• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vitamin C issues....anyone?

pamojja

so natural copper brings along some of its co factors where as only ascorbic acid does not.
thats their argument. i am just sharing

Fair enough.

And I shared that most of the mammal kingdom produces really Mega-doses of ascorbate endogenously form glucose directly in their bloodstream (in which way could this be a insufficient natural 'function'?). But none of the allegded co-factors, usually present in a normal diet anyway. And the cure for scurvy only needs ascorbate (for all of which there is plenty of science).

Vitamins are called vitamins for being essential for life. Flavonoids from diets can on their own be beneficial, but not essential for surviving. Tyrosinase is endogenous in mammals, therefore not essential to get from diet. Copper is an essential mineral which we have to get from diet too. But not too much, as in my case. I've to avoid copper for many years as much as possible., my serum level are still too high.

they say vitamin C in nature is a functional complex containing multiple things, acorbic acid being just one of them.

No such thing, than the interwoven interaction of all Vitamins, essential minerals, essential amino acids and fatty acids essiential in certain amounts and proportions to get from diet (or supplements). Everything endogenously possible to be synthetisized from food isn't essential for survival, as for example the Vitamins themself. One of them is the molecule of ascorbate, not containing anything else needed for survival.

Last edited:

Wishful

1. synthetic ascorbic acid is said to cause 'real' vitamin c deficiency and cannot even cure scorbut

"Synthetic Vitamin C causes a deficiency (in the profitability of our 'All natural' vitamin C product!) Watch our video for more meaningless/non-applicable info that supports our claims!" :rolleyes:

We generally have enough reserves of those nonessential cofactors that including them in a supplement makes no difference. To me it sounds like they're playing a shell game of sorts: "Look at this scientifically correct (but almost impossible to occur) situation where the patient is deficient in reserves of a cofactor. You need natural VitC (or our expensive product) to prevent this <highly unlikely to occur> situation!"