• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Research Council of Norway invites ME-patients to propose research projects

Kalliope

Thank you @Kalliope ! Do you know how many years the projects are projected to run for?
No. Sintef is working on a website for their project, and I'm sure it will include a timeline. But don't know the time estimation for the other projects. If you need the info for an article, perhaps you can send a mail to Forskningsrådet and ask them?

Anne

Thanks again. It's not that important! I imagine the projects might run for a few years.

Thank you for your help!

Kalliope

Thanks again. It's not that important! I imagine the projects might run for a few years.

Thank you for your help!
Yes, I think particularly SINTEF's project might be running for some years, as it will involve gathering a lot of information. They did such a wonderful job last time with their report on ME from 2011. Here's the link if you haven't seen it before and would like to have a look. The summary on page 2. gives you an idea of its contents.

Kalliope

The application process in this project was in two steps. The user-panel sorted through all the applications that came in according to the guidelines together with the Council. Ten applications went to second round, to a panel of international experts appointed by the council.

These experts were anonymous during their assessment of the applications, but their names have afterwards been released in this article from the Council.

They were:
Dorte Gyrd-Hansen - Denmark
Jan Lünemann - Switzerland
Jessica Van Oosterwijck - Belgium
Jesus Castro - Spain
Jos WM van der Meer - The Netherlands

Kalliope

One of the trials that received allocations from the Research Council is a study on fecal transplantation and ME. They have created a Facebookpage for their trial - The Comeback Study - where they will give updates on the progress.

SINTEF - another receiver of allocations - is working on a website for their study on demography of ME-patients and evaluation of care.

I think it is wonderful to see that the communication with ME-patients, the openness and sharing of information led on by the Council, seems to continue into the research projects. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
2015-05-27-1432737046-7011731-redflag.png

Solstice

The application process in this project was in two steps. The user-panel sorted through all the applications that came in according to the guidelines together with the Council. Ten applications went to second round, to a panel of international experts appointed by the council.

These experts were anonymous during their assessment of the applications, but their names have afterwards been released in this article from the Council.

They were:
Dorte Gyrd-Hansen - Denmark
Jan Lünemann - Switzerland
Jessica Van Oosterwijck - Belgium
Jesus Castro - Spain

Bit scary to see van der Meer in there, but judging from what applications got selected he didn't have much input.

Kalliope

At least 2 of these are CBT/GET promoters. Looks like this process is working if the selected studies are good despite these people being consulted as experts.
The researchers who applied for this allocation, were invited to suggest international peers for the assessment. None of them did, though, so the Council had to find names themselves. Gosh, I wish I could be a fly on the wall (does that expression work in English too?), during the meeting(s) when the applications were discussed.. Hopefully it was educational for everybody involved..
EDIT TO ADD - and this shows how utter useful user involvement is! :thumbsup:
EDIT ONCE AGAIN TO ADD - .. and I think the participation from the Council to Invest in ME's conference has been useful as well. All decision makers on allocation to ME research should attend an international ME conference first. Otherwise the field must seem very messy and confusing..

Last edited:

Kalliope

I must admit all these names were new to me. van der Meer I'd heard before, but couldn't remember the context. What about the others? Familiar to anyone? What is their relation to ME?