• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Too many ME/CFS hypotheses! Where do you lean? (POLL)

Which ME/CFS Hypothesis do you support? (can pick multiple)

• Total voters
I saw an interesting recovery story in a Facebook group. Man with ME for 10+ years. Homebound since 2016 reported full recovery/remission (working full time, no symptoms) with treatment: Valcyte, Ritonavir and Otezla/Apremilast. What theory could his doctor have had for this treatment?

roller

wiggle jiggle
changed my vote
with covid some things happened (again) i didnt have in years plus some other odd things
...when looking up ACE+bradykinin (the covid culprits) which impressingly might explain that... i found, they are what scheibenbogen actually proposes for mecfs...
(hope i dont totally misunderstand this document
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1568997220300823 )

im wondering, if covid now proves that scheibenbogen/wirth were right?

Last edited:

Wishful

Actually, I believe it's the other way around. That the symptoms come from Tryptophan being too high, and Kynurenine being too low.

That's one hypothesis, and I consider it a very narrow view type of hypothesis; it makes some logical sense when looking at a single cell, but isn't based on whole-body observations. It doesn't match my observations of my ME. My symptoms definitely increase when TRP increases in my brain, and also when IFN-g increases, which should increase IDO.

I presently seem to be suffering from some sort of immune activation event, and 20 minutes after ingesting quickly-digested carbs, my symptoms flare up, which I consider to be due to insulin response increasing TRP transport into my brain. I'm considering taking part of a tryptophan tablet to see what happens, but those tablets are around 15 years old, so I'm not sure if it's still TRP (or maybe some toxic breakdown product). I think it's the TRP content in meat that's been bothering me lately.

sometexan84

I had not. I went though it now though, thanks. It's definitely interesting, and well-documented (like all his stuff).

EDIT - my "like all his stuff" comment above might sound confusing. I thought this was "Cort" (Johnson), but instead it's "Kurt" and I don't know who that is.

While I can't say I buy into the fungal intolerance theory (mostly because it doesn't match up well with my tests/symptoms/conditions), I DO believe that fungal and bacterial infections have been downplayed. I actually just got my microbiome test kit from Thryve and I'm excited to get my results back.

At any rate, I hope he's not right, cause that would be a major curveball in my treatment approach.

Last edited:

sometexan84

changed my vote
with covid some things happened (again) i didnt have in years plus some other odd things
...when looking up ACE+bradykinin (the covid culprits) which impressingly might explain that... i found, they are what scheibenbogen actually proposes for mecfs...
(hope i dont totally misunderstand this document
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1568997220300823 )

im wondering, if covid now proves that scheibenbogen/wirth were right?
It appears to be a solid idea and w/ proven treatment. Too bad it costs $20,000

roller

wiggle jiggle
haha... how many thousands of euros did i pay for some idiot blood test with same even more idiot 60 minute blahblah around?
if $20.000 had kept me in life and somewhere near a "workforce" i would have happily paid.

Wishful

@sometexan84 , I skimmed the bradykinin paper, and didn't get the feeling that it applied to my ME. I noticed that they kept saying "a subset of ME", which to me suggests a downstream effect of ME. Various other bits of it caught my attention for not fitting my ME. I got the feeling that they'd found an abnormal measurement on a cellular level, and put effort into creating a theory which they then fit whatever ME symptoms could possibly be explained by it, which isn't all that difficult, since ME has so many different symptoms and patterns of responses.

I have the only correct explanation , this is my own guess , I would call it aerobic glycolysis energy production in chronic fatigue , muscle in cfs patients have higher levels of oxidative stress , they have an upregulated antioxidant system , they have a diversion of glucose into the pentose phosphate pathway . they have a higher than normal expression of PKM2 and lower activity of p53 . lowers levels of p53 activity leads to less atp production from oxidative phosphorylation . so when there is time for a need in atp (during physical activity ) they use aerobic glycolysis to get their atp, leading to higher than normal lactate levels

sometexan84

haha... how many thousands of euros did i pay for some idiot blood test with same even more idiot 60 minute blahblah around?
if $20.000 had kept me in life and somewhere near a "workforce" i would have happily paid.
You should get tested for elevated ß2 adrenergic receptor (ß2AdR) autoantibodies.

Some have had symptom relief lasting 6-12 months after Immunoadsorption (IA). They appear to still be tinkering w/ their IA treatment to make it last longer....

Immunoadsorption to remove ß2 adrenergic receptor antibodies in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome CFS/ME

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Efficacy of Repeat Immunoadsorption