• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vortioxetine Add-On to Methylphenidate for the Treatment of Symptoms of Sickness Behavior in Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder 2021

pattismith

Reports | Free Full-Text | Vortioxetine Add-On to Methylphenidate for the Treatment of Symptoms of Sickness Behavior in Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder: Report of Two Cases (mdpi.com)

Abstract
Youth with Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) may suffer from comorbid difficulties, such as anxiety–depressive symptoms, social withdrawal, and somatic complaints.

Although stimulants remain the ADHD cornerstone treatment, mental fatigue, school problems and low self-esteem may persist, often being the most unacceptable symptoms for these patients. We present two cases of adolescents (14 and 15 years old) with methylphenidate-treated ADHD, where cognitive fatigability, depressive thoughts, anxiety, irritability, and poor social relationships remained.

Based on clinical observation and the completion of parent and child rating scales, the aforementioned manifestations appeared to progressively reduce by the time of the subsequent control visits planned 1, 3, and 5 months after, following the use of vortioxetine (up to 10 mg/day) as add-on therapy to methylphenidate.

No significant side effects were reported in both cases in a follow-up period of 3 months, also supporting the stability of the observed clinical improvement. ...

lenora

Hello @pattismith ....... I certainly could have used this information about 52 years ago when my first child was having difficulties, in everything and everywhere. At that time, ADHD wasn't known about, and when it was boys only were affected.

After school hours resulted in me teaching her everything again, just like the teacher had. No help from the school whatsoever...and I'm not even talking about tutoring. We changed her to a small, private school and the teachers worked with us. Funny, more was expected of her and she was able to deliver it.

We worked through the problems, went for counseling (to a person who had experience with this problem) and today she's a fine wife, mother and has a great career. No meds.....but I can't say that I'm her favorite person even today. It doesn't mean that she doesn't love me, but with many of these kids the symptoms can remain. L.