• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Using manual wheelchair

Emmarose47

Hi all
I've just received a manual wheelchair .
I've not really got anyone to push me out but got it for when I eventually move and someone may need to push me . Ive been housebound for 6 mths and really feel I need to leave the street . I'm thinking of getting a taxi to the green space nearby or the park with paths .
I checked out self wheeling the chair around the garage and if I go v gently it maybe ? Isn't too exerting ?
I'd only go a v short distance whilst out .thinking about it though paths go up and down so it's probably not wise . .
It may be a really stupid idea and my arms are quite weak muscle wise.

Putting the mobilty scooter in and out a taxi seems too hard .
Maybe I'll just get a taxi and hardly walk just sit near the trees ...

Any exp / ideas most welcome

E

Likaloha

Hi all
I've just received a manual wheelchair .
I've not really got anyone to push me out but got it for when I eventually move and someone may need to push me . Ive been housebound for 6 mths and really feel I need to leave the street . I'm thinking of getting a taxi to the green space nearby or the park with paths .
I checked out self wheeling the chair around the garage and if I go v gently it maybe ? Isn't too exerting ?
I'd only go a v short distance whilst out .thinking about it though paths go up and down so it's probably not wise . .
It may be a really stupid idea and my arms are quite weak muscle wise.

Any exp / ideas most welcome

E
I have seen a few taxis that have the ramp on the back that folds up and down. Maybe there is something like that.

lenora

Hello @Emmarose47,

Good to know that you're once again looking for the outside world. Progress, but I understand that it's slow.

How about Uber or, as a you say, a taxi? Have the wheelchair put in the trunk and I'm sure that some very nice person will push you if you ask. Parents with children most definitely would. I also have weak arm muscles, so know what it's like.

The driver may even set you up under a tree near your apartment....if that's what you want. I hope you have many days of enjoying the outdoor. Yours, Lenora.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I was thinking about getting a light manual wheelchair and getting one of these like in this VIDEO (music is loud so turn down sound first) but I was wondering how I would attach it like that as I'm not very mechanical.

However, then I was thinking I wonder if it really would need to be attached or would I be able to maneuver it and keep it in place all at the same time with just my legs. ??? IDK

Then I realized I still have my Mom's walker with the seat and thought I could try it while sitting on that. I haven't bought one yet. I'm still looking at what I think are the original hoverboards and not the cheaper knockoff brands but I'm not completely sure what's what.

Anyway, just some thoughts I've been having about staying mobile. Hope you can figure something out.

Edit: Plus, if I get one, I want to get it from some place with easy returns in case it doesn't work out like I'm thinking.

andyguitar

Another way of getting out @Emmarose47 would be to hire someone from a local care agency to take to out. Cost would be about £15-£20 an hour and they could take you somewhere nice and push you in the wheelchair.

Emmarose47

Another way of getting out @Emmarose47 would be to hire someone from a local care agency to take to out. Cost would be about £15-£20 an hour and they could take you somewhere nice and push you in the wheelchair.
Thanks Andy this is a good idea and one I've briefly thought of ..
Thing is social interaction is such a trigger for my symptoms and I'm too social ( and polite ) to say can we go out in silence . But hey maybe I could and say I need conversation to be really limited ..

E