• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Taurine wasting - making sense of Nutreval / Plasma amino acids

renski

Just wondering if anyone can make sense of my plasma amino acids profile, my Cystine is very high, according to Rich this means:

11. One of the most important sulfur-containing substances in the body is glutathione, so now you can see how this is starting to look like a dog chasing its tail! The thing that causes chronic fatigue syndrome to be chronic, and keeps people ill for years and years, is this interaction between glutathione, vitamin B12, and the methylation cycle. When glutathione goes too low, the effect on vitamin B12 slows down the methylation cycle too much. The sulfur metabolites are then dumped into the transsulfuration pathway (which is connected to the methylation cycle) too much, are oxidized to form cystine, pass through hydrogen sulfide, and are eventually converted to thiosulfate and sulfate and are excreted in the urine. This lowers the production of glutathione, which requires cysteine rather than cystine, and now there is a vicious circle mechanism that preserves this malfunction and keeps you sick.

I have taurine wasting in the urine but low plasma taurine, taurine is used as a mode of sulfur excretion, but also read it can be the body trying to make more sulfate (ref: here). Question is should I be taking taurine?

Attachments

• 2019.03.18 Plasma-Amino-Acids-rn_5c98060c46866 (1).pdf
    77.2 KB · Views: 15
  • ONE Profile Feb 2019 (2).pdf
    727.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

renski

answer is address oxidative stress, not take more taurine or bile support.. even though it does mean poor bile flow