• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vitamin D

Lily

*Believe*
I just got my blood spot Vit D3 results back and it was 23 (normal is 32-100 with optimal 50-80). I'm also overweight. Any thoughts on how much Vit D3 would need to be supplemented and how long it takes to turn things around, especially being overweight? I know with iron for example it can take years to see results. I'm not a big fan of needles, so I don't want to take sample regularly if nothing is going to happen for say 6 months?

Where can you find D3 at 50,000 IU? I think the most I've seen is 2000 IU.

Kerrilyn, based on our sensitivity to meds I don't think I'd take the 50,000 IU. I know many physicians prescribe the huge doses of Vitamin D, but my doc was leary of doing that with me and with the D3 specifically. She prescribed 5,000 IU every other day. My level was 7 and it came up to 23 within 6 weeks. I haven't had it rechecked even though I should have at 6 months. I did just recently reduce the dose on my own to 2,000 IU once a week (until I have it checked again) since I have been on it now 6 months Toxic level is supposedly 200.

I purchased 5,000 IU capsules from ProHealth online at Amazon. 90 capsules were $11.95 (I think).

Lily

antherder

I've taken a course of Vit D (D3) as my test results were low;

12 nmol/L (50-150)

I think the Vit D has increased my bile production. I haven't added anything else that could've caused it. Not something I want as I have a stomach ulcer and severe reflux. Has anyone else had this happen? Or can anyone suggest any links that might explain this? Thanks.

leaves

could be.
I also have problems with too much bile. Can also be caused by taurine, glycine, curcumin. coffee, ginger, dandelion, artichoke and some other supplements. If you know of something to REDUCE bile, let me know...
taking calcium supplements or soluble fiber can help bind bile in the gut.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
I take Vit D3 drops. Mine was VERY LOW. Last blood test showed it was better but not good at all. My doctor upped the drops a bit. We will test again in Dec. I get blood tests every six months for a lot of things.