• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

vagal nerve stimulation experiences? (need idiot proof instructions both for myself and for a doc...)

vision blue

Am thinking of asking a doc this week for a script for the portable handheld vagal nerve stimulator (ther's a post on it in another thread) but would like to get some input first.

For one thing, I have no idea what it will cost and wondering if i can do it more cheaply just by getting a cheap Tens unit and applying to neck? Has anyone done this? is there some reason i cannot do this?

I don't even know if i would tolerate it and have no idea if the likely expensive official handheld one would be returnable. I also want ot make sure i can adjust current of anything , like a Tens to the lowest possible since i super react to anything.

then there's this warning on the official device: (that may be a problem, or not tested on) Patients with clinically significant hypertension, hypotension, bradycardia, or tachycardia. Hm. i guess that shoujldn't get in the way of trying - just means don't know how will react.
]
not even sure how to go about it. i looked at what it's approved for and while it works on inflammation, hasn't been approved for that (in non-covid setting), but i can claim migraines (close enuf to what i do get anyway).

so procedural questions: Do they call in the script? to who? any druggist or to the company that makes it? Things like this have gotten so complicated these days. I know one should be able to "disucss with doc" but really at this point i don't discuss anyting with my motley team. If i want soemthig, I do 100 percent of the homework, and then give idiot-proof instuctions and try to covnince them to give me what i want.

The doc i'm seeing soon is a rheumatologist so actually he might not feel "comfortable" using a migraine diagnosis to order the device.

anyone know what it costs? or has done it? Is it even available? eveythiing i want these days seems to be in short supply and i'm unabble to compete- from houses, to computers to dogs to even vaccine on my own terms if i ever stop vascillating.

ive looked at various thread here, but they are all scatterd. one person said all it did was give him/her a huge headache (I think they meant literal) . That wasn't the newer handheld one but an older one from a few years ago.

thanks.

vision blue

No takers yet i guess. In case its not clear, to tie it into CFS more explicitly, many believe that there is an autonomic dysfunction to CFS usually too much sypathetic activation, too little parasympethic. Vagal nerve simulation increases parasympathetic, thereby decreasing sympathetic which has been reported in some to help with assorted symptoms.

Rufous McKinney

Vagal nerve simulation increases parasympathetic, thereby decreasing sympathetic which has been reported in some to help with assorted symptoms.

I'm interested in what you find out....i;m not very up on the vagus nerve issue..

Delayed stomach emptying resumed around here- and I would like to have a chat with Mr. Vagal, and Ms Vaga.

I have some biomagnets here and was simply considering lashing them on to my neck to see if anything happens.

where to lash them is the question...?

vision blue

I was thinking of reading the instructions on vagal nerve stimulator to see where on neck to put it- so csn know where to put a tens unit. Vagal nerve can also be reached on ear but i much prefer neck. Not sure if current woukd be sane as official device but so far one doc inasked turned me down thid week to get the official one so may have to patch my own

Maybe those who have experience in it will still find this message and chime in

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
You might want to read Dr. Michael Van Elzakker’s theories on the vagus nerve and ME/CFS. He is at Harvard. Good luck.

vision blue

Theres no shortage of papers on usefulness of vagal nerve stimulation and role of vagal nerve in many of the issues of ME/CFS

Biut . Im finding it alot harder to find practical DIY info,. Hence this thread. Hoping others know what to build or have already tried.

Hello @ vision blue,
I'm trying out vagal nerve stimulation every day since a week now. I rent the ParaSym device, with an earclip, and at 25Hz and 250microseconds (I believe the latter is the time between the "square oscillations"). I will try this a month. So far, no real change I must say... Kind regards