• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vit C vit E ratio?

Kadar

Hello. I started taking high dose vitamin C protocol. I could take maximum 1-2g a day for a week and then crash with vomiting, diarrhea and strong tiredness. Then my tolerance for vit C was less and less. I have read that vit C and vit E needs to be taken together as they use each other for work. I took 600 mg 5 times, which helped with symptoms, then took 1g vit C and got side effects of C again. Am I that toxic (heavy metals, mercury particularly) so I lose vitamin E on C protocol so fast or is it vitamin C detox not related to vitamin E deficiency? If thats because I'm very toxic that explains why different people tolerate different doses of vitamin C. By vitamin C detox I mean inflammation (spider veins), heavy breathing (/shortness of breath), heart palpitations which is resolved by zinc but I need huge doses. I ve read vitamin E helps to absorb zinc and it really works. I also have strong eye sensitivity not connected with vitamin A. And all my symptoms on C "detox" seem to be E deficiency symptoms

Last edited:

Kadar

@wabi-sabi thanks, but I actually don't think it's overdose, I still get nausea after more than a week of using just 1-2g per/day for a week. It's relatively low dose comparing to 5-10g in famous protocols

GlassCannonLife

That's interesting, I'm not sure what's causing your issue but I have never heard of a need to consume them at a set ratio.

For example, I take 3-5 g of vitamin C each morning, and I take a mixed tocopherol/tocotrienol vitamin E, which is quite low dose compared to many supplements on the market.

I have also done 50 g IV vitamin c infusions on a regular basis (I did 2 a week for a month when I first started it) and the only side effect I got was a gradual insomnia issue by the end of the month.

What form and dose of vitamin E are you taking? Are you taking anything else?

Kadar

@GlassCannonLife it's known vitamin A, E and C work together. About E & C mentioned on this website, for example: https://acu-cell.com/nico.html

I think once I get rid of heavy metals I won't lose E taking C anymore. (Vit E neutralize oxidative damage from heavy metals and mentioned by Andy Cutler on his heavy metal chelation protocol as necessary option) I take almost all vitamins and minerals, not everyday but when I see deficiency by symptoms. On vitamin C protocol I take E, potassium, sodium, boron, zinc, b vitamins. Vitamin seems to deplete zinc with time and it needs higher dose of E to see an effect until I add zinc.

When on C protocol I usually take 3 capsules of Gamma E supplement by "NOW". Vitamin C side effects stopping in a week or so. By side effects I mean inflammation (bigger veins and heat in extremities)

I don't think you need more E if you don't have heavy metals load. I think your proportion is good, but don't you get weak on that dose of C every day?

GlassCannonLife

I don't think you need more E if you don't have heavy metals load. I think your proportion is good, but don't you get weak on that dose of C every day?

I'm not sure if I have any heavy metal issues actually.. No, I don't even notice that dosage. If I take a lot (20 g throughout the day) or a large amount in the afternoon/before bed, then it disrupts my sleep. Occasional high dose IVC or daily 3-5 g doesn't give me any side effects.