• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tolerable alternatives to soap

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
near constant hives etc

Someone here on PR mentioned that "Hives on the arms may be caused by a B6 deficiency."

Weird how I could use anything all my life then I'm suddenly reactive to everything, makes no sense

If your liver is overwhelmed then it might be having trouble dealing with all the things you used to tolerate. Even sensitivity to odors can be related to liver problems.

1:5 Soap:Water ratio right?

That's the ratio for the foaming bottles I'm using but it may vary based on the type of foam mechanism. You can also play with the ratio to adjust the foam density.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Thanks @PatJ , my wife is going to start using this where she works. Currently, they provide her with anti-bacterial soaps that are causing severe peeling of her skin.

Yikes. That's a double-whammy of wiping out the beneficial bacteria while causing damage.

I'm glad to hear the alternative soap is useful.

I love solutions.

And sharing them far and wide for the benefit of many people. :)

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
BTW, the foaming soap dispensers I use are just empty ones from Amazon. I got a bulk pack because they're cheaply made so there are bound to be some duds in the pack. So far though, the first dispenser has been in use for a few months without any problems.

When I first looked for foaming dispensers I found a large range in prices. The costly ones look nicer but the dispenser is the part that wears out, sometimes quickly, so I thought a bulk pack of inexpensive ones would be a much better deal.

IThinkImTurningJapanese

BTW, the foaming soap dispensers I use are just empty ones from Amazon.

Amazon.co.jp wants $45 for 3 dispensers, I'll pass.

After noticing how much more effective foaming is when my dishwashing detergent dispenser ran empty, I purchased these for $9. :D

IMG_1022.JPG

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
I've stopped using Dr. Bronners as a liquid soap replacement. It leaves a film in the sink that requires scrubbing to remove, and apparently that film is additive within the pipes because I keep having to unclog the sink. I've used a plunger on the sink several times and black gunk has come up from the pipes in the water that flowed back up into the sink.

After some research online I've found that some people who use Dr. Bronners get clogged pipes, some don't. One commenter also mentioned black gunk in the pipes.

Next I'm going to try Nature Clean unscented hand soap. The ingredient list is minimal and free of endocrine disruptors and other nasty things: Water, Potassium Oleate, Glycerin, Sodium Chloride.

I realize this post is kind of old, but in case anyone comes wandering in here:

I don't use shampoo or anything for my hair. Just rub it with water once a week or so. It's actually better than shampoo, after an adjustment period of about six week.

I use the unscented facial cream by the boots storebrand, it's the only cream I can handle.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Next I'm going to try Nature Clean unscented hand soap. The ingredient list is minimal and free of endocrine disruptors and other nasty things: Water, Potassium Oleate, Glycerin, Sodium Chloride.

I've been using this for a few months now. I'm also using the Nature Clean dish soap. Both work well enough, have minimal ingredients, and don't leave any residue in the sink or pipes like Dr. Bronner's did.

Pearshaped

has worked for me:

-chewing oregano or the bulb of cloves instead of brushing teeth.(swish and spit)

-instead of soap and shampoo : chamomile tincture 20%(contains 20% alcohol-probably not for severe MCAS!)
vinegar(kills off pathogens and is not sticky)
Cream: Cellutone P12 by Lydia Dainow
Main ingredient here is Hamamelis virginiana.