• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Trudie Chalder to speak at Norwegian Research Seminar

Invisible Woman

Perhaps we could somehow put together an sceptics PACE fact pack for the attendees. Putting in copies of things like:

the open letter to the lancet with several dozen signatures
copies of David Tuller's work
copies of James Coyne's work
Dr Goldin's stats critique
an intro to the work on Rituximab

At least then the attendees would get to see the other side - assuming they read it. Obviously cost is an issue as is manpower.

Could we do this and what would be the best way to go about it?

That was indeed the prime minister, and I do believe her to have been sincere. The problem is however, that when the government give money to ME, it falls in the wrong hands. Because the hands that recieve, and that is supposed to give it to good research - do not have the sufficent knowledge about ME/CFS, and end up giving it to the psychies..

Didn't a minister also give money directly to fluge and mella ? Seems odd that even in a country which is leading biomedical research that it's still possible to end up with trudie chadler giving a talk on ME.

Perhaps we could somehow put together an sceptics PACE fact pack for the attendees. Putting in copies of things like:

At least then the attendees would get to see the other side - assuming they read it. Obviously cost is an issue as is manpower.

Sounds like a good idea although the letter on its own is probably sufficient.

How about placing a copy of the letter on every chair in the room ? Would that be possible ?

Marky90

Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance

Exactly - i proposed this to the norwegian ME-organization, did not get an answer, but will do it anyway. I think its the right way to go.

Invisible Woman

Sounds like a good idea although the letter on its own is probably sufficient.

How about placing a copy of the letter on every chair in the room ? Would that be possible ?

Yeah, that would work. You could just give 'em links to the relevant articles maybe? I think they would need to see it in scientists words rather than just ours. After all we're just patients, what do we know?

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
Actually, my opinion would be for sending the letter to the Lancet with signatures and either a copy of DT's critique or Dr Goldin's stat critique (esp as it is through the sense about science website) and sending that in a polite email to the minister for health in the Norse gov't
along with our concerns for the upcoming seminar.

Crosspost.
Edited to add:
The reason beings that the people who are going to attend--we can't be sure how open a mind they have. They may know what they're expecting to hear and it fits with their views.

Still it worth the effort--we can't know who might stop to think on it.
But if this can still go on as has been said while real research is going on I think it's at the top that the problem needs fixing.

Marky90

Didn't a minister also give money directly to fluge and mella ? Seems odd that even in a country which is leading biomedical research that it's still possible to end up with trudie chadler giving a talk on ME.

Its because Fluge & Mella dont participate too much in the media, they work on their good research. Wyller. et. al, however, loves to show their faces, and the pace authors have close connections to a lot of psychologists and doctors in norway.

And - the conference, that the "the norwegian center for ME" arrange, is filled with psychologists, which is reflected in the conference program.

A.B.

Actually, my opinion would be for sending the letter to the Lancet with signatures and either a copy of DT's critique or Dr Goldin's stat critique (esp as it is through the sense about science website) and sending that in a polite email to the minister for health in the Norse gov't
along with our concerns for the upcoming seminar.

Make sure to say that patients do not want any money to be spent on psych research or treatment. It should all go towards funding biomedical research and providing assistance to patients.

Marky90

What can we do to help @Marky90? Donations for photocopies? Help compiling info?

It`s not too expensive to do, but as I`m saving for rituximab at the moment, that would be nice ofc. I`m participating in a norwegian group called "ME-forskning", which translates to "ME-research". Maybe they are willing to spend some money, we have a meeting at the eight. It will be done anyway, it`s important.

A.B.

A more formal opposition to PACE would be desirable. Ideally a speaker at the conference that would present the aforementioned material.

If that's not feasible then at least permission to distribute the material to participants must be sought or the organizers might just throw it all in the garbage bin. If the conference is held to promote and defend psych interests in CFS this could easily happen. If it's just held because someone who doesn't know any better mistakens Chalder and colleagues for experts then we have a chance.

PS: it would be really nice to expose the corruption of the PACE trial in the same conference Chalder will try to promote it.

Last edited:

Marky90

A more formal opposition to PACE would be desirable. Ideally a speaker at the conference that would present the aforementioned material.

If that's not feasible then at least permission to distribute the material to participants must be sought or the organizers might just throw it all in the garbage bin. If the conference is held to promote and defend psych interests in CFS this could easily happen. If it's just held because someone who doesn't know any better mistakens Chalder and colleagues for experts then we have a chance.

I think our national ME-organization will do this, i am in contact with them. Next time i`m in Oslo i will seek a chat with the arrangers, maybe they are willing to do as you propose.

SilverbladeTE

Well folks, it looks like the PACE gravy train is still rolling forward - even in Norway. Trudie Chalder is a speaker at a research seminar on CFS/ME being held on April 18th 2016.

http://www.euro-me.org/news-Q12016-003.htm

Perhaps it's a brilliant twist to demonstrate that the whole thing was just an exercise to prove how not to research anything.....but I doubt it.

Boo her off the damn stage!! (if possible)
Seriously
If that had been done from the start, mass ranks dissing the psych S.O.B.s, we wouldn't be in this position, now.