• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vitamin B's in the Immunesystem and Infections

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
Is Parenteral Thiamin a Super Antibiotic?
Lee and Zhou, 2018 (letter)

beginn of the letter with case reports
Dear Editor,

Thiamin deficiency could cause high fever and injecting thiamin is likely to eradicate microbial infections as observed in cases in a Chinese labor camp. After exhausting arduous labor, a laborer aged 26 became severely ill on February 15, 1959. As a result, he first developed high fever and headache, which was so severe as if being hit by a hammer, and then was followed by asphyxia – he experienced such intense suffocation as if his chest was bandaged tight by a strong wide belt. His body temperature rose to 41°C. When he was in this condition, he was injected with 10 mg thiamin hydrochloride. Asphyxia and headache dramatically reduced. Temperature dropped to 38.5°C after 1 h although it returned to 39.5°C 2 h later. Another dosage of 50 mg of parenteral thiamin normalized his temperature.

A dying laborer with deep coma, high fever, bigeminy, extensive pulmonary precipitants, and rales in National Hunger 1960 was saved by administering 100 mg of intravenous thiamin in 60 mL of 50% glucose plus 50 mg of intramuscular thiamin but zero antibiotics (Fig. 1).
_____​

The role of thiamine in HIV infections
Luong and Nguyen, 2013

summary, my paragraphes
Patients infected with HIV have a high prevalence of thiamine deficiency.

Genetic studies have provided the opportunity to determine which proteins link thiamine to HIV pathology, i.e., renin–angiotensin system, poly(ADP-ribosyl) polymerase 1, Sp1 promoter gene, transcription factor p53, apoptotic factor caspase 3, and glycogen synthetase kinase 3β. Thiamine also affects HIV through non-genomic factors, i.e., matrix metalloproteinase, vascular endothelial growth factor, heme oxygenase 1, the prostaglandins, cyclooxygenase 2, reactive oxygen species, and nitric oxide.

In conclusion, thiamine may benefit HIV patients, but further investigation of the role of thiamine in HIV infection is needed.
_____​

There are also two investigations on B1 deficiency in parasite infection, one from Egypt and one from Thailand.
google.com/search?q=vitamin+b1+infection

godlovesatrier

Fascinating! I did an oral experiment taking 1400mg a day and had full amelioration of all symptoms for about 4 days, I did loads! But as others said this doesn't last and soon subsides.

So these injections are fascinating...I wonder if it might help more to supress various pathogens. Would be interested in giving this a go myself.

sb4

Fascinating! I did an oral experiment taking 1400mg a day and had full amelioration of all symptoms for about 4 days, I did loads! But as others said this doesn't last and soon subsides.

So these injections are fascinating...I wonder if it might help more to supress various pathogens. Would be interested in giving this a go myself.
What happens now when you take a big b1 dose? You feel no different?

godlovesatrier

@sunshine44 hey what does your transdermal solution consist of? Do you make it yourself? And how long have you been taking it and at what frequency?

And have you been able to notice good changes throughout your entire dosing schedule?

Thank you!

sunshine44

Que sera sera
@sunshine44 hey what does your transdermal solution consist of? Do you make it yourself? And how long have you been taking it and at what frequency?

And have you been able to notice good changes throughout your entire dosing schedule?

Thank you!
started in January. Its a liquid 6.0 mg (not much but highest liquid i could find) . I rub it on my thighs. I just got bloodwork and confirmed all of my vitamins are going up through transdermal use (they did not test B1 though).

I noticed my severe heart and left neck/artery pain almost immediately began to stop (i am fully bedridden 4 years) and HRV improved and tachycardia and bradycardia went down. More stabilized moods too. I suspect i have some form of berberi that was never addressed and Drs just have abandoned my case i feel like (bc i'm so severe).

sunshine44

Que sera sera
Would you describe this pain as a feeling of pounding on your heart and arteries?

no, severe pain like muscles and cells were being ripped to shreds when trying to move but upon trying to sit up there would be pounding feelings.

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
I recently took LYS again, and as in my first trial three years ago I got tooth pain and an infetion showed up.

So I thought, I had promoted some strain of bacteria. But after the paper below it seems now, that I stopped any bacteria in biofilms in my yaw, but concomittantly the immune system stopped a bit and the bacteria then grew beter causing a noticable infection.

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acsinfecdis.5b00056
Mohini et Haldar 2015

Lysine-Based Small Molecules That Disrupt Biofilms and Kill both Actively Growing Planktonic and Nondividing Stationary Phase Bacteria

The emergence of bacterial resistance is a major threat to global health. Alongside this issue, formation of bacterial biofilms is another cause of concern because most antibiotics are ineffective against these recalcitrant microbial communities. Ideal future antibacterial therapeutics should possess both antibacterial and anti-biofilm activities. In this study we engineered lysine-based small molecules, which showed not only commendable broad-spectrum antibacterial activity but also potent biofilm-disrupting properties. Synthesis of these lipophilic lysine–norspermidine conjugates was achieved in three simple reaction steps, and the resultant molecules displayed potent antibacterial activity against various Gram-positive (Staphylococcus aureus, Enterococcus faecium) and Gram-negative bacteria (Escherichia coli) including drug-resistant superbugs MRSA (methicillin-resistant S. aureus), VRE (vancomycin-resistant E. faecium), and β-lactam-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae. An optimized compound in the series showed activity against planktonic bacteria in the concentration range of 3–10 μg/mL, and bactericidal activity against stationary phase S. aureus was observed within an hour. The compound also displayed about 120-fold selectivity toward both classes of bacteria (S. aureus and E. coli) over human erythrocytes. This rapidly bactericidal compound primarily acts on bacteria by causing significant membrane depolarization and K+ leakage. Most importantly, the compound disrupted preformed biofilms of S. aureus and did not trigger bacterial resistance. Therefore, this class of compounds has high potential to be developed as future antibacterial drugs for treating infections caused by planktonic bacteria as well as bacterial biofilms.