• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Wheelchair Question...

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
Yes, Jax, it is so important to get out if possible. I hope is all works out fine. We keep one in the car and one in the house. I don't know what wheelchair you should get. One of mine was ordered, the transport chair and the one at home was bought at a store in town. Not sure about brands etc.

LaurelW

See my post #44 in this thread. After having this chair for a month, I'm glad I got this model, since it can be used for both self-propelled and transport. It's much easier to maneuver for someone pushing if you pop the big wheels off, and with them on, I can get around in the grocery store while my guy pushes the cart. It doesn't have inflated tires, though, they are solid. I don't spend huge amounts of time in it so that's no problem, but I think the ride would be a bit smoother with the regular bicycle tires. But then, you wouldn't be able to take them off without tools and a bit of fuss.

*GG*

So - we've decided to get a wheelchair.

Can anyone recommend a good one that can be pushed (and I can push myself for short distances if need be)... and can fold up and fit in a car...for under $200?

I would say check out Craigslist if you are paying out of pocket. Happy shopping.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi, Does anyone know how to get a wheelchair in the UK. i HAVE FINALLY PLUCKED UP THE COURAGE TO DISCUSS IT WITH MY HUSBAND AN HE ACTUALLY THOUGH IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA, IN ORDER TO GET OUT MORE WITH THE KIDS (oops sorry, not shouting)

Can i get one loaned on the NHS? or can you only get one if you cant physically walk? I am afraid to go to my doctors as they always treat me like s**t and we have disagreed strongly in the past. He has no idea how disabled i am by this condition. Any thoughts appreciated.

Sallysblooms

Justy, I don't know about the UK. We bought both of ours. online and at a store here in town.

It was so neat today. We went to vote early and they had a voting booth that was for sitting. So handy for my w.chair. I have very few CFS problems now, but my POTS will not allow me to stand long. Heart rate goes through the roof.

I didn't use the chair for our dermatologist appt or for eating at a restaurant, but we took it for the voting in case of a line, but it was all very fast. People were so sweet.

UPDATE!!! We got the wheelchair, and we went out yesterday to THE RENAISSANCE FAIRE!!! Oh my gosh, it was so amazing. We spent FIVE HOURS there - 'walking around' and while it was still somewhat tiring, the point was, I could DO IT and it wasn't EXHAUSTING!!!

So, here's my feeling about using the chair for the FIRST TIME.

Yes, there were times I felt "uncomfortable" using the chair - like when I had to go to the bathroom, but could "walk" to the stall. BUT THEN, I noticed that several other people (one was an older lady in a Jazzy, and one was a younger woman with a broken leg) doing the same thing - and I was like, wait - no one is looking at them like fakers! So, I got over that quickly! Other downside, the Renaissance Faire is not 100% wheelchair accessible, so that makes it a little difficult. I couldn't go into as many stores as a healthy me would have liked...but the bottom line is, as I said to my husband, I wouldn't have been able to go to the Faire to BEGIN WITH without the chair, so who cares? I'll take 80% over 0% any day!

However, everyone WAS incredibly nice. In one store, a woman gave me a pendant for healing. Also, you make friends with lots of other people in wheelchairs, which was totally cool! Everytime you saw someone else in chair, we would wind up getting in conversations or saying hello. It also helps that my husband has a sense of humor about it, all... as he took to calling me "wheels" throughout the day. :)

That being said, my hubby refused to get me a chair with the big wheels...as, knowing me, I would have the urge to push myself, and lose energy. So, I went around with JUST a transport chair, which he had to push the entire day. Even though I hated the lack of independence, I think it was the right decision, because I saved a lot of energy just SITTING there. The best part, during one hour of the day, I just CRASHED. My hubby put a big hat on me, and I just settled down in the shade of my chair with a blanket and slept. He rolled me around and played archery! It was great!!!

I definitely suggest getting a chair! As I said in the beginning, between doing NOTHING and doing 80%...I'd take 80%!!!

If I don't crash today or tomorrow, we might go back next weekend. :)

Mithriel

I am glad you had a good time. It will make you feel as if you are still part of the world.

After fifteen years I have no shame about getting out of my chair. If I feel up to it I will get out of my chair and have a wander round a small shop. OH waits outside but refuses to sit in chair ....

Other times, I sit outside and he holds up things he thinks I would like to see :Retro smile:

When we went shopping with the kids they would have to go into shops I couldn't get into. I spent a lot of time sitting outside beside dogs, we would get quite friendly.

It is not the same as walking, but infinitely better than being stuck at home.

hugs,

Mithriel

LaurelW

That is SO awesome, Jax! I'm envious as I love Renn. Faires and haven't been to one forever.
You were probably smart to get just a transport chair--I really struggle with figuring out how much wheeling myself will be too much. If I have to go very far, or if there are ramps, it's too exhausting. I've discovered that a lot of the really big stores (Costco, Home Depot, Smith's Marketplace) have their own electric carts, so I'm going to use those from now on.

Thank you! It was so amazing...on the drive home, I kept closing my eyes and seeing the beautiful fall foilage and the people walking about in costume. It was SO NICE! It will definitely be what I close my eyes and dream too all week long! We do need to get out. Today, I am tired...but, I don't think more than usual...and I work Sunday mornings so that's always a LOT of energy. Still, I wouldn't trade those five hours right now for the world!!! And, for your married or partnered ladies, I think my hubby needed a day out, too. :) It was good for BOTH of us.

Thank you SO MUCH everyone for giving me the strength to use my chair.

(Now, I just have to survive a family outing in one...) :/

Sallysblooms

I am SOOO happy that you had a great day! I know your family outing will be great. Just keep your great sence of humor and your head up. Close your eyes and think of the R. Faire!