• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vit D -- good for brain, bad for body

pamojja

i am not sure with the magnesium. i take way too less to make any difference. when i take it its like 100-300mg per week.
Vitamin D gives me weak exhausted muscles a few days later. like next day, plato'ing 2-3 days after, then regulating itself back to normal. somebody has a idea what that can be?
i usually only got crampy muscles from vitamin D. but this seams to be a new side effect since a few month.
I got a very intractable severe Mg deficiency, probably by correcting my 25(OH)D to ~70ng/ml, thereby correcting my below normal serum calcium over the course of two years. Though I took at least ten times as much magnesium as you. 14-12 years ago.

Fast forward, no amount of supplemental elemental magnesium (up to 2.8g, 1.8g in average for 14 years) ceased my very pain-ful muscle cramps, except above 30 Mg-sulfate IVs, upto three years ago. With covid-mania no IVs posssible anymore, the cramps nevertheless remained much more infrequent and much more endurable now.

linusbert

I got a very intractable severe Mg deficiency, probably by correcting my 25(OH)D to ~70ng/ml, thereby correcting my below normal serum calcium over the course of two years. Though I took at least ten times as much magnesium as you. 14-12 years ago.

Fast forward, no amount of supplemental elemental magnesium (up to 2.8g, 1.8g in average for 14 years) ceased my very pain-ful muscle cramps, except above 30 Mg-sulfate IVs, upto three years ago. With covid-mania no IVs posssible anymore, the cramps nevertheless remained much more infrequent and much more endurable now.
did you try subcutaneous mg injections?

i get pretty fast negative effects from magnesium. like high blood pressure and breathing problems like if nerves do not work correctly. i do get these even more from potassium.

YippeeKi YOW !!

Vitamin D gives me weak exhausted muscles a few days later. like next day, plato'ing 2-3 days after, then regulating itself back to normal. somebody has a idea what that can be?
It sounds like low magnesium levels. Vit D absorption and utilization sucks up massive amounts of mag, leaving little if any available for muscle control, bones, CNS uses, etc ....

And like @pamojja, which forms of mag did you try?

linusbert

It sounds like low magnesium levels. Vit D absorption and utilization sucks up massive amounts of mag, leaving little if any available for muscle control, bones, CNS uses, etc ....

And like @pamojja, which forms of mag did you try?
i did try all forms orally.

YippeeKi YOW !!

i did try all forms orally.
Well, damn. Just .... damn. Cause you're probably going to continue to have a bad reaction to Vit D without boosting your mag .... how about mag in combo with calcium and zinc? Do you think that might be ore tolerable? Cause Solgar makes an excellent Calcium, Magnesium, and Zinc product. Would that be worth a try? Lemme know, and I'll post you a link ....

YippeeKi YOW !!

right now i have Mag boosting out my butt -kinda reaction
I think I need a translation .... I kinda think that might mean the dread diarrhea reaction?

That's why I use magnesium glycinate, which is mag bound to glycine, and amino acid, which makes it a large molecule, so it digests in your stomach instead of speeding straight thru to your colon which is what causes the diarrhea effect that most other forms create. But if I'm remembering correctly, which I wouldn't bet money on, you've already tried that with negative response, yes?

pamojja

right now i have Mag boosting out my butt -kinda reaction
With my ~1.8 g/d of elemental magnesium spread throughout per day intake, its kind of normal to have 3 'out of my butt' reactions till I finish my breakfast. But after, during the day, this abades. I simply saw no other way around the neccessary health-benefits of vitamin D, A and K, then to preservere.

That's why I use magnesium glycinate, which is mag bound to glycine, and amino acid, which makes it a large molecule, so it digests in your stomach instead of speeding straight thru to your colon which is what causes the diarrhea effect that most other forms create.

Interestingly, thats the form I use before sleep and my daily morning diarhea. It seems with certain amounts every form of Mg is laxative. However, even then there remains that 20 hours window, where it throddles through the digstive system and does absorb at least partially.

Years ago I heard Mg-malate being the form which for many replenished stores the best. Only available by expensive bulk imports from the states, I never used it regularly. Only with sunday.de making it localy available in bulk, I used it more consistently arount the time my IVs ended. Might be one reason my muscle-cramps became much less frequent.

I used Mg-chloride mixed in DSMO solution on my skin too, to augment it transtermally. The most straightforward solution when available are of course repeated Mg-sulfate IVs.

YippeeKi YOW !!

It seems with certain amounts every form of Mg is laxative.
During the worst of my just over 1 1/2 years of endless panic/anxiety attacks (I really thought I was dying), I took over 2200 - 2500 mgs of mag gly a day. Never had diarrhea .... not even a little .... like I said above, it's bound to a large molecule, an amino acid, which slows its transit thru your system, so it digests in your stomach. By the time anything reaches your colon, it's nothing but by-products.

On the other hand, maybe I was just so mag depleted that my system sucked it all up before it could do any damage. We're not just all different, every aspect of our systems are different. Which may be why there still isnt any real treatment for ME, let alone a one-size-fits-all one ....

pamojja

I took over 2200 - 2500 mgs of mag gly a day.

2.5 g of Mg-glycinate contains only about 333mg of elemental magnesium. Which is very little compared to my avg. 1.8g of elemental magnesium per day. And shouldn't neccesarily cause diahrea. But we are all reacting differently. At least in my case so little in the worst forms wouldn't.

pamojja

You seem to be really on my case today.
Not at all. Maybe a lost-in-translation second-language problem?

Its important to differentiate the amount of elemental Mg, with that of the total compounded in a supplement. So what seems a lot as Mg-glycinate is really little if seen as elemental Mg. At least in my view, which I'm merely pointing out, only circumstantial to you now, but thereby to everybody else too. And you not agreeing with me peacefully on that point wouldn't offend me the least.

All is good. :heart:

On the contrary, I appreciate you pointing out Mg-glycines benefits especially before sleep. Not only is it less laxative, but also calming. At least in my case I couldn't sleep well, if I take Mg-malate for example before sleep.

linusbert

i dont like mg glycine, it delivers much more glycine than magnesium. i cannot say which does the side effects then. i dont like side effect rich stuff.
i have it here btw. i had some reaction besides diarrhea, i didnt like it , but i forget what it was, maybe i try again.
also mg malat is here.

but i dont think its magnesium. because it doesnt make things better if i take it.

pamojja

Relieved :):) :hug: !!!
Sorry for the unintentional disstress by me.

i dont like mg glycine, it delivers much more glycine than magnesium. i cannot say which does the side effects then. i dont like side effect rich stuff.

How different we all view nutrition. I view glycine not a drug, but as a semi-essiental nutrient we wouldn't be able to survive without. Only synthetic drugs the body hasn't learnt to process during evolution can cause serious - also non-reversible - side-effects. In the wrong constellation unwanded effects of course do occure with nutrients too, but in completely different severity.

One study claimed that prescribed medications and wrong hospital interventions would be the thirth highest preventalbe death after CVD and cancer. While its hard to find even single deaths from nutrients. Except, of course, from the SAD diet.

Dietary Requirements

Glycine is sometimes called a semi-essential nutrient because it is made by the body, but not in sufficient quantities to supply various tissues (including bone, muscle, and skin) with what they need. Therefore, we need to get quite a bit of glycine from our diets to stay healthy.

The average person usually can make roughly 3g of glycine, and usually consume 1.5 – 3.0 g from food, making their daily intake from roughly 4.5 – 6g [3].

Some researchers believe that the amount of glycine available in humans might not be enough to meet metabolic needs and that a dietary supplement is appropriate [3].

One study suggests that humans may fall significantly short of the amount needed for all metabolic uses – by about 10 g per day for a 70 kg (154 lbs) human [3].

I do myself the favor and supplement beyond Mg-glycine also regular glycine and tri-methyl-glycine.

but i dont think its magnesium. because it doesnt make things better if i take it.
Its not an optional drug, it is essential for survival. And it still didn't make things better for me, untill additionally as IVs seven years after starting with it. Too many things can be out of whack sabotaging everything.

Last edited:

linusbert

One study claimed that prescribed medications and wrong hospital interventions would be the thirth highest preventalbe death after CVD and cancer. While its hard to find even single deaths from nutrients. Except, of course, from the SAD diet.
true... and yet those doctors come for naturopaths and orthomolecular medicine by forbidding those because they are "dangerous".
what hippocrites!
but who voluntarely eats and promotes a diet called SAD ... what to expect...

ok ok , i will give Mg a controlled isolated trial once more.

How different we all view nutrition. I view glycine not a drug, but as a semi-essiental nutrient we wouldn't be able to survive without. Only synthetic drugs the body hasn't learnt to process during evolution can cause serious - also non-reversible - side-effects. In the wrong constellation unwanded effects of course do occure with nutrients too, but in completely different severity.

actually i agree with this.
its just my body is so fckd up that even small things bring disturbance. and for me one isolated high dose amino acid can bring problems.
everything that has positive effects has also negative effects. nothing with potential is side effect free.

YippeeKi YOW !!

m
I view glycine not a drug, but as a semi-essiental nutrient we wouldn't be able to survive without.
I agree. Its also one of the hardest amino acids to get in any quantity, without going to some effort.
I do myself the favor and supplement beyond Mg-glycine
I do as well. I use simple gelatin, which is a great source of all amino acids, but is a particularly rich source of glycine .... I also use (don't be judging .... stop it !!! I can HEAR you ....) judicious amounts of chicharones, or pork rinds (I was hoping to disguise its identity, but realized that would defeat the purpose), which is HUUUUGE in glycine, lysine, isoleucine, etc .... all the aminos tht are hard to get from regular sources.
Its not an optional drug, it is essential for survival. And it still didn't make things better for me,
And we're back to the sad message of this illness .... we're all so, sooooo different. Mag gly almost literally saved my life, and pulled me back from the brink. It wasn't a fast fix, and it required a certain amount of faith, or, in my case, desperation, along with the addition of Vit C and small amounts of melatonin, both of which work on neurotransmitters in different ways.

Without the mag gly, I firmly believe I would have taken The Permanent Escape, which would have been a pity. Not because my life is such a laugh riot and whirlwind of festivity, but because Ive learned more from this flucking illness than from all my education, all the literally 1,000's of books Ive read, all the adventures I've had. And much of what I've learned, I've learned here, from interacting with all of you.

So without the emergency intervention of mag gly, I would have missed my other life-saver .... this site, which put me back together in a way I could never have managed without it ....

It's why I've posted so often about the hidden (and believe me, you really have to dig for them) gifts that this miserable little meat mallet of an illness brings with it. Until members got really really tired of hearing that.

One study claimed that prescribed medications and wrong hospital interventions would be the thirth highest preventalbe death after CVD and cancer.
Before COVID, I read a study that estimated that more than 200,000 deaths a year were iatrogenic in origin. Read, bad Drs, over-prescription of bad drugs, botched surgeries, you name it. COVID has considerably skewed that equation, much to the relief of Drs and hospitals everywhere ....

YippeeKi YOW !!

ok ok , i will give Mg a controlled isolated trial once more.
Since we seemed to have softened you up sufficiently, let me suggest once again, that you might want to take a well-balanced blend of calcium, magnesum, and zinc. With maybe some potassium on this side. This is what worked for me but we all know that means zip in relation to what it might do for you. But I'd feel remiss if I didnt mentions this ....

Magnesium works closely with calcium, and while at higher levels they can interfere each with the other's absorption, in lower amounts a combo may be more effective for you.

Also, while we're on the subject, how about potassium, also important in the utilization of mag .... I've found additional potassium, sometimes quite a bit of it, to be essential to my functioning on every level, and when added into the mag/calcium, it seems to do remarkably good things ....