• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Water free washing (hair and body)

Orla

I heard about this product from someone with ME/CFS and have used it myself.

There is a shampoo and conditioner that you can use that you apply and don't need to rinse out. This means it can be done in bed or sitting on a chair, without needing to go to a shower or bath (which is more energy consuming). So you might be able to get your hair washed even if you don't have te energy to take a shower or bath. Greasy hair drives me crazy so I find this is a great product for low energy days where I really want to wash my hair.

I find the shampoo and conditioner very good (probably not quite as good as washing with water but almost). It doesn't feel like you have a load of shampoo left in the hair afterwards.

There is also a body washing product but I have not tried that yet.

Sources (you can also do a search for no rinse shampoo to find other sources)

US: http://www.norinse.com/index.htm

UK (will also ship to Ireland): http://www.norinse.co.uk/home.php

Orla

R

Robin

Wow, thanks for this, Orla.

I have had a tough time with showers and hair washing so I'm going to try it out. It's available on Amazon! Greasy hair is my pet peeve too.

K

Katie

In the UK Charles Worthington and Lee Stafford (Boots online) do dry shampoos too. In fact, here's a load of them from Boots online, some of them cheap and cheerful too Boots - Dry Shampoo

sarahg

Admin Assistant
cornstarch works too and it's much cheaper. just shake it on and brush it out. I used to do this for camping or concerts or stuff like that. If you put it in a shaker (like a larger reused one from herbs or spices) you can add a few drops of essential oil and shake it up to mix it. Living in a house with no running water for nearly the first 2 years I was sick, I'll admit I did this once and a while...but that I normally just rocked my "too sick to stand up in a shower" look.

I'm not joking that I learned this reading "hints from heloise" at my grandma's house.

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
Baking soda works better than cornstarch for me. It helps if you don't have really dark hair.

Does anyone know if the products referred to have scents to them? The dry shampoos I've tried were scented which is a real problem as I can't get my nose far enough away from my hair. :Retro wink:

R

Robin

Baking soda works better than cornstarch for me. It helps if you don't have really dark hair.

Does anyone know if the products referred to have scents to them? The dry shampoos I've tried were scented which is a real problem as I can't get my nose far enough away from my hair. :Retro wink:

It DOES have a mild floral like scent, though not as strong as shampoo. (I use BWC which has a very natural lemon/citrus smell.) I found the no rinse at Sally's Beauty Supply for $7. It doesn't work as well as a regular shampoo but a lot better than my cornstarch based dry shampoo. I have really oily scalp so I just did my roots, not my whole head and it was really easy and only took 2 minutes. It's not thick like shampoo, but more liquid-y.

I'll probably use it in between regular shampoos so I don't have to wash my hair as often. That's a good thing!

spindrift

Plays With Voodoo Dollies
'No Rinse' contains progesterone. Found this after clicking on California residents in the product detail section in the Amazon link.

Beauty Products
California requires the following notice on beauty and skin care products that contain progesterone:

WARNING: This product contains progesterone, a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer. Consult with your physician before using this product.

glenp

"and this too shall pass"
I bought a hose for the shower head, and now just get in the tub on my knees and stick my head under the tap , wash quick and rinse it off with the hose - it doesnt seem to take as much energy. I notice that the plastic smell of the hose bothers me so am going to try and get a rubber one, maybe it wont have a scent.