• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

UK blood safety/XMRV on Ellee Seymour's political blog

pollycbr125

UK blood safety/XMRV on Ellee Seymour's political blog
On 8th October, the NHS Blood and Transplant (NHSBT) issued a press release stating that people with a history of myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) will be deferred indefinitely from donating blood in the UK.

Much like the curates egg, this news is good in parts. Recognition of the need to protect the blood supply from viral pathogens that potentially cause ME is a definite triumph of common sense over denial. The statement that this is not the main aim of the ban is less so.

[continues]

http://elleeseymour.com/2010/10/19/blood-donors-and-me-update/

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Thanks, Polly, that's a good blog post and I left an appreciative comment (I think we should always do this when we get positive coverage, to encourage more).

Here's Ellee's blurb:

"Welcome to my blog which has been featured in The Guardian, on BBC News 24, Andrew Marr's Sunday morning show and Woman's Hour. It is also being archived by The British Library."

It sounds as though it's well worth having ME/XMRV featured on her blog. Let's give her lots of comments!

fred

The game is afoot
Thanks to Polly for finding this. Good to see at least one UK journalist is interested in the story.