• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Upper limit for methyl folate dose for Freddds protocol...?

Hello everyone!

So about a month and a half ago I decided to tackle the looming mthfr problem I’ve been ignoring for years. I foolishly started on a very low dose (80mcg) thinking low and slow was best. Had a great week (it was mania) followed by a horrific crash. Headaches, can’t sleep, bowl problems—I had the works. Over the next two weeks I tried desperately to figure out what was going on.

Then I came across Freddds protocol. I immediately took ten mg of methylfolate and my symptoms disappeared. It’s been a bumpy road as I figure out the right amount of potassium and b12 (got I never knew how awful potassium deficiency can feel).

But here’s the thing that has worried me... I keep titration tip on the methyl folate when the deficiency symptoms return.... and I’m up to 100mg a day. Does anyone know the upper limit for what I might end up at? I find it impossible to take 50mg of mb12 too so I just take as much as I can. I have comt and mao-a mutations so mb12 can lead to paranoia and intense amounts of adrenaline. This leads to me feeling like I’m awake but cannot move because I’m so exhausted from days of norepinephrine release. I am pushing through that though because I already went through one stint with b12 deficiency at the beginning of this journey and it was hell.

Unfortunately, I was already deep into the second part of the protocol and didn’t spend the week loading up on cofactors. I find it difficult to add in other b’s/minerals without getting symptoms.

In many ways, this protocol is helping me. I’m determined to see where it goes because, even with the side effects and crashes and bumps, I feel so much less physical pain and exhaustion. I don’t know what I would have done if I didn’t come across Freddds journey and advice.

@Freddd do you have any suggestions?

Best,
Oms

junkcrap50

You must be spending tons of money on methylfolate if you're taking 100mg of it daily. I had similar problems in that I could not take enough methylfolate.

You might find my post here helpful: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/ind...iciency-or-just-screwed-up.43918/#post-715165

In the end, I found the Fredd protocol not helpful, and actually caused a permanent setback for me. Taking such high doses of mb12 and mfolate were not good ideas. You are pushing the methylation too hard and running the cycle too fast by doing that. I now have terrible lactic acid / muscle burning pain in everything I do: climbing stairs, combing my hair, brushing my teeth, etc. My physical PEM is also worse, whereas before I could do some moderate exercise.

If I were you, I would try to do whatever it takes to get off the Fredd Protocol.

Oh man... I’ll definetely look at your post then :x

I am spending tons. But to be honest it’s less than what I’ve spent on doctors (I had an out of pocket mri this year...).

The main reason I’ve continued to go up so high is because for some reason this has cured another disease I have—peyronies. I’m pain free in that regard for the first time in a year and a half. It’s actually one of the symptoms I used to tell if I needed more folate. I even believe that it was caused by changes in methylation.

Here is a link to my full story in regards to it. It includes the insanity that was starting methylfolate before discovering freddds protocol:

http://www.peyroniesforum.net/index.php/topic,10324.0.html

If you don’t mind me asking—What did you end up doing to address your methylation issues?

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
This doctor talks about how you have to get SIBO under control first before starting methylation. He said the bad bacteria in our guts already make Folate so when you methylate with b12 AND folate you are getting too much of the latter and it causes things like anxiety, insomnia, OCD, etc.

(Titled: Gut Origin of Methylation Problems Part 1) In case the link doesn't work.

Anyway, I found it interesting.

Edit: I forgot to add that he said when we methylate before getting the SIBO under control, we feed the SIBO--that they need methylation too--so it is like fertilizing them.

Last edited:
Thank you both for your replies :) the information was helpful.

I’ve reduced my methylfolate dose down to 30mg. I’m still playing around with levels right now. Yes @junkcrap50 i think I was pushing it too hard... for some reason when I take an enormous dose of mfolate I feel REALLY good for a few days. Almost cured (mood, physical lethargy, exercise endurance) but then I revert back. I have to say that I think I was chasing that quick fix. Unfortunately, I think it has left me with very very mild paraethesia in my feet. It’s not a problem or bother though right now. It could have gotten much worse I think.

Unfortunately too on the lower dose of methylfolate I am a little more exhausted and my sleep is worse. But the bright side is I no longer want to murder everyone around me. I am better equipped to socialize now without the minor rage all the time.

This stuff is quite the puzzle!