• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Theoretically... if you had to move house

Strawberry

How would you do it? If max you can be active is an hour per day and only in 3-5 minute increments, how would you imagine yourself packing and eliminating years of stuff? How long do you think it would take? Oh and it’s only you...

Im trying to get ready for that potential future, I can’t own a house with zero income. I have tons I want to keep, and tons I’ve been saving for my daughter, and tons that just needs to go away. But I never got unpacked before I crashed HARD and never returned. Although I’d do anything now to be at that level when I crashed hard. I’m so much worse than 5 years ago. Since I can’t go backwards, I need to figure out how to pack and get stuff to thrift on my minimal energy.

Right now I rarely have energy to microwave frozen food, and I’ve been trying for a week to do laundry. I have so much I want to do, and need to figure out how to do it. I have zero help, especially thanks to COVID........

PLEASE HELP ME STRATEGIZE

xebex

Oh I feel you, in a similar position we movers 3 years ago and I got sick right after so half our unpacking never got unpacked. My only suggestion is try to do one small thing that last no longer than 5mins a day. After a couple of weeks of this maybe you can do 2 things a day. I’m not saying treat it like GET I’m just saying start waaaayyy below capacity and work up to the max you can manage.

Rufous McKinney

eliminating years of stuff

I'd focus on this eliminating as first priority. Maybe you could use the limited bits of effort to literally- Put all That over in one corner, or room what have you. Maybe then you could call...somebody who might come by and give you some money for it and take it away. There are at least three places in my town (second hand, consignment)where they would come by and do that.

Although I’d do anything now to be at that level when I crashed hard. I’m so much worse than 5 years ago.

Ditto, hate to say it. :grumpy:

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
My sister introduced me to a book years ago called the Sidetrack Sisters Clean up or something like that. I would love to start using their system again but even such a well organized system takes energy.

However, I think one thing they said was when cleaning closets, etc. Have 4 boxes--one for give away, one for move to another room, one to put back (in the same closet) and one for throw away.

You could label them as you need (maybe the put back could be your pack box) but then just leave the boxes in the room. As you move from one room to the next in your normal day, you could put one or two things in them as you go. You could even do this coming and going if you set up boxes in several rooms however be aware that way you may forget your original purpose of going into that room. :rolleyes: o_O :aghhh:

Last edited:

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
I've moved several times since I've been sick, but it's a little easier when you're a young adult who hasn't accumulated too much stuff yet.

Is there a way that you could sort some things in bed? The last time I moved, I would put two boxes on my bed, one for 'pack' and one for 'give away.' Then I'd bring a drawerful of stuff to the bed, and toss things into the two boxes. Or, if it was things I had already made decisions about, I could do something that wasn't too grueling like wrapping up glasses and plates, for a few minutes before lying back down and resting.

Another thought is to try to strategize while you're in bed. Go through your possessions in your mind (take pictures of what's in your rooms or cabinets if that helps jog your memory) and think about what you want to keep, gift, give away, and trash. Then, when you have the energy, get a bunch of post-it notes (preferably four different colors so you don't even need to write on them) and stick them on the things you've made decisions about. This way, on a day when you have energy, you can quickly pack things up or move them around without having to spend too much mental energy. Or, when things are safer, you might have somebody come by to help you and you could direct them very easily because everything is marked.

The good thing is that you're thinking in the long term, so you can do this very gradually. One strategy is to try to attack small piles of things at a time. Instead of thinking: 'I'm going to sort EVERYTHING' or 'I'm going to go through the entire kitchen today!' keep your expectations small and limited. Along the lines of: 'I'm going to tackle this one cabinet over the course of the week' or 'This week I'm going to try to sort through this one box."

Also, if there's any way you can get things out of your house as you go through this process, it will feel so good if you could do it! Throw out things that need to be thrown out! If there are things you want to donate ask if someone can pick them up, or see if your daughter can come pick up things for her. Getting those things out of the house will help things feel a bit less overwhelming.

Strawberry

I hear you I have so far managed to do it about twice in two months, that’s ok, try once a week instead of once a day.

I actually spent 5 minutes yesterday! Tried emptying my bookshelves of rocks (yes literally) into a box and I will wrap them later. I can sit on the couch and wrap, so easy to finish. Today was pickling beets so I can pack more. But it felt good mostly getting the bookshelf emptied. More to go....

Strawberry

Is there a way that you could sort some things in bed?

Unfortunately I think dragging things to my bedroom would take more energy. I have a footstool I can drag around room by room. But definitely some stuff will be done on the bed or couch. I really like your idea of strategy. It makes sense to me and will work.

Everyone that responded, thank you so much. I’m such a big picture person, but this thread definitely helped break things down into manageable bites. It is now is a doable task.

Rather strange how packing and eliminating stuff can become so overwhelming when one is so used to focusing on the big picture!

Strawberry

Also, an add on in case this thread helps someone else in the future. Years ago there was a thread here about similar subject, and someone said if you are having problems eliminating, hold an item in your hands and thank it for all the wonderful memories it has given you. Probably the toughest thing for me was my mountain bike. I still have my memories, and my niece is now making memories with my gorgeous bike. Mmm hhmmm.... I still call it mine. As do my old truck. But be truthful, we aren’t getting younger, and we aren’t getting better!

xebex

I actually spent 5 minutes yesterday! Tried emptying my bookshelves of rocks (yes literally) into a box and I will wrap them later. I can sit on the couch and wrap, so easy to finish. Today was pickling beets so I can pack more. But it felt good mostly getting the bookshelf emptied. More to go....

Thats great! I managed to sell a jacket and some boots today, small steps small steps.

Strawberry

Ugh I don’t know if I could handle selling stuff, showering is really hard for me lately. And I’d want to shower before being seen by someone. But $$ is always nice!

niall

How would you do it? If max you can be active is an hour per day and only in 3-5 minute increments, how would you imagine yourself packing and eliminating years of stuff? How long do you think it would take? Oh and it’s only you...

Im trying to get ready for that potential future, I can’t own a house with zero income. I have tons I want to keep, and tons I’ve been saving for my daughter, and tons that just needs to go away. But I never got unpacked before I crashed HARD and never returned. Although I’d do anything now to be at that level when I crashed hard. I’m so much worse than 5 years ago. Since I can’t go backwards, I need to figure out how to pack and get stuff to thrift on my minimal energy.

Right now I rarely have energy to microwave frozen food, and I’ve been trying for a week to do laundry. I have so much I want to do, and need to figure out how to do it. I have zero help, especially thanks to COVID........

PLEASE HELP ME STRATEGIZE
I have a different suggestion to offer. Dr. Klimas and Dr. Rey are finding most of their patients have a problem with mold. Last year, I tested positive for Ochratoxin. I lived in a house as a child in which the basement partially flooded. Dr. Rey gave me her mycotoxin treatment recommendation. It is as follows: Take coconut charcoal one capsule daily, two hours apart from other medications for two weeks. Then take one capsule twice daily two hours apart from other medications for two weeks. Then continue charcoal twice daily and start liquid liposomal glutathione one drop daily and advance as tolerated by one drop daily to one teaspoon daily. Continue treatment for six months and then recheck urine for mold toxicity.
I actually started with the liposomal glutatione twice a day. Dr. Rey said that that was fine as long as I was tolerating it well. I noticed a subtle change in my energy level in about two months after beginning this protocol. I am now active about seven to eight hours a day. I still have bad days but not nearly as bad as before. My last immune labs were in March which showed HHV6 and EBV antibody levels very low. My immune system is still weak. I am told that it can take another two years to get the mold out of my body but at least now I can do housework and shop without feeling as if I'm dying. I would suggest that you or anyone with CFS try this treatment. Dr. Rey told me that she has patients who have been able to go back to work.
Due to added pressure on me here at home with an illness of a family member, I can't be on this forum very much so further posts will be very limited. Best wishes to you. Oh, I would also suggest that you get Dr. Neil Nathan's book Toxic. It explains everything. I learned that my irritable bowel problem was caused by years of inflammation which damaged the lining of the gut. This caused me to become gluten intolerant. When I eliminated the gluten, I was much better.

Davsey27

I have a different suggestion to offer. Dr. Klimas and Dr. Rey are finding most of their patients have a problem with mold. Last year, I tested positive for Ochratoxin. I lived in a house as a child in which the basement partially flooded. Dr. Rey gave me her mycotoxin treatment recommendation. It is as follows: Take coconut charcoal one capsule daily, two hours apart from other medications for two weeks. Then take one capsule twice daily two hours apart from other medications for two weeks. Then continue charcoal twice daily and start liquid liposomal glutathione one drop daily and advance as tolerated by one drop daily to one teaspoon daily. Continue treatment for six months and then recheck urine for mold toxicity.
I actually started with the liposomal glutatione twice a day. Dr. Rey said that that was fine as long as I was tolerating it well. I noticed a subtle change in my energy level in about two months after beginning this protocol. I am now active about seven to eight hours a day. I still have bad days but not nearly as bad as before. My last immune labs were in March which showed HHV6 and EBV antibody levels very low. My immune system is still weak. I am told that it can take another two years to get the mold out of my body but at least now I can do housework and shop without feeling as if I'm dying. I would suggest that you or anyone with CFS try this treatment. Dr. Rey told me that she has patients who have been able to go back to work.
Due to added pressure on me here at home with an illness of a family member, I can't be on this forum very much so further posts will be very limited. Best wishes to you. Oh, I would also suggest that you get Dr. Neil Nathan's book Toxic. It explains everything. I learned that my irritable bowel problem was caused by years of inflammation which damaged the lining of the gut. This caused me to become gluten intolerant. When I eliminated the gluten, I was much better.
Active 7 to 8 hrs a day.That is great improvement

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
Are you on D-ribose and nicotinamide riboside? That should boost your energy 50%.

How would you do it? If max you can be active is an hour per day and only in 3-5 minute increments, how would you imagine yourself packing and eliminating years of stuff? How long do you think it would take? Oh and it’s only you

Being in the same position I've had to do this. First, make sure your pain is well controlled. Next you have to push yourself while respecting your energy capacity to overcome the natural pain avoidance signals. Hire some kids to help you pack, they work cheap and appreciate the money. Just make sure they are well trained. Hire movers with a long track record and many good ratings from the U-haul Moving Help to do the actual moving. Break it down to do as much as you can but seek cheap help when you need it is the key.

Strawberry

start liquid liposomal glutathione
Are you on D-ribose and nicotinamide riboside? That should boost your energy 50%.

I have d ribose, but what do these other two do? Ribose doesn’t help hardly at all. Maybe it’s because I’m not using nicotinamide riboside along with the ribose?

Also just for the note, I don’t get pain from moving, I get extremely winded from minimal movement. Like sweeping for 2 minutes and I’m breathing as hard as a normal that just sprinted 100 yard race.