• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Timings of taking B6 and Niacinamide

Hi all.
I'm taking Methyl B12 with Methylfolate and B6 (p5p) in the morning. Niacinamide before bed. What is the the common time of the day for taking B6? Should I switch to taking it before bed?

I've noticed that Niacinamide (while beneficial for me) has somewhat calming effect so I take it before bed. But can't notice what B6 is doing exactly, except that I have my dreams returned with it and (probably) slightly better sleep.

What's the common sense about timings of above mentioned vitamins?

Mary

Moderator Resource
What's the common sense about timings of above mentioned vitamins?
Hi @Aragorn - I don't know if there's a common sense timing, but from my experience, I do the same timing as you. I know that B6 (P-5-P) is contained in many sleep formulas. However, when I took it at night, it caused insomnia. So I take in the morning and after lunch and do fine.

I take niacin at night before bed and also middle of the night. It's calming for me, as niaciniamide is for you. It also slows down methylation. When I took niacin in the morning, it made me tired. But I find it's helpful for sleep. I did try niacinamide some years ago but found that niacin (the kind that makes you flush) was more effective.

Hi @Aragorn - I don't know if there's a common sense timing, but from my experience, I do the same timing as you. I know that B6 (P-5-P) is contained in many sleep formulas. However, when I took it at night, it caused insomnia. So I take in the morning and after lunch and do fine.

I take niacin at night before bed and also middle of the night. It's calming for me, as niaciniamide is for you. It also slows down methylation. When I took niacin in the morning, it made me tired. But I find it's helpful for sleep. I did try niacinamide some years ago but found that niacin (the kind that makes you flush) was more effective.

That was helpful, thanks. I'll also try niacin again, instead of niacinamide. I don't remember why I switched to Niacinamide from Niacin.

I know that tolerance to flush builds up and higher doses of niacin will be tolerated. But what is flush, or tolerance to flush indicative to in regards to methylation ? Do you happen to know?

Mary

Moderator Resource
I know that tolerance to flush builds up and higher doses of niacin will be tolerated. But what is flush, or tolerance to flush indicative to in regards to methylation ? Do you happen to know?
I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question. I just know that niacin is supposed to slow down methylation but don't know how the flush or tolerance to flush comes into play, if at all. I have read that it's best to take the lowest effective dose. So if someone is trying to slow down methylation and 50 mg. does it even though they may not flush at 50 mg., then that's what they should use.