• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

uBiome results

alicec

Is there any difference between American Gut Project and uBiome?

They use the same type of DNA sequencing, are crowd funded and make results available directly to you.

They use different ways of preserving sample which means that American Gut requires return of sample within 72 h - uBiome doesn't have this requirement (sample is stable for several weeks).

If you live in the USA this doesn't matter much but for those outside the USA, this can make a big difference in shipping cost.

There are some differences in DNA extraction techniques which can lead to some discrepancies when comparing results between the two.

Finally there seems to be a vast difference in turn around time - about 5 months for American Gut, about 4 weeks for uBiome.

Horizon

They use the same type of DNA sequencing, are crowd funded and make results available directly to you.

They use different ways of preserving sample which means that American Gut requires return of sample within 72 h - uBiome doesn't have this requirement (sample is stable for several weeks).

If you live in the USA this doesn't matter much but for those outside the USA, this can make a big difference in shipping cost.

There are some differences in DNA extraction techniques which can lead to some discrepancies when comparing results between the two.

Finally there seems to be a vast difference in turn around time - about 5 months for American Gut, about 4 weeks for uBiome.

Thanks. Sounds like uBiome is the more efficient use of time then.

Biarritz13

Hi everyone,

I received my redlabs (MSA) result who uses the same technology that Ubiome uses.

MSA Breakdown - June 2016:
Firmicutes 75,57 %
Bacteroidetes 12,76 %
Actinobacteria 1,37 %
Proteobacteria 0,02 %
Other 10,28 %

Ubiome Breakdown - February 2016
Firmicutes : 74.39%
Bacteroidetes : 23.68%
Verrucomicrobia : 1.22%
Actinobacteria : 0.37%
Proteobacteria : 0.24%
Euryarchaeota : 0.24%
Lentisphaerae : 0.01%

More Actino, less Proteo, a big change in Bacteroidetes, maybe due to the different breakdown used between Ubiome and Redlabs and included in Other.

Currently I am undergoing HBOT, I was wondering if you guys thought that it could be an issue for the microbiome.

TY.

Attachments

• MSA 1.jpg
    MSA 1.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 12
  • MSA 2.jpg
    MSA 2.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 12

alicec

a big change in Bacteroidetes, maybe due to the different breakdown used between Ubiome and Redlabs and included in Other.

I couldn't read the Redlabs report properly but it seems to me that Other means Phyla other than the four listed (ie Firmicutes, Bacteroidetes, Actinobacteria, Proteobacteria). This would include things like Verrucomicrobia, Euryarchaeota, Lentispherae which uBiome listed - it wouldn't affect Bacteroidetes.

10.28% is high for these minor phyla - do they give any other info on what is included in this - or could you ask them?

They must have some idea of what is included to be able to put a figure on it.

Others have reported a big overgrowth of Akkermansia (Verrucomicrobia) - that might account for it.

No idea whether HBOT would affect the microbiome but it certainly seems possible to me.

Have you benefitted from the therapy?

alicec

there seems to be a vast difference in turn around time - about 5 months for American Gut

I should correct this based on a recent report. The 5 months was for a sample sent to the British Gut Project. It took more than 6 weeks for the sample to arrive in USA (presumably BGP collects a certain number of samples before sending on).

Turn around time at American Gut Project lab is about 3 months.

So uBiome seems like an all round better service to me.

jepps

So uBiome seems like an all round better service to me.

The last Ubiome result took 2 1/2 weeks for processing. And I like, that they list the species as well as the families.

Regarding Verrucomicrobia: my last test showed 4,7 % Akkermansia, in my Ubiome test Akkermansia increases as well as Proteo increase. Maybe because Akkermansia reduces LPS?

One noticeable change after the sixt test is, that Bifido longum is detectable, Actinos are 0,82 % (the other tests the Actonis range from 0,02 to 0,4%). Bifido longum is important for infections, and the most important member in the breast milk. But it should increase to 3%, so 0,01% is very low, but at least it is here.

@Theodore I also would be skeptic, if HBOT does harm to the microbiome. Maybe you could do a test before and afterwards?

Biarritz13

I couldn't read the Redlabs report properly but it seems to me that Other means Phyla other than the four listed (ie Firmicutes, Bacteroidetes, Actinobacteria, Proteobacteria). This would include things like Verrucomicrobia, Euryarchaeota, Lentispherae which uBiome listed - it wouldn't affect Bacteroidetes.

10.28% is high for these minor phyla - do they give any other info on what is included in this - or could you ask them?

They must have some idea of what is included to be able to put a figure on it.

Others have reported a big overgrowth of Akkermansia (Verrucomicrobia) - that might account for it.

No idea whether HBOT would affect the microbiome but it certainly seems possible to me.

Have you benefitted from the therapy?

@Theodore I also would be skeptic, if HBOT does harm to the microbiome. Maybe you could do a test before and afterwards?

I have changed the files attached, the MSA 2 shows all the "Other".

If when we breath oxygen, a small part enters the parts when the microbiome lives, I imagine that HBOT will affect it, otherwise no.

The MSA has been done a little less than 2 months before HBOT, I'll do another one right after or maybe in between. Regarding the therapy, I've just started it so it's too soon to tell.

Anyway, I truly don't have (enough) Bifido and Lactobacillus...I think I am gonna try to add these but unfortunately not a lot of probiotics include genus that are backed by studies...

Last edited:

Biarritz13

I have merged both tests.

My diet has really improved since the Ubiome. At that time I was still eating a PHD diet but a little bit before the MSA, I've started to eat only organic, less meat and even more vegetables.

According to you guys, do you think this improvement in diet is transposable to the variations?

TY.

Attachments

• MSA-Ubiome T.jpg
    MSA-Ubiome T.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 13

alicec

the MSA 2 shows all the "Other".

I was wrong in thinking that Other referred to other phyla. It is a rather bizarre category, including members of previously listed phyla along with a few unclassified (ie genuine Other). Hard to fathom why, for example, members of the Firmicutes are listed here and not in the category Firmicutes.

Anyhow I see that the predominant members of Other are two Clostridia families - ie Firmicutes.

I truly don't have (enough) Bifido and Lactobacillus

I wouldn't worry too much about the Lactobacillus - our ideas of its importance have been greatly distorted by the probiotic industry and culture-based stool tests.

Lactobacillus is much more important in the mouth, vagina and probably small intestine. Very few strains actually colonise the colon, most are just passing through.

Bifido is an important coloniser of the colon, although of course there is always the Hazda who apparently get by without it.

I've been trying to increase Bifido for years with not much success. Sometimes it increases only to plummet again later, for no reason that I can determine.

I presume I am missing some other species that is important for survival of bifido. Still I keep supplying food Bifido likes and swallowing Bifido-rich probiotics and hoping.

do you think this improvement in diet is transposable to the variations?

Impossible to say. I've seen gut changes apparently in response to dietary changes but, with time, despite maintaining the dietary change, the gut has tended to revert to the previous pattern.

Biarritz13

I was wrong in thinking that Other referred to other phyla. It is a rather bizarre category, including members of previously listed phyla along with a few unclassified (ie genuine Other). Hard to fathom why, for example, members of the Firmicutes are listed here and not in the category Firmicutes.

Anyhow I see that the predominant members of Other are two Clostridia families - ie Firmicutes.

I've been trying to increase Bifido for years with not much success. Sometimes it increases only to plummet again later, for no reason that I can determine.

Impossible to say. I've seen gut changes apparently in response to dietary changes but, with time, despite maintaining the dietary change, the gut has tended to revert to the previous pattern.

I know someone here who increased his bifido from less than 1% to 30% with Custom Probiotics.

On the Ubiome I have 9 families that count for more than 1% and 13 on the MSA, isn't it this more diversity?

jepps

I wouldn't worry too much about the Lactobacillus - our ideas of its importance have been greatly distorted by the probiotic industry and culture-based stool tests.

Lactobacillus is much more important in the mouth, vagina and probably small intestine. Very few strains actually colonise the colon, most are just passing through.

Bifido is an important coloniser of the colon, although of course there is always the Hazda who apparently get by without it.

I´m not sure, if you are right. Hazas have no bifidos, but have other members of the microbiome, that undertake the function of the bifidos, that we possibly are missing.

It takes years to develope a microbiome, that fulfills the function of missing microbes, maybe to long for us. In my thought it is better to replace them with probiotics, that contain bifidos and lactos. Although they do not establish in the gut, they do their function, when given with probiotics. And maybe with time, a few members settle down.

alicec

I´m not sure, if you are right. Hazas have no bifidos, but have other members of the microbiome, that undertake the function of the bifidos, that we possibly are missing.

I agree absolutely. I was just making a passing remark but obviously didn't explain myself properly.

Biarritz13

From handbook of Prebiotics and Probiotics ingredients:

"Not only is scFOS selectively used by health-promoting bacteria, such as bifidobacteria and lactobacilli, but it is also important to note that it is not utilized by selected harmful bacteria, thereby providing a second mechanism by which scFOS can contribute to a healthy colonic microbial balance. For example, in Table 2.2, scFOS was not utilized by Escherichia coli or Clostridium difficile (Hidaka et al., 1986). Rousseau et al. (2005) demonstrated in a 48-hour in vitro incubation study that Candida albicans did not utilize scFOS…."

Biarritz13

I received a new Ubiome test, done after 30 sessions of HBOT (50 in total) while in break for 1 week, I thought the change would be more drastic.

Good surprise, from a wellness being of 86% I went to 96% and for a quantile of 7th I am now in the 74th...

Ubiome Breakdown - August 2016
Firmicutes : 73.44%
Bacteroidetes : 20.21%
Proteobacteria : 5.15%
Actinobacteria : 0.70%
Verrucomicrobia : 0.27%
Lentisphaerae : 0.22%
Euryarchaeota : 0.06%
Fibrobacteres : 0.01%

Just a reminder of my last results:

MSA Breakdown - June 2016:
Firmicutes 75,57 %
Bacteroidetes 12,76 %
Actinobacteria 1,37 %
Proteobacteria 0,02 %
Other 10,28 %

Ubiome Breakdown - February 2016
Firmicutes : 74.39%
Bacteroidetes : 23.68%
Verrucomicrobia : 1.22%
Actinobacteria : 0.37%
Proteobacteria : 0.24%
Euryarchaeota : 0.24%
Lentisphaerae : 0.01%

Thinktank

I got that promotional email from ubiome, i'm going to order the 3-sample kit, with 50% discount that should be only $99 :)
I'm going to change my diet, focusing on healing the leaky gut, lowering bacteroides and increasing firmicutes.