The Enterovirus Theory of Disease Etiology in ME/CFS: A Critical Review (O'Neal and Hanson, 2021)

I
I expect that at least some of those who had been 'cured of ME' by antiviral treatments didn't actually have ME (since there's no test for it). They may have had non-standard viral infections that looked similar to ME.
How could you possibly differentiate between those two groups of people without a definitive diagnostic test? As of today both of those groups of people have what we know of as CFS.

How could you possibly differentiate between those two groups of people without a definitive diagnostic test?
Exactly. Without the ability to identify who actually has ME, we can't tell whether a treatment actually worked on ME.

As of today both of those groups of people have what we know of as CFS.
Well yes, since we can't differentiate, the term 'CFS' (or ME or SEID) is a vague catchall, including a lot of people who have unrelated chronic fatigue-like symptoms. So, a treatment that works for someone who actually has an unusual form of EBV won't necessarily work for someone with what might be ME if we had a definitive biomarker for it.