• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?

jepps

I have just reached 1 Tbs a couple of days ago and it seems to be really helping BMs. :thumbsup:

izzy

This sounds good.

Tatertot Posts:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread73514-39.html
RS2 is what is in a raw potato, green banana, and raw starches. It is resistant to digestion because of it's shape, size, and physical characteristics.
RS3 is formed when amylose starch (but not amylopectin) cools. It gels together under heat, and when it cools, it forms a crystalline structure known as retrograded starch. This retrograded starch is again in a form that stomach acid and normal digestive processes can't break down.

Both types of RS are fermented primarily by beneficial bacteria and produce SCFA, but each type of RS is fermented by different microbes which is why I think it's important to eat a variety of RS sources--raw starch AND RS-rich foods AND cooked and cooled starches.

So it makes sense to take RS2 from raw PS, and additionally eat cooked and cooled rice (or potatoes) to obtain RS3, and therefore we create more different microbes.

Best regards, jepps

jepps

And this study says:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...ionid=F650CA8D52290C3BAC79D2B3AD0DEB9B.f04t02

After rice was cooked using different methods, including steamed, pilaf, and stir-fried, the stir-fried indica rice displayed the least starch hydrolysis rate and the largest resistant starch (RS) content. These results showed that cold storage of steamed normal rice at 4 °C for 24 h followed by stir-frying with corn oil (10%) reduced the rate of starch hydrolysis and increased the RS content. Ingesting stir-fried rice therefore can reduce the postprandial blood–glucose concentration and insulin response, which benefits the health of diabetics and prediabetics. The large RS content of the stir-fried normal rice could also provide health benefits to the colon.

To maximize RS: cook, cool for 24 hours, and eat cold. Next best method is: cook, cool, fry in oil. Next best: cook, cool, reheat with moist heat. Worst way: Cook, eat hot.

New for me is, that cooling means cooling in the refrigerator.

Last edited:

snowathlete

Packs of precooked rice are one thing I use. Handy when too Sick to prep much food. I also eat cooked cooled potatoes and green bananas and potatoe starch supp.

Gondwanaland

I have been eating RS3 all my life and it never helped...

My body has been aching just like it did when I used to eat gluten and I think the culprit is the solanin in the PS.

izzy

xjhuez

Glad to see this thread is still going.

I continue to take a few tablespoons of potato starch with breakfast, but only on blind faith that it's making butyrate, I feel absolutely nothing. I'm going to switch gears a bit and start making a lot of RS3 foods. Last night I baked 3 large purple potatoes, which I'm currently refrigerating for the retrograde starch. I'll eat them cold over then next few days. I'll do the same with a few cups of rice and pinto beans. I may even make some hummus. Even if it has no effect it's time to shakeup my stale diet anyway.

I'm wondering when I should start RS as I recently finished a Humaworm cleanse which targets parasites and candida. Prior to that I also took some anti-fungals/natural antibiotics occasionally for some months so I would believe that my good bacteria is pretty wiped out by now. I'm sort of doing the 4R Gut rebuilding program written by someone here.

Just started taking Align probiotic (since 4 days), also have some other probiotics but too much gives me really bad brain fog/fatigue and general inflammation so I'm starting low in order to really be able to rebuild my gut again.

Anyone got advice on (if?) when I should start resistant starch? I'm wondering whether its too soon as I might not have much good bacteria to feed.

For the RS, I've attempted taking Potato starch it in the past for just a couple of days, remember it giving me better sleep at least. One side-effect though was bodily wide inflammation,, mainly joint pain which got pretty severe as I remember. Anyone else experience this and might know what the cause is?

NilaJones

For the RS, I've attempted taking Potato starch it in the past for just a couple of days, remember it giving me better sleep at least. One side-effect though was bodily wide inflammation,, mainly joint pain which got pretty severe as I remember. Anyone else experience this and might know what the cause is?

When I get that with foods, I figure it means I am allergic/sensitive to them and should not eat them. In your shoes, I would try a different RS. Tapioca starch/flour is one that very few people in the western world are allergic to.

I am very interested to know whether other people here interpret this differently.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
@Butydoc - just curious - is your tagname due to an interest in butyrate? This thread, of course, is all about gut bacteria producing more butyrate etc. by feeding on resistant starch and other prebiotics.

snowathlete

@kraken I also had a period of antibiotic treatment so need to nurture my gut biome. I take some RS supplement but way less than most on here. My view is that if you have low numbers (as we do, due to abx) then you don't need huge amounts as it will just pass on right through - not enough there to eat it all!

I'm also more cautious than I used to be with supplements. If it gives you inflammation then I'd stop taking it.

Butydoc

@Butydoc - just curious - is your tagname due to an interest in butyrate? This thread, of course, is all about gut bacteria producing more butyrate etc. by feeding on resistant starch and other prebiotics.
Hi Sasha,

My user name has nothing to do with the gut. I'm a general and plastic surgeon. It was short hand for beauty doctor. I use to have a license plate " BUTYDOC" but got rid of it when some asked me if I were a proctologist.

Best,
Gary

Gondwanaland

@kraken @NilaJones let's not forget that potatoes belong to the solanacea family and for many people they are just poison for the joints (RA trigger). Next I am going to try green bananas titrating up slowly to see if I tolerate the histamines. I know tapioca starch works for many people but I am just cautious with manihot being a goitrogen.

izzy

cman89

Once again, and I do not want to sift through entire thread here: How is RS different from the soluble/insoluble, psyllium husk/ oatmeal fiber that we always hear about. especially interested in RS vs soluble fiber...

adreno

PR activist
Once again, and I do not want to sift through entire thread here: How is RS different from the soluble/insoluble, psyllium husk/ oatmeal fiber that we always hear about. especially interested in RS vs soluble fiber...
Resistant starch (RS) is starch and starch degradation products that escape from digestion in the small intestine of healthy individuals.[1] Resistant starch is considered the third type of dietary fiber, as it can deliver some of the benefits of insoluble fiber and some of the benefits of soluble fiber.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistant_starch

cman89

OK, but how is it different? In other words, does it not bind like soluble fiber? Is it non bulk forming? I assume it is indeed fermented....

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I assume there is some difference in how bacteria process the starches? Is soluble fiber not as beneficial in this regard?

I think different starches and fibres feed different gut bugs. RS is regarded as a 'prebiotic' - i.e. selectively feeds the 'good' bugs that produce all sorts of useful stuff as a byproduct of their fermentation, such as short-chain fatty acids, etc. - all good stuff for the immune system, among other things.

The general recommendation is to have a wide variety of fibres. The reason that people are taking potato starch is that it's difficult with our modern diet to get enough of the kind of resistant starch that it contains.

Had a look for a European supplier of potato starch that hasn't been heated above 140 degrees F, or whatever the magic number is...

I contacted Surya Foods about their Island Sun brand. A comment on the Free The Animal blog said they had confirmed this was raw. However, the chap on the phone said he didn't know the temperature because they simply repackage it.

Another member posted here that Rakusen heat their potato starch to 80 degrees C (176 F?).

I don't know if anyone has confirmed the temperature Kocken's potato starch is heated to.

DO-IT, a Dutch company, said their potato starch "has been heated with temperatures of around 150 degrees during drying." I got their details from Realfoods.co.uk, who sell this as their organic potato starch. They sell 1kg for £4.68, which is a fair bit cheaper than the prices I can find Bob's Red Mill for here.

I have compared the DO-IT and Bob's side-by-side in a glass of water, and they behaved similarly. Now I am past the headaches I don't seem to have much reaction to the Bob's starch, so I probably won't notice whether the other works or not.

Ocado stock a lot of Bob's Red Mill stuff, but no potato starch unfortunately...