each Amino Acid Patch contains:
Lysine USP 12.75mg, Phenylalanine 11.25mg, Leucine 11.19mg, Valine 10.5 mg, Isoleucine 8.25mg, Methionine 8.25mg, Threonine 8.25mg, Tryptophan 3mg, Tyrosine 1.5mg
This seems to be a very very very very low dose. That reminds of effervescent tablets that had 2 mgs of magnesium in one tablet and in the form of magnesium oxide which has very poor absorption itself. But they were cheap, advertised, the brand was well known and people bought them. Shame on the manufacturers that they sold people such a crap.
How many patches a day? Why patches? Do you have real stomach problems of that magnitude? If not then the answer is simple. Just buy essential aminoacids like this one:
https://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/essential-amino-acids.html
This one is still quite expensive and not the best composition.
I use this one (but I suppose you will not be ordering from Poland, that would not make any sense):
https://ostrovit.com/product-eng-24235-Ostrovit-Supreme-Pure-EAA-400-g.html
It is 4 times cheaper and it has a better composition, yet not the best one. But you can adjust your composition by buying single aminoacids and adding them.

For example, if you are sleepy then you might want to try aspartic acid. It's quite abundant in meat and probably that's why meat causes you to feel so good. I somewhat managed to find my perfect combination. Scratch that, a sufficient combination. I added aspartic acid for example and everything changed for the better. Of course not much better but still.

I can't eat meat, nor milk, nor eggs, nor even beans - sensitivities. But if you don't have these sensitivities it'd be probably best to buy some whey concentrate. Even collagen *hydrolyzate* is a good protein too, as long as it is hydrolyzate and you're not sensitive. So amino acids are a very save option but also kind of difficult to control. There are many more caveats.

If you write about your specific problem I might be able to point out what else to do. Perhaps you even wrote that but I kind of can't read through that thread again - too tired / don't want to.

PS. if these amino acids quantities are in mgs then you could easily ingest these quantities but in grams (without milli-). This means that this patch has a thousand times weaker strength than it should have.

Mick

PS2. Adding aminoacids like Tryptophan, Tyrosine, and GABA is very very tricky.
You should add them in very small increments.
They made me sick/sleepy too.

Even if lysine doesn't seem to make any difference it does make a difference, especially if you have a viral load of some kind. I also have problems with herpes - it doesn't show but it does itch. But when on lysine it doesn't itch anymore. So you never know...

lenora

Not enough information :)

Gut bacteria imbalance starts and ends with diet. You're eating stuff that is bad for your gut bacteria, but only you can tell what that is.

(1) Eliminate harmful food (sugar, carbs, emulsifiers, preservatives).
(2) Add prebiotics and probiotics.
(3) Give it a few months.

Antibiotics make intestinal issues worse also. It's hard to find the name of a good prebiotic and I can't remember the name of the probiotic I used to take. Yours, Lenora. Good luck in your search. Your,s Lenora.

Last edited by a moderator:

EddieB

This seems to be a very very very very low dose.
The maker claims that because of the higher absorption, these doses are proportional.
How many patches a day?
As many as you want, but they recommend one for 12-24 hours per day.
Do you have real stomach problems of that magnitude?
Yes. Everything makes me sick.

I appreciate your input, but as you can see, this is quite difficult. Perhaps my gastrologist is correct and this is a neurological/chemical problem. Without proper digestion/absorption, chemicals/compounds cannot be produced, without the chemicals/compounds, digestion doesn’t work. Chicken vs egg thing.

The only clue I have at this time, is that the antidepressant I was on did bring relief for a short period of time.

lenora

The maker claims that because of the higher absorption, these doses are proportional.

As many as you want, but they recommend one for 12-24 hours per day.

Yes. Everything makes me sick.

I appreciate your input, but as you can see, this is quite difficult. Perhaps my gastrologist is correct and this is a neurological/chemical problem. Without proper digestion/absorption, chemicals/compounds cannot be produced, without the chemicals/compounds, digestion doesn’t work. Chicken vs egg thing.

The only clue I have at this time, is that the antidepressant I was on did bring relief for a short period of time.

Eddie....If the antidepressant worked, perhaps it's a low serotonin problem. Perhaps you should discuss it with him. Yours, Lenora.

EddieB

Eddie....If the antidepressant worked, perhaps it's a low serotonin problem
Yes, that’s what he thinks it is. He is referring me to a physc.

But all they have is more drugs, and I don’t think there’s a drug that can make serotonin. I’m not really depressed (other than sick of being sick), from what I’ve read brain serotonin is separate from gut serotonin anyway. I was hoping to find a way to increase it, but with a super-fragile gut already, “eating” my way well isn't likely.

A list of possibles...
Defective gene that blocks serotonin production?
Damaged microbiome, preventing serotonin production?
Post viral neurological damage?

Last edited:

Mick

Yeah, they always claim that. It's almost pathetic.
Compare with this page:
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324019

"Taking lysine supplements is very safe and does not seem to cause many side effects. Most people can take a daily dose of up to 3 grams (g) of lysine without any side effects."

"Researchers estimate that a 70 kilogram (kg) person needs around 800–3,000 mg of lysine per day. A person’s body weight affects how much they need as follows:

• 12 mg/kg of body weight for adults"
And if we rely mostly on supplementation (because our diet can't contain proteins because for example we are allergic to almost any protein - like I am) then we need to take values from the upper range and if we seek pharmacological effects (like fighting herpes) we need to take even more. Moreover if you are protein deficient lysine will be converted to other AAs before it reaches its intended destination. So you take it and take it and nothing happens; just the opposite: some pathways will exhaust cofactors (or whatever) and it will make you feel worse. This applies not particularly to lysine but rather to different vitamins and/or minerals.
So, it's just to warn you, that it can really make you crazy.
This may happen with vitamin B1 for example.
So now you take multivitamin B (in order not to exhaust one pathway) and magnesium and it makes you worse again!
And now it's because this multivitamin contains a large amount of folic acid (600 mg and folic acid not folate) as well as niacinamide which makes me feel awful, drowsy, sleepy.
So... no matter what I did something always failed.

It took me a few years to figure this out. Wasted years...

What kind of relief?
Bear in mind that it will bring relief no matter what - that's how powerful these drugs are.
When I was given antidepressant it felt that like it takes some load off of me (so it helped) but it also stopped me from pursuing further diagnosis while I was still deteriorating.
Do you think that it rather affects your mind or rather your gut?
From my experience (not my case but also a few others), I can tell that it's not the brain that affects the gut (or something else, anything) but the other way around - the gut affects the brain and you need to heal the gut to heal the brain.
Yes, there is a chemical imbalance in your brain, sure. And you can even take an antidepressant for it - just to try. But in the long run it won't help.
What helped me? B12, B6, B1, omega-3, choline (as I was even deficient in omega-3 and choline due to eating a vegan diet for 3 years; but this vegan diet of mine was very poor because I had to eliminate many foods from it).

Perhaps my gastrologist is correct and this is a neurological/chemical problem.
As pointed out above, he is correct, but he is not right. Doctors love to use pacifiers. They use just a few tricks to check for most important things but when they run out of tricks... I'm sure you read it all before on this forum how doctors get rid of the CFS patients. Frankly, it's no wonder that they do that. One complicated CFS case might take up all of their time. Because to get to the bottom of it... it is extremely difficult. And most of the time it happens by accident. So it's better for the doctor to pretend to be all-knowing and decide that it's all in your mind. Because it may be and if it's not at least they will make you feel better.

It's hard to handle doctors. You might want to get a second opinion which is not a bad idea if it is possible for you not to reveal that you were recently diagnosed by another doctor. Or when you can get to someone supposedly smarter (a renowned professor but that often doesn't mean anything). Or when you can get to someone who can do a specific procedure or deals with a specific type of diagnosis. I don't know your specific diagnostic situation but I was really looking for someone who would specialize here in IBS-c. I didn't find anyone even though they wrote papers about it. They wrote papers but they actually didn't apply this knowledge to "problematic" patients like me or they didn't see patients at all. I usually call a medical secretary where they work or lab technicians on site and I usually find everything about them. Of course I start with whining - that I am unable to travel (which is true) and I'd like to know if this and that doctor could help. Then I tell them that I always call the lab and they always tell me - which is also true. They usually know and are more than willing to tell me...

So, what to do in terms of supplements:
- start from the beginning; if you know what helped you and what not then you may be able to tell what is going on
- take all the supplements that are available (starting from vitamins, ending with phytonutrients)
- adjust accordingly; retry once in a while; one supplement may hurt you at one time but when you stabilize because you take other supplements you may be able to take this one supplement....

EddieB

So you take it and take it and nothing happens; just the opposite: some pathways will exhaust cofactors (or whatever) and it will make you feel worse.
I’m taking a break right now, but I had been taking 2gm lysine daily for months. Are you saying take it or don’t take it?

What helped me? B12, B6, B1, omega-3, choline (as I was even deficient in omega-3 and choline due to eating a vegan diet for 3 years; but this vegan diet of mine was very poor because I had to eliminate many foods from it).
I am taking vitamin D, methylated B6, B12, folate. I eat a fair amount of protein daily. Good multi vitamin every other day.

What kind of relief?
Initially it made me very sick, a worsting of all symptoms. Then after about 6 weeks, I began to feel somewhat better. Not 100%, maybe 75, but better than I’d been in quite a while.

It's hard to handle doctors. You might want to get a second opinion
I’ve been seen by a lot of doctors over the years, and Ive had some that were pretty awful. I currently have a gastrologist, immunologist, hematologist and a primary care. For the area where I live, it’s about as good as it’s going to get. The gastro isn’t trying to get rid of me, he’s just doesn’t know what to do next. His wife is a psychiatrist, he’s trying to arrange for me to see her.

So, what to do in terms of supplements
So far I’ve yet to find anything that really “helps”, a handful are tolerable, the rest make me worse.

I think you said, you found out you were deficient through testing. So far, everything I’ve been tested for comes up normal, with the exception of a low platelet count and a low white cell count. But oddly enough, during the period I felt better on the AD, those levels came up into normal range.

Mick

I’m taking a break right now, but I had been taking 2gm lysine daily for months. Are you saying take it or don’t take it?
I don't know if you absorb proteins/aminoacids well.
I had this period of 3 months when no matter what I took or what I ate I kept losing weight. I had severe gastritis (confirmed by endoscopy). Of course, they wrote: mild gastritis, barely visible. So... nothing to worry about it would seem. And no drug would help only zinc carnosine. I immediately felt relief (after an hour of taking it). After 6 weeks of taking it I felt that something is going on again. This time these were signs of zinc deficiency vanishing. I would have never guessed that I had zinc deficiency. Simply because 3 years earlier I had a zinc blood test done and it was OK. So severe deficiency can't develop within 3 years, right? Wrong. After that test I was on a tablet that contained 10 mg of zinc oxide. So it may absorb not as efficiently as other forms but it still absorbs, right? Wrong again. The zinc blood test is a BS. The body may keep the level but be deficient (as with many other minerals). I know for sure that I was deficient even when taking this test. Then the zinc oxide in the tablet doesn't absorb almost at all (it's 1% of absorption afair). Add to that gut inflammation (because it was not only gastritis but my whole gut was inflamed but they will not tell you that because they have no means to examine it, ie. they do but with the so-called capsule endoscopy but it is expensive and not widely available). So this one zinc deficiency made me aware that I may be deficient in all nutrients. It was in January of 2017. Despite the fact that I knew I still haven't brought all other nutrients to a normal level which shows how difficult it is and also that if you are deficient you are not thinking straight. You just can't think due to brain fog. Now I'm much better but not as good as it should be.

I eat a fair amount of protein daily.
I didn't notice that at first. If you do eat protein then it may still be not absorbed. Worse, it may cause gut inflammation due to sensitivities/allergies. Does your gut feel better when fasting?

Then after about 6 weeks, I began to feel somewhat better.
But what felt better - your gut or your overall mood or stamina?

I think you said, you found out you were deficient through testing.
No, just the opposite. I'm not saying that testing is bad. I've tested a lot, spent a lot. I could buy a small apartment if I didn't test. But it almost never brought me immediate answers like the test showed that I had a deficiency. Only after a careful analysis I was able to confirm that indeed I had a deficiency. One example is protein deficiency. They measure albumin content in blood when you do calcium blood test. But albumin is just a parameter that is never raported as deficient, it's just an auxiliary parameter that is printed but not flagged. But still I made a nice diagram of the values that were measured over the years. In 2005 I had 55 units and in 2016 just above 35. That's the difference! If you look for the normal range for albumin you will see that 55 and above 35 is still within normal limits but when this kind of difference is noticed as in my case it just can't be normal.
And so it was with every damn parameter, every deficiency, except for vitamin D. But I found about vitamin D in 2002 when there were no OTC supplements available in Poland and no doctor wanted to prescribe me a higher dose. They were scared of side effects, they knew nothing how it affects fatigue and general well-being. And so, it was easier for me to arrange to buy high-dose vitamin D at puritanpride site than to make them prescribe me vitamin D. I went to every possible doctor, I had my bones examines (X-ray densitometry) and it was OK... so the answer was: your bones are OK so get the f..k out here (almost doctor's exact words).
And we all know that it is ridiculous not to prescribe a high dose vitamin D to someone who is below detection level.
These days people and other doctors shout at me: but it's obvious that vitamin D had to be prescribed, you're making this story up... yeah, right.
So the point is that you can't trust doctors. They live in their world of fantasy, sometimes called routine. If you have a symptom A then routinely you will get a treatment X, symptom B -> treatment Y, etc.

And it this way we arrive at this topic...

The gastro isn’t trying to get rid of me, he’s just doesn’t know what to do next. His wife is a psychiatrist, he’s trying to arrange for me to see her.

I was in a similar situation - multiple times. I was referred to psych for the very same reasons. This allergologist simply didn't know what to do with me next but he had a friend who was a very good psychiatrist who helped a lot of people. Seeing him may help me too as I obviously have problems with engaging with other people. Obviously - if you are unable to even stay conscious/clear-minded for an hour... but what do I know, I'm just a patient. He knows better and this psych knows even better.

So I can see the scheme here: that lady may be great, may have helped a lot of patients. He keeps hearing about it probably every day after work and probably not that much about failed cases which only re-appear when they are cured somehow - so it's like always a success - sooner or later but a success. But this still doesn't mean that she can help you or that these cases were indeed psych cases from the beginning.

I asked this allergologist of mine: this your psychiatrist friend of yours - what's his success rate?
He replied: well, I don't know but it must be as high as 90% because every patient that I refer to him returns to me and says that he helped this patient. Of course, the success rate will be that high because of the way how it's measured. A patient is counted as a success if there is clinical progress, any clinical progress, even a small one. For example if the patient stops obsessing/thinking about his/her disease all the time... :)

But I'm not saying that you shouldn't go. If your insurance pays for it, then it may be prudent to go. But also be aware that in some countries going to a psych will brand you for good and no doctor will treat you seriously. In such a case, if another doctor asks: have you been to a psychiatrist? - I always anser, yes, I have been to one, I was prescribed drugs, and they didn't help, just the opposite, I wasted a lot of time doing nothing because I just stopped caring for a while.
So, to sum up, a psychiatrist may help, but you should stay alert.

I almost stopped going to any doctor at all because we are simply running around in circles (I say the same over and over again and they reply the same over and over again). And now there's this stupid coronavirus... which makes things even more complicated because many doctors simply increased their fees due to increased risk. But that's me - I hope that I manage somehow to diagnose and treat myself which may not be the case for you. I wasted at least 15 years trying to find a diagnosis so I have a lot of experience and now I use it.

Last edited by a moderator:

lenora

Is it legal for a Dr. to recommend his wife as a psychiatrist? You can't even be a friend of a psychiatrist in TX. I just find it odd that he would be able to refer you to her.

Also, it's a shame you have to spend so much money on tests, doctors' the whole affair, but I think you've been given some pretty good advice.

I know that some drugs can change the body very quickly, while others linger longer. I take Keppra and I have to have it checked every two weeks, b/c in my body it can go from low to high (and dangerous) in a very short time period. That's why I doubt the validity of so many tests....how fast is the body processing it? That's something that hasn't been answered yet, but a test for it would be a wonderful thing.

My husband takes lysine for cold sores. He finds it's far more effective than the prescription drugs, but it took me years and years before I could even get him to try it. Now he's the world's biggest fan b/c it really has cut down on the number of outbreaks he has. I'll have an outbreak of one or two every five years or so. Interesting, isn't it...the body and how it reacts I mean. Good luck with your GI problems. Yours, Lenora.

Mick

but it took me years and years before I could even get him to try it.
Now, of course, you have to make him quit arginine containing foods, incl. some meats (other meats may be even fine). He will have even fewer outbreaks. But that may be even more difficult, I know that stubborn type. And of course, the basic line of defense against viruses like that is vitamin D.

lenora

Thanks, Mick, I'll pass it on to him. It's odd, he'll listen if his doctor tells him to take something, but for years and years I read up on vitamins/supplements and he wouldn't listen to a thing I said. Out of interest, and to protect you, Rod had two coronary arrests (you're just dead, these are different than heart attacks), on the same day. I'd had him on CoQ10.....which becomes Ubiquinol once you reach 45, I think. Anyway, it would appear that being on the enzyme protected his heart and kept him alive. Again, there are so many charlatans out there, including half the vendors on Amazon, that buying in a quality vitamin or grocery store leaning that way, may be your best way to go.

Since Rod's cardiac arrests, plenty of studies have shown that it does, indeed, work. One of the few, but it's an important one. Feel better; stay healthier. Yours, Lenora

EddieB

Thank you so much for taking the time to try and help me.
But what felt better - your gut or your overall mood or stamina?
Yes, in general, everything felt better. I was able to do some yard work, eat some red meat, gain some weight.
The nausea/sick feeling backed off. Again, not completely, but a far better state than I’m in now.

Is it legal for a Dr. to recommend his wife as a psychiatrist?
Not sure about that one. I saw it as a plus, as I’m not being seen/treated for depression, supposedly it’s to discuss medications. The theory he’s going on, is that I need to produce more gut serotonin. The antidepressant, mirtazapine, is known as a “dirty” drug, in that it has a lot of secondary actions. All we’re really hoping to get from her is some speculation as to why it helped, and whether or not to try something else. Again, I live in semi rural area and there are very few doctors to choose from.

And no drug would help only zinc carnosine. I immediately felt relief (after an hour of taking it
That something I have not tried. What form do you use, how much, how often?

lenora

Mick, if you decide to go on the zinc carnosine be sure to mention it to your Dr. and his wife, if you do go to her. Sometimes prescription drugs and vitamins don't mix together very well. Why am I telling you this?.... I have a feeling you know these things. Yours Lenora.

Mick

The theory he’s going on, is that I need to produce more gut serotonin. The antidepressant, mirtazapine, is known as a “dirty” drug, in that it has a lot of secondary actions.
Before we start considering some crazy theories (because this "gut requires more serotonin" theory is quite crazy but I will not dwell on that this time but basically we still don't know what serotonin is doing in the gut so it's hard to say if it's good or bad to have too much or just the opposite) let's just think about it how this drug may work. Based on this:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6494141/pdf/CNS-7-249.pdf
we can see that it's antiemetic.

Yes, in general, everything felt better. I was able to do some yard work, eat some red meat, gain some weight.
The nausea/sick feeling backed off. Again, not completely, but a far better state than I’m in now.
No wonder, it's an antiemetic!!!

OK, why else it may make you feel better?
It's a strong antihistamine (H1 receptor blocker). So if you're allergic to anything then it may stop the allergy and thus make you feel better.

So what would I do? (but: that's just me and remember that you have to stop taking mirtazapine and any drugs like mirtazapine very very slowly and probably talk about it with your doctor).
I would stop taking mirtazapine and start taking an antihistamine (Zyrtec, Allegra - all OTC):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H1_antagonist#Over-the-counter
and see what happens. I don't know if I would use any additional antiemetic, I don't recall anything worth taking and without side effects. But that's OK, maybe an antihistamine would help?

All we’re really hoping to get from her is some speculation as to why it helped, and whether or not to try something else.
Yeah, that's what they always say, and pretty soon you end up in a worse condition and dependent on other drugs (we only need to try this one and this one - they say). How to trick a patient into trying new things and into giving up to the psychs? Well, this is just the right way.

EDIT: And this is by no means a conspiracy theory. You may as well go and see the psych. Just to see what she tells you. But what I say is that you always have to be in control because it's quite unbelievable how it all turns out when you are not aware.
If you go to a doctor or a psych this may go like that: if you look sad and painful then of course you must have depression. If you joke a little it means that you are not that sick and you're not suffering that much. If your leg hurts and you can't walk then you are told to put weight on it and, when asked, you obey. So this supposedly means that you are just exaggerating and actually you should go and live your life. This all actually happened to me. These are the ingenious ways to diagnose a patient. The doctor can show his/her perceptiveness, show how smart he/she is etc. But this is all just a terrible misunderstanding. And when confronted after many years that his diagnosis was not only incorrect but also simply stupid? The answer is: back at that time there were no obvious clues to make that diagnosis. And we don't treat suspicions only facts. Of course there weren't clues because the doctor more or less assumed that there weren't. These are sometimes strange, illogical assumptions. For example, when your symptoms point to a rare disease and you ask for a test to confirm it you may hear the answer: this disease is so rare that it's simply impossible that you have it. Lucky me, I had it afterall. Unfortunately, it had nothing to do with CFS though I thought it might.

Last edited:

EddieB

Again, thank you for your interest and help...
we can see that it's antiemetic
Ok, this is where it gets confusing. I have been given several anti nausea drugs over the years, all with the same out come, HORRIBLE nausea. These drugs work on blocking (antagonist) of the 5ht3 serotonin. Mirtazapine, as you discovered, is a strong 5ht3 antagonist. This was why I was so against trying it in the first place, after researching it, I knew what would happen. Sure enough, within minutes of the first dose, wretched nausea. I called the doctor the next day, he insisted that I would have to push through and it would improve. And I did, but you know the story.

I’ve also tried the antihistamines. Yes, they block the 5ht1. They did no harm, but no help either. Well, except I have an extremely enlarged prostate, and they really affect it. Btw, low serotonin is linked to benign prostate enlargement.

So again, back to theorizing on serotonin. IF there wasn’t enough serotonin to begin with, and IF drugs that block it make it worse, does this mean something?

I would stop taking mirtazapine
Yes, I’ve stopped. But I’m better in some ways, worse in others. The good, overall fatigue is slightly better, appetite better, restless leg better, some weight gain. The bad, neurological symptoms returned (skin sensitivity/pin pricks), gut pain return, constant awareness of gut function.

Please tell me more about the zinc carnosine. I was tested, like you, normal. But that means nothing.
What brand, form (capsules, liquid), how much per day, etc?

Last edited:

Mick

Btw, low serotonin is linked to benign prostate enlargement.
I can't remember for sure (this means: check with dr Google just in case) but as far as I remember gut serotonin has nothing to do with brain serotonin and probably prostate serotonin. Simply: serotonin is produced there (gut, brain, prostate) and consumed immediately on the spot. Of course, too much of serotonin is produced in the prostate and that's why it's bad for you. Whether mirtazapine works within the prostate - it is a question hard to answer (again: to check with dr Google). I searched for "mirtazapine prostate" and did not get a clear answer but Google came up with 2 interesting papers:

Mirtazapine Inhibits Tumor Growth via Immune Response and Serotonergic System
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3396612/

Growth-inhibitory Effects of Serotonin Uptake Inhibitors on Human Prostate Carcinoma Cell Lines
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/7776439/

None of these mention mirtazapine specifically but there is a chance that it is slowing down the overgrowth, makes it more hormonally friendly, ie. prostate would then stop excreting very bad hormonal compounds that make you feel bad. Then again if mirtazapine was a useful drug in prostate hyperplasia therapy then it would have been used in therapy long time ago... at least there would be some studies... but maybe these are still to come...

I assume that you take plant sterols to battle this hyperplasia?
I take this (not for hyperplasia but to fight the cholesterol):
iherb.com/pr/Source-Naturals-Mega-Strength-Beta-Sitosterol-375-mg-120-Tablets/2451

You can even take 3 tablets a day.
Compare with this one:
iherb.com/pr/Jarrow-Formulas-Saw-Palmetto-160-mg-120-Softgels/294
You might have been prescribed this one or a similar one. Doctors do that, I know someone who was prescribed.

Source Naturals Beta Sitosterol yields 2800 mg of phytosterols and Jarrow Formulas Saw Palmetto yields 100 mg. So, these simply don't compare...
And pretty soon you may find that Jarrow is ineffective while Source Natural is.

In any case, I would also try to make the prostate less inflamed - all anti-inflammatory supplements would be fine. I don't recall at the moment what else can be done to take care of prostate but... you should do it in order to find if it affects you through hormonal effects.

Please tell me more about the zinc carnosine.

I used this one:
iherb.com/pr/Doctor-s-Best-PepZin-GI-Zinc-L-Carnosine-Complex-120-Veggie-Caps/2467

They recommend 2 capsules a day - probably one in the morning and one in the evening.
And that is rather enough because this way you get more than your daily dose of zinc.
After some time you should even reduce the dose to 1 capsule a day thus receiving 100% or zinc RDA a day.

The best thing about zinc carnosine is that it isn't actually a drug but zinc + aminoacid and that's why it's not harmful at all.