• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Use whole body vibration exercise for weight loss, bone density and muscle building

*GG*

by Alex Malinsky aka RawGuru, citizen journalist
See all articles by this author
Email this author

(NaturalNews) Whole Body Vibration is believed to be the exercise staple of the future and may become as common as today's treadmill. Here is some background, as well as facts, features and benefits of whole body vibration machines and why you might want to use one today along with your cardio routine for lasting benefits tomorrow and beyond.

Whole body vibration has become a respected form of therapeutic exercise in the last forty years as a result of the research done by Dr. Biermann on the use of cyclic oscillations on the human back in former East Germany . His therapies used a process called the Rhythmic Neuromuscular Stimulation or RNS. Around that same time a Russian scientist named Vladimir Nazarov used these same trials on athletes that resulted in better strength and flexibility in their muscles. The Russians also used vibrations on cosmonauts in their space program to counter the negative effects of zero gravity such as loss of bone density and muscle mass. And, in ancient Greece the metal end of a saw swabbed in cotton was held by a patient, while the handle end was held and shook by someone else, thereby sending vibrations up and throughout the affected arm of the patient. Saws, cosmonauts, and athletes -- a colorful history if ever there was one.

Whole body vibration is now a therapy and exercise method used by many well-known institutions such as NASA, Stanford University , and professional sports teams. Basically, the idea is to put the muscles in a situation where they must expand and contract continually, which pumps extra oxygen into the cells. This is a process of oxidization that is much like breathing, so to speak, only in this case it is on the cellular level. Oxidization simultaneously relaxes and stimulates the body, which helps it to heal itself and grow muscles at a faster rate.

A person stands on the platform of the machine from 2 to 10 minutes and lets the muscles' interaction with the machines' vibrations do the work. It is possible to do more elaborate exercises on the machine but benefits can be achieved even in their absence. Because of the low impact form of the vibrations the machine can be used daily. In addition, since it takes so little time out of the day you are more likely to stick with a regular routine. Some Whole body vibration machines' platforms vibrate up and down using a piston-like motion and others rock from side to side like a teeter-totter. Most are built with handles to hold on while you vibrate.

It seems so simple but the results are phenomenal.

Whole body vibration has been used to build bone density, lose weight, pack on muscle, relieve back pain and alleviate stress and arthritis. It has also been used to help those with respiratory symptoms and diseases like emphysema and asthma maintain a regular physical routine. The results are progressive and long lasting. But you do not have to have an ailment to benefit from a whole body vibration machine. Healthy users' exercise routines are only enhanced because it improves circulation, Human Growth Hormone, metabolism, tightness of the skin, blood pressure, flexibility, bone density and overall cardiovascular health and well-being.

If at some point in your life you are ever concerned with at least one of the above aspects of health, you might want to give whole body vibration exercise a try. This awareness of this technology is growing and is obviously here to stay. By addressing prevention and healing of your body in a pain free, low-stress, and safe exercise format that anyone can participate in, you will be at the cutting edge of physical and mental improvement today and always.

Sources

http://www.thenoblerexk1.com/nobler...

http://www.venturacenter.com/whole_...

http://www.heartworksmassage.net/Us...

http://www.wholebodyvibrationsystem...

About the author
Alex Malinsky aka RawGuru is an award winning chef and one of the leading experts in the field of raw food. He started to learn about raw foods at the early at of 15. After 10 years on the raw food diet he continues to be on the cutting edge of nutritional research and product development. Visit Alex's website at: www.RawGuru.com for more information.

http://www.naturalnews.com/031067_whole_body_vibration_exercise.html

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I can only suspect that this would do an extremely efficient job of reducing lactic acid, removing what lactic acid is produced along with it many more toxins and oxidation.

*GG*

I can only suspect that this would do an extremely efficient job of reducing lactic acid, removing what lactic acid is produced along with it many more toxins and oxidation.

That would be good, I did some research on this, and it might not be as crazy as it sounds?!

Calathea

I looked into Chi Machines a while ago, which are basically what we're talking about here, and came to the conclusion that they're a scam. I make it a general practice to google any new therapy with "scam", "fraud" or "risk" to check it out before I try it.

readyforlife

Years ago I was at a friends house who had a massage chair. I layed down on it and it was on vibration mode, after a few minutes I felt like I was having a Herx type reaction. I stopped the chair and sat there wondering what the heck that was all about. My theroy is that it vibrated loose viruses hiding in the lining of my vains. I've always wonder what would happen if someone took anti-virals and sat in a vibrating chair.

Here is the cure we have been waiting for vibrate the viruses loose from our vains and hit them with anti-virals. ;) Oh to dream.

caledonia

I saw some research similar to this several years ago in Science News. However, the vibrating platform had vibrations so small that you couldn't really feel them. It was supposed to be a therapy for those with osteoporosis, to help build bone density - I think at least in the legs or lower half of the body.

I did a cursory review of research on Google scholar and it seems that a variety if benefits have been obvserved including increased circulation, weight loss and increase in muscle mass. For those of use who are confined to bed, it seems reasonable that this could provide some benefits.

I'm always suspicious of any product that claims to be able to address so many different issues. But it does appear there is some real science behind at least some of the claims, and I'm interested in this because I do have osteopenia and am mostly sedentary due to CFS.

I've been trying one for the last week (found it used, very cheap) and I have noticed that it makes me feel more alert and slightly less tired. Another friend with CFS didn't like it because it gave her vertigo. Has anyone else had any experience with one?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I've been trying one for the last week (found it used, very cheap) and I have noticed that it makes me feel more alert and slightly less tired. Another friend with CFS didn't like it because it gave her vertigo. Has anyone else had any experience with one?

My apartment complex's gym just got one. I like it. Seems to stimulate lymph drainage too.

Sushi

ukxmrv

This was not good for me. PEM just like after "real" exercise. The problems started with just trying to stand up on the machine. Anything that requires standing up triggers blood pressure problems for me - then there was an additonal problem with balance and weakness as I struggled to remain upright with the vibrations whist holding on.

Some of the worst exercise reactions I have had to standing up and using arms (like thai chi etc). Even holding on with my arms not at my sides is a big problem for me.

(it reminded me a little of the "passive" toning tables fiasco I once tried where on lies down and the machine moves limbs).

I react badly to massage as well - so this is going to be very individual to each person.

Thanks for the comments, Sushi and ukxmrv. I think I may have overdone it myself - I started with 5 minutes a day and felt pretty good, so I went up to 10 probably sooner than I should have. I'm definitely more tired than usual after 3 days of that. But I also feel more alert and clear headed at the same time, so I'm going to take a couple of days off and then try again.

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire
Has anyone got any updates on this? Snowcat??

I am thinking of buying a whole body vibration exercise unit but am worried about PEM. I bought a rebounder a couple of years ago, and had to sell it as it gave me PEM.

Many thanks!

I am still using it, and my use has correlated with a distinct improvement in overall energy and endurance. I can't say for sure these improvements are due to the machine, but I haven't made any other changes in my treatment program during the same time and am now doing better than I have been anytime since my last major relapse a few years ago.

Based on my early experience and the comments above, I think PEM is a real risk. But after backing down to 5 minutes and working very slowly up to ten, I'm now able to tolerate 10 minutes of use every other day without issue. I'm just standing on it in different positions at this point, though I would like to work in some resistance exercises soon.

I should probably add that my CFS is relatively mild. I don't have problems standing and have been able to sustain exercise programs previously during my good periods. My friend who got vertigo on the machine has neurological damage from a West Nile infection, so I'd be cautious if neurological problems were an issue.

I would never have bought one if we hadn't found it used so cheap, but I'm glad I have it now. I'm not sure how it is in the UK, but you can usually try them out at mall sales kiosks or sometimes a gym will have one if you want to test it before buying.

Hope that helps!

liquid sky

Just riding in a car can make me sicker because of the vibrations. I have a lot of neuro problems, so probably not for me. Just increasing the amount of time you stand can affect bone density as it is weight bearing exercise that helps build bone. Glad it is helping some here.

Sea

I remember reading somewhere that although the science behind whole body vibration is sound most of the cheap machines don't actually oscillate at the useful frequencies that NASA uses. So consumer beware and do some research before spending.

I've heard that as well but I don't know if it's true or if that's just an idea promoted by those who sell the most expensive machines.