• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Uk Nursing Times - APPG report into M.E.

Mithriel

The comment is very good.

I am not too sure about the APPG report though, it seems to have ignored a lot of the evidence and is too accepting of the clinics. But in a strange way we might win this one because all people will take from it is "not enough medical provision" whereas we don't even want what is being provided.

Mithriel

Min

I think nurses need to be educated, not only because so many of them develop M.E. but because they are so 'hands on' and can be so cruel if they believe we are just malingering scum instead of patients with a serious neurological illness in tremendous pain.

I've had some horrible experiences with them at times when I've been very vulnerable e.g. just after an operation & during procedures, and am now terrified of them (although some are very nice) .

Mithriel

Yes, they can be very cruel if they choose. DD is a nurse and she knows there are different types.

My friend had radiotherapy then developed bad diarrhoea and vomiting. She was taken into the cancer ward and told she would be on a drip till the Monday. However a junior doctor came on on Friday and said she could go home the next day.

She insisted she wasn't well yet but the nurse was very offhand and unsympathetic and refused to get a doctor or to set up another drip. She obviously thought it was a tummy bug that my friend was making too much fuss about. Of course she actually had bad radiation enteritis which can be fatal. The lining of her intestines was destroyed and she was badly dehydrated.

When her consultant came back and discovered what had happened she was furious. It was a case that the nurse, having decided that this patient was making a fuss about nothing, ignored the evidence in front of her.

In ME, it happens all the time. I am sorry you had these experiences Min.

Mithriel