• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"The Medical Medium" What’s Potentially at the Root of Medical Mysteries (EBV)

Can you provide more context for this quote?
I am not sure if you want to know why I looked at liver diseases in general or why I looked at EBV and the liver.If I don't answer your question to your satisfaction please ask again.

I was diagnosed as having CFS in 1993 in Australia.I didn't have a medical or scientific background so I decided to start from scratch ,reading textbooks and then journals.It seemed clear to me that undiagnosed liver damage is my health problem because I had the symptoms of cholestasis while taking medication known to cause cholestasis(nausea anorexia malaise altough it is worse than it sounds),severe fatigue is the main symptom of cholestasis and it affects the part of the liver where xenobiotic chemicals are detoxified(I am intolerant to chemicals.)

I don't remember exactly why I looked at EBV and the liver.Maybe after reading a blog by a CFS sufferer I decided to check if EBV affects the liver because I remember that in an article by Jules Dienstag Non-A,Non-B Hepatitis Gastroenterology 1983;85(I don't have the page number in front of me)there is a list of viruses that can cause liver disease and so I came across the abstract of the study by David H Adams.

I have also read somewhere that endotoxin can cause cholestasis(could it be because it is excreted in the bile?)Justin30 posted Endotoxin and Vitamin C Part1-Sepsis,Endotoxin and Vitamin C Archie Kalokerinos J Aust Coll Nutr & Env Med Vol 24 No 1 (April 2005)pages 17-21(it was a thread about Low T,high? and DHEA).

I understand that those in the same situation as myself are a minority,I am trying to find out about the symptoms and different pathologies of other fellow ME/CFS sufferers,I think that those that suffer from Glutathione Depletion-Methylation Cycle Block might also have difficulty eliminating chemicals so a study or a diagnosting test in the basis of the speed at which we eliminate chemicals would probably work for 2 subsets of patients since blood tests are unreliable when it comes to diagnosing liver damage that has already occured(although we might probably use different alternative metabolic pathways the one that synthesizes prostaglandins is most likely the alternative to Cytochrome P450enzymes-I don't know what happens to those who have glutathione depletion,they probably accumulate metabolites or is there an alternative metabolic pathway as well?)

If you want to know more about my symptoms or references from medical journals or anything else let me know.I am struggling to keep up with the information on research that is posted on forums,I don't think I ''ll be able to keep this up for very long even though I find the bits that I understand fascinating.

Last edited by a moderator:
@cfs6691

Can you cut and paste the abstract?
I didn't try to cut and paste(although I 've been successful at it a couple of times recently).I was able to find the entire article http://ajp.amjpathol.org/article/S0002-9440(10)62684-3/pdfand even though I triplechecked just in case I didn't get it right I noted the title of the article Systemic Viral Infections and Collateral Damage in the Liver.It might be interesting to those of you who know more about the workings of the immune system(I have focused more on the liver).I read some of the articles that participants post that contain information about tregs and natural killer cells but it will take a long time to familiarize myself with the immune system and the other topics discussed in forums.

I read the rest of the article (I probably didn't understand all the mechanisms described or referred to) but there is more to it than what I quoted.I would like to add that antibiotics (and other medications, contraceptive and anabolic steroids) can be very toxic to the liver and the possibility that the liver might be damaged simultaneously by a reaction to virus (''viral specific CD8+T cells, generated in response to a viral infection restricted to sites outside the liver,can trigger T-cell mediated hepatitis in the abscence of viral antigens in the liver") and a reaction to antibiotics (I don't know if there is any research on the topic of combined damage) should be considered as a possibility.How devastating would that be!

IreneF

It's about hepatitis as a consequence of viral infections. Hepatitis is easy to detect.

This is not really the right thread for this discussion.

Tammy

Anthony Williams book has been a life saver for me. I am healing after 20 yrs. of hell thanks to this man. This book put the pieces of the puzzle together and made sense out of a lot of things for me. I have personally researched and researched for 15 yrs trying to get better. I had lots of lightbulb moments with the book. It is profound. I have been on an EBV protocol for just a little over a year now and can say for sure now that I am on the right path for health. Many symptom improvements.......and I don't feel like death warmed over.

Last edited: