• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Treating gut issues before methylation?

Hi,

I really need help understanding what is happening to me.

Ever since taking a B-complex with folic acid, it looks like I have a methylation block. I developed food intolerances, constant burping, histamine intolerance, and a complete worsening of my condition.

Ran a few tests and this is what it revealed:
- vitamin B6 is 3x too high (I assume because it doesn't get converted to P5P)
- vitamin B5 and folic acid are a bit high
- I have gut issues
- H pylori
- SIBO
- most likely leaky gut (because of lack of beneficial leakygut strains)
- Heterozygous MTHFR C667T mutation
- Various heteorzygous histamine related mutations (HNMT, AOC1/ABP1)

In the next few days I will also be tested for pyroluria and holotranscobalamin (to see if I have a functional B12 deficiency).

QUESTIONS
1) Is it possible I'm suffering from a methyltrap? Would this be confirmed by a low holotranscobalamin result?

2) I read that I must treat the gut first. However, B12 deficiencies can lead to permanent nerve damage (and I have severe ear problems): is there any danger to staying in a methylation block for too long, especially regarding B12? It's been 6 months, I feel like I would like to kickstart methylation as soon as possible but I read everywhere it's gut first.

Thank you very much, I am completely lost

Last edited:

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
There is a SIBO doctor on YT who said that the bacteria also uses methylation and doing a methylation protocol before getting them under control just "fertilizes the bacteria." (Sorry, I saw the YT video years ago and cannot remember who it was. Although, I may have seen in on Beyond MTHFR in one of his COMT videos. ??)

I wonder if a way around that might be to go the route of B12 injections or possibly @Hip's idea about the b12 oils to avoid the digestive tract altogether.

??

Thanks for
There is a SIBO doctor on YT who said that the bacteria also uses methylation and doing a methylation protocol before getting them under control just "fertilizes the bacteria." (Sorry, I saw the YT video years ago and cannot remember who it was. Although, I may have seen in on Beyond MTHFR in one of his COMT videos. ??)

I wonder if a way around that might be to go the route of B12 injections or possibly @Hip's idea about the b12 oils to avoid the digestive tract altogether.

??
Thanks for the reply Judee.

Indeed, I read that SIBO leads to an excess of unmetabolized folic acid, since the extra bacteria produces folic acid. So I could see how kickstarting methylation could create a block.

However I am afraid of B12 deficiency damage. Even if my serum is normal and homocystein is low, I still have neuropathy, tinnitus and hyperacusis.

Do you know how long shouldnt B12 deficiency go untreated?

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Do you know how long shouldnt B12 deficiency go untreated?

Unfortunately, I don't. I'm sorry. I know you definitely need some. How do you do trying to get it from things like beef or beef liver?

I think the nice thing about a nutrient dense food is lots of times there are other co-factors that are not present in a supplement making absorption better maybe. ??

I hope someone will answer your question.

For what you mentioned..."neuropathy, tinnitus, and hyperacusis" I do find a pinch of ginkgo helps me on the first two.

I started taking it for the neuropathy but noticed it helped the tinnitus as well. It also calms down my skin jumpiness.

I'm not sure about the hyperacusis though. My house is pretty quiet. However, I almost always have to turn the sound down on YT videos by about 80%.

I'll have to test it sometime though; try to listen to one shortly after taking the ginkgo and see. :)

Edit: I forgot to say that I have a theory that tinnitus is neuropathy of the ears.

Last edited: