• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Temporary improvement after colonoscopy?

EddieB

A strange breakthrough I had years ago, involved colonoscopy. The first one was back in the ‘90’s, can’t remember exactly when. I had a colonoscopy, doctor said everything looked normal. But in the days and weeks following, nearly complete remission.

I asked the doctor why, of course he says, “well that just proves it’s all in your head. I told you there was nothing wrong, and you’ve stopped worrying”...

At the time, I had nothing else to go on, so I was convinced he may be right. But within a year, all the symptoms came back.

The next one was in 2014. I had been very sick for several months. Different doctor this time, same results. Several weeks later, symptoms backed off.

But this doctor had a different take on what was going on. He said he had seen this before, and it had to do with
bacteria. He said a colonoscopy prep can wipe out 2/3 of the bacteria in the gut. It was several months after this, when the symptoms returned, that he brought up the possibility of sibo.

Apparently I’m not alone. I’ve found dozens of testimonies claiming temporary relief from IBS after colonoscopy.
This is one of them...
https://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/topic/92913-cured-by-colonoscopy/

The reports aren’t all good, a few people end up worse. Which brings the question, what is happening here? Does the prep cleanse wipe out a significant amount of bacteria, and bring a temporary reset? Could this be used to an advantage?

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Maybe it's also getting rid of parasites for a while. I suspect a number of people are dealing with them even in the Western countries. People in the Lyme groups report feeling better when taking anti-parasite meds. ??

At one point, Dr Davis said that genetically this disease looks similar to the genetics of trypanosoma. Someone talks about it in this thread: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...rom-ron-davis-video.62564/page-2#post-1019051

but I'm not sure if that is the original source I saw it in. You could do an additional search here for the word "trypanosoma."

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
This could of course indicate your symptoms are gut related.

But how is the question, AFAIK there is no microbiome catalogue service you can buy like you can get your DNA sequenced and analyzed to see if you have any genetic diseases.
That said perhaps you could simply use the prep solution every now and then? :yuck:
Or convince the doc you need an annual colonoscopy :vomit:

EddieB

Maybe it's also getting rid of parasites for a while.
Or maybe just a disruption, that allows a brief recovery.

If this is really what’s happening, success depends on which microbes repopulate, and where they do so. If it’s the good guys in the right places, yay. But it could also go very wrong. Same with pre/ probiotics, it’s nearly impossible to know what you’re feeding.

I can’t do fasts, but many of those who do say they have similar good results. Possibly the same effect.

The fact that the improvements don’t seem to last, suggests regrowth.

ljimbo423

But this doctor had a different take on what was going on. He said he had seen this before, and it had to do with
bacteria. He said a colonoscopy prep can wipe out 2/3 of the bacteria in the gut. It was several months after this, when the symptoms returned, that he brought up the possibility of sibo.

I've read of a few people here having the same experience. After the bowel cleanse for colonoscopy, they felt great improvement or complete remission of symptoms.

EddieB

This could of course indicate your symptoms are gut related.
Yes, exactly.
I’m one of those with gut symptoms, and see a direct correlation.

Or convince the doc you need an annual colonoscopy
I think it has less to do with the procedure and more about the prep.

I’ve done coffee/ herbal enemas for days, with no improvements. But the C-prep probably flushes everything farther upstream, like the small intestine too. Maybe it’s the condensed version of a 7 day fast?

Last edited:

Alvin2

I think it has lees to do with the procedure and more about the prep.
I bet you can get the prep solution.
I’ve done coffee/ herbal enemas for days, with no improvements. But the C-prep probably flushes everything farther upstream, like the small intestine too. Maybe it’s the condensed version of a 7 day fast?
A lot of those enemas are bogus. Though the coffee one might give you a nice strong shot of absorbed caffeine.
Do bear in mind that the appendix is considered a reservoir for gut bacteria so even when the digestive tract is cleaned out you have a backup for once the gut needs to repopulate.
Now if you could clean that out too you might get a longer term fix?

Judee

I know a bit OCD of me but maintainace doses of castor oil are used in some countries as an anti-parasite preventative. I just bring it up because it is also used as a laxative.

Has anyone tried food grade castor oil and gotten similar results to the colon prep clean out? I mean in a normal dose, of course.

Sledgehammer

I know a bit OCD of me but maintainace doses of castor oil are used in some countries as an anti-parasite preventative. I just bring it up because it is also used as a laxative.

Has anyone tried food grade castor oil and gotten similar results to the colon prep clean out? I mean in a normal dose, of course.

No, but it's something I'm prepared to try.

EddieB

But how is the question, AFAIK there is no microbiome catalogue service you can buy like you can get your DNA sequenced and analyzed to see if you have any genetic diseases.
This is a big missing piece of the puzzle. You have scientists and researchers with all the information, and doctors that know nothing of it. We are caught in the middle, living it out by trial and error.

I just sent away for a comprehensive stool analysis, hopeful/ doubtful of the results.

EddieB

Probably would depend on how much a person took. A small amount “maintenance dose” as you put it, wouldn’t have a dumping effect.

The C-prep has one purpose; get everything out fast. It’s harsh, and for someone severe like myself, I’m not sure I would recommenced it. Looking at more in theory than actual practice.

Alvin2

This is a big missing piece of the puzzle. You have scientists and researchers with all the information, and doctors that know nothing of it. We are caught in the middle, living it out by trial and error.
Medical research is a slow and cruel mistress.

I just sent away for a comprehensive stool analysis, hopeful/ doubtful of the results.
Fingers crossed.

Judee

or it is wiping out ammonia producing biome

I sometimes feel better when I take things that reduce ammonia. I even wake slightly refreshed but that only lasts for about 20 minutes. Plus, when I take the substance again, I can't always duplicate it.

nerd

had similar effect, but felt mostly better mentally, like I could see clear again,

I've also made the experience. If I stop eating and my gut has no "work", I improve. Unfortunately, this doesn't last longer than one day because I'm also underweight and get fatigued by the lack of energy. The gut needs a lot of energy for digestion. I think this could be an explanation. It's not different when you're on your feet for your whole day (if this was possible). I would experience PEM at some point. Even overeating causes a similar effect.

Sometimes I wonder about these people with anorexia who claim that they are completely exhausted when they eat. Maybe they just have mild CFS/ME and this is how they compensate for it. So they eat less and less until there is nothing more to limit.

nerd

Actually, there is. Aperiomics offers full pathogen screening (e.g. bacteria, viruses, fungi, parasites) of residual pathogen RNA/DNA in biological samples. Their new test also catalogs the microbiome, but this is intended for researchers. Their tests cost a fortune though. Three samples (e.g. blood, urine, stool) will cost ca. 2000 USD. It might come a bit cheaper in the US if you don't have to pay an expensive courier for the fresh samples.

Alvin2

Actually, there is. Aperiomics offers full pathogen screening (e.g. bacteria, viruses, fungi, parasites) of residual pathogen RNA/DNA in biological samples. Their new test also catalogs the microbiome, but this is intended for researchers. Their tests cost a fortune though. Three samples (e.g. blood, urine, stool) will cost ca. 2000 USD. It might come a bit cheaper in the US if you don't have to pay an expensive courier for the fresh samples.
Very very interesting. I wonder if they can catalogue unknown species or only those in their database.