• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Waking up with neck/upper spine pain

Mrparadise

Dear PR

Whenever I slightly push myself, I experience extremely agitated sleep (never get peaceful and restful sleep anyway according to oura data but it gets worse if I go to bed extremely tired) and I wake up with neck and/or upper spine pain and instability. It feels like I need to lay down and stabilize my spine and it takes a long time for this strange feeling to go away..

Would this point towards structural issues or is that something which is related to PEM?

Manx thanks in advance!

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
I have back pain due to weak core muscles and lack of physical activity and muscles seizing up. Also i can't build muscle becasue of ME.
And becasue of covid i can't go to my chiropractor who was successfully controlling this.

But if we beat covid then i will be able to go again though it will take her a while to get things back to where they were but i know from experience that she can (before i was approved for disability i could not afford to go for several painful years).

Mrparadise

Thanks for your answer! I do have to say that I am not affected by it all the time and mostly I have a strange type of headache just over my eyes (getting worse when I have to look around). It is tolerable but to me it's very strange. Maybe I should visit a chiropractor as well.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
Thanks for your answer! I do have to say that I am not affected by it all the time and mostly I have a strange type of headache just over my eyes (getting worse when I have to look around). It is tolerable but to me it's very strange. Maybe I should visit a chiropractor as well.
That head pain for me is reduced by folic acid (methyl folate) for some reason. I have no idea why it works and i stumbled on it by accident but if i take 1mg a day it reduces it to a tolerable level (but not eliminates it).

Finding a good chiropractor is tricky, many seem to be in the business of keeping you coming forever and only partially helping. I wish i had good advice on finding a good one.