• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Trying Epsom Salt Baths for Lactic Acid Buildup

belize44

I recently purchased a Tank kind of thingy; it has a bung hole that can be unplugged for draining. The reason for this purchase is that our bathtub doesn't have the capacity to fill up satisfactorily, and I long to submerge my entire body in water with Epsom salts. I wanted the water to reach as high as my neck. The only way to do this is to fill this galvanized metal tank in the basement. We have a drain right in the floor so I can drain it there.

belize44

Success! I had to put a couple folded towels in the bottom, but I filled it with the hose attachment in the shower stall. I soaked for about twenty minutes and when I climbed out, I noticed a vast reduction in pain.

I see there was no interest in my post, but I will post this update anyway. :):)

BrightCandle

I found Epsom salts quite relaxing and received some of my early condition muscle cramps. Nowadays I find it suffiecent to take in oral magnesium but to begin with that wasn't sufficient. I did maybe 20 or 30 and then I stopped benefitting.

belize44

I found Epsom salts quite relaxing and received some of my early condition muscle cramps. Nowadays I find it suffiecent to take in oral magnesium but to begin with that wasn't sufficient. I did maybe 20 or 30 and then I stopped benefitting.
A chiropractor that I used to see recommended the Epsom salt baths. Glad he did! Sorry that the benefit stopped after that dose was reached, BrightCandle. That seems to happen a lot; something will work fine at first, then just quit working. :grumpy:

GreenEdge

I love the feeling of weightlessness when submerged in water. I used to go to my brothers house regularly to go for a swim in his pool. I always felt good afterwards. I can't do it anymore because he moved and he now lives further away.

But that gives me an idea. I think I can find someone close to me that will let me use their swimming pool. I will ask the local mens shed to help me find someone. :hug:

belize44

I love the feeling of weightlessness when submerged in water. I used to go to my brothers house regularly to go for a swim in his pool. I always felt good afterwards. I can't do it anymore because he moved and he now lives further away.
I agree about the weightlessness. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to get out of that tub; I had been afraid that I would struggle with that part. I just bobbed right up!

Mary

Moderator Resource
I see there was no interest in my post, but I will post this update anyway. :):)
That's funny! :lol: I don't have the pain that so many of you have, but I do have sleep problems in spades and epsom salt baths have helped, at times, with sleep - I think when my insomnia has been related to a calcium/ magnesium imbalance . . . also, fwiw, magnesium "oil" which is basically magnesium in a brine solution is amazing for when my lower back goes out. I used to end up on the floor for up to 10 days with my back (and ice packs and ibuprofen, etc.) and now it takes 3 or 4 days - anyways, great stuff!

So you think epsom salts help with lactic acid build-up? When my back goes out, it's not lactic acid but the magnesium oil still helps a lot. I do think PEM, in my case at least, is related to lactic acid buildup - when the achiness subsides, I can tell that the crash is starting to lift, which makes me wonder if an epsom salt bath would help it lift more quickly?

belize44

It's worth a try, Mary! I couldn't understand why I got these knots in my legs and shoulders, and when the Chiropractor said that it was lactic acid buildup, he would try to work those knots out. That was when he suggested the salt bath. I have had massage therapists tell me that I have a large number of knots in my muscles; something to do with how oxygen doesn't reach them efficiently.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@belize44 - how interesting that your chiro suggested the epsom salt bath for lactic acid buildup - I've never heard of a connection between lactic acid and magnesium, but who knows? This whole illness is a puzzlement! I think it's definitely worth exploring! It would be interesting to see if your energy increases or you have any other benefits with the epsom salt baths - And I'll have to try an epsom salt bath the next time I crash :nerd:

(I think it might be good if you changed the title of your thread to something like "trying epsom salt baths for lactic acid buildup" - one of the mods can help you with this if you want to do it - you could PM one of them or just report your own post with your request)

belize44

@belize44 - how interesting that your chiro suggested the epsom salt bath for lactic acid buildup - I've never heard of a connection between lactic acid and magnesium, but who knows? This whole illness is a puzzlement! I think it's definitely worth exploring! It would be interesting to see if your energy increases or you have any other benefits with the epsom salt baths - And I'll have to try an epsom salt bath the next time I crash :nerd:

(I think it might be good if you changed the title of your thread to something like "trying epsom salt baths for lactic acid buildup" - one of the mods can help you with this if you want to do it - you could PM one of them or just report your own post with your request)
Thanks, I will.

Rufous McKinney

and I long to submerge my entire body in water with Epsom salts.

I swear by Hot Baths and Epsom salts and soaking whenever I can.

I may have made myself further sick during recent acute severe gastroperesis flu, I got in the tub every four hours for about three days and I think I moved far too much metal. (detox effects). Its the only place I can get the horrific nausea and horrific pain to STOP.

Back to normal baseline, I do one about every three days, and save water in my kitchen the rest of the time to relieve drought guilt. (it rarely rains here).

The shower is rather terrifying...

belize44

I have never liked showers; that initial spray of water seems painful. I dislike baths even more, because it is hard to just sit still doing nothing. I do like being clean, lol.

Rufous McKinney

I dislike baths even more, because it is hard to just sit still doing nothing.

gosh, I'm in a semi-unconscious coma every few days. I just veg in the bath NO problem. The other day I was holding a cup of coffee, leaning against the wall and almost fell asleep standing in the hallway....

that initial spray of water seems painful.

Somebody replaced lousy shower head here with one which is too Needle Like. Painful. I turn it WAY down and it sort of trickles but still I hate it.

Rufous McKinney

I dislike baths even more, because it is hard to just sit still doing nothing.

so "parts" of my body are more ill than others. And those parts do not like heat or baths. (when I got elbow bursitis, that got alot worse, my elbows and heels do not LIKE the bath, EMF or laptops or phones). So other parts are OK but its a mixed bag and so WEIRD.

belize44

It's a lot of work to fill the tank and add Epsom salts, and some soft towels to sit on, but after a twenty minute soak I feel like new.