• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

waking up at 1 am with continous adrenalin like surges

rlc

hi soxfan sorry it's alot of information all at once, but i think it's things you need to know, hopefully the doctor your seeing again will sort everything out for you, i got a bit more information on things your taking, so just take your time and read it when you can.
Cytomel is alot like levoxl not to be used if you have Thyrotoxicosis or untreated adrenal insuficiency link http://www.drugs.com/cons/cytomel.html can have alot of side effects http://www.drugs.com/sfx/cytomel-side-effects.html has alot of drug interaction http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/liothyronine,cytomel-index.html?filter=2&generic_only= again including calcium http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/calcium-carbonate-with-cytomel-464-0-1473-877.html
information on vitamin d side effects and interactions here http://www.vitamins-nutrition.org/vitamins-guide/vitamin-d-cholecalciferol.html information on fish oil here http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/993.html
So as you can see there's a large chance of interactions with all these meds, if you can get your doctor to look into it and maybe reduce the meds to the barest minimum you need, it might help clear up whats going on, and definatly important to have calcium levels monitored. Sounds like you've been getting alot of bad advice and treatment from previous doctors, but hopefully with the right help it will all get sorted soon! all the best, hope you feel better soon!

So am I "waking up at 1 am with continous adrenalin like surges" even when my body is wired very paiinfull and extreamly tied. I cant sleep. Most frustrating.
Al

So am I "waking up at 1 am with continous adrenalin like surges" even when my body is wired very paiinfull and extreamly tied. I cant sleep. Most frustrating.
Al

I had a similar problem. But I started sleeping through the night when I started taking 600mg extended release N-acetylcysteine right before bed.

The probably works because it allows the body to form glutathione, which uses up some of the excess glutamate that's likely causing the wired sensation.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Al
Does your pulse and blood pressure go high?? Google hyperadrenergic POTS and noradrenaline signalling, i think these have alot to do with us that are tired but wired, our nervous system go's whacky, sedatives can help but i think we need more specific drugs that control noradrenaline like alpha 2 agonists(tizanadine, clonidine??) or beta blockers, but its something to talk over with a doctor before trying this stuff.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Al
Does your pulse and blood pressure go high?? Google hyperadrenergic POTS and noradrenaline signalling, i think these have alot to do with us that are tired but wired, our nervous system go's whacky, sedatives can help but i think we need more specific drugs that control noradrenaline like alpha 2 agonists(tizanadine, clonidine??) or beta blockers, but its something to talk over with a doctor before trying this stuff.

Athene

ihateticks.me
Hi soxfan,

Apologies if this has already been mentioned in the thread. Have you tried any of the herbs that help the adrenal gland to rebalance itself?

The following adaptogenic herbs are recommended as being great for rebalancing the adrenals, in other words, making them work at the right rate but not suppressing them so that they cannot ramp up when you do need an adrenaline rush.

Liquorice root
Ashwaganda root and leaf
Ginger root
Ginko leaf
ginseng (men) and Siberian ginseng (women)

The way to take these is start with a very low dose and build up slowly. You should choose one, not several at once.

Any so-called "relaxing" herbs which contain sedatives should be avoided because they can sometimes have the opposite effect on PWCs. They work by suppressing thyroid, adrenal function, respiratory organs or the heart, or other body systems that may already be working abnormally in our case.

It could be your cortisol levels have dipped too low at night. I had this problem for awhile and it was quite unsettling. For a short while I found it necessary to take some Cortef at night, which I normally wouldn't take after seven pm. I think I went through a period where I was more cortisol deficient than usual, which caused the adrenaline surges. Adrenaline surging throughout your body is kind of an alarm response. The culprit for me is either low cortisol or low levels of free T3.

bertiedog

I have these from time to time and I do have POTS. I get them especially on going to bed when I have a virus or throat infection and my body is weakened. However what works for me is 20 mg Propananol (betablocker). It takes about 45 minutes to an hour to kick in and by then a whole lot of adrenaline will have been produced which is horrible and most likely to keep me awake when I need sleep. Therefore I also take just 1/4 of clonazapan (Rivtotril) and the 2 drugs together work wonderfully and I will manage to fall asleep anytime within an hour or it might take 2 hours if the adrenaline was severe. I can then sleep at least 5 or 6 hours.

I should also add that I have to take low dose Prednisolone for my adrenals that don't work and also thyroid meds and because I take these each morning I can feel fine the next day. I think its highly likely that people who suffer with these adrenaline surges suffer with underfunctioning adrenals which would probably benefit from some treatment and possibly thyroid problems too but I know how difficult it can be to find somebody who will actually treat you.

Pam

This was the first symptom that got me to the dr. and lead to a diagnosis of Hashimotos. Even though I was having lots of symptoms, my labs were "normal" and the dr. would not treat me. This lead me to read Dr Kharrazian's book on the thyroid. I could not afford to go to one of his practitioners (the testing is super expensive) but followed his protocol as best I could on my own. The biggest thing for me was going gluten free, figuring out th1/th2 dominance and avoiding things that stimulate the dominant channel and some supplements (selenium was a big one for me). He also goes into detail about how infections, anemia, and adrenal fatigue all come into play when treating Hashis.

I am now seeing a practitioner that does muscle testing for the protocol instead of blood tests, which is way cheaper. We haven't changed anything except now she is addressing my adrenal issues with some supplements.

I was having lots of these adrenaline surges at night and would wake up with my heart racing thinking I would die. I don't think I have had one in a few months, which has been really nice. Good luck finding a solution.