• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Susceptibility of xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus (XMRV) to retroviral

G

Gerwyn

The new Groom study

I read the Groom paper and the Japanese study together.Groom is definitely trying to cast doubt about XMRV in PMBC becuse of the existence of specific restrictive factors therein.The Japanese study successfully transfected viruses into PMBcs and harvested virus at high titre.If these authors are both correct then XMRV spreads by something called cell cell transfer making it VERY hard to find

cfs since 1998

I read the Groom paper and the Japanese study together.Groom is definitely trying to cast doubt about XMRV in PMBC becuse of the existence of specific restrictive factors therein.The Japanese study successfully transfected viruses into PMBcs and harvested virus at high titre.If these authors are both correct then XMRV spreads by something called cell cell transfer making it VERY hard to find

Fascinating post Gerwyn. Is this what they meant in the Science paper by "cell-associated transmission"? Maybe the virus "prefers" that?

"Cell culture experiments revealed that patient-derived XMRV is infectious and that both cell-associated and cell-free transmission of the virus are possible." - Lombardi et. al.

G

Gerwyn

Fascinating post Gerwyn. Is this what they meant in the Science paper by "cell-associated transmission"? Maybe the virus "prefers" that?

"Cell culture experiments revealed that patient-derived XMRV is infectious and that both cell-associated and cell-free transmission of the virus are possible." - Lombardi et. al.

yes I think so I am doing more digging

citybug

Could moderators give this thread a catchier title like - XMRV restrictions in blood? I think the XMRV studies 1, 2 ,3, 4 attract more attention, but this and the Japanese study explain the difficulty of finding it in blood samples (at least that's what I think they mean) and why the other studies are having difficulty.

G

George

Another Piece of the Puzzle

One of the things that I think we miss some times is the fact that Dr. Silverman actually found XMRV. (grins) And he found it in Prostate "tissue". Dr. Silverman developed his assays based on finding the virus in "tissue". The WPI built on his assay's to see "if" they could find it in patient blood. They did but, they had to jump through some hoops to do so!

Another important bit of information is the monkey study's that showed the virus didn't clear the blood completely but dropped to very low levels after day 10. At that point the virus settled into the tissues and made it self right at home. Which, just reiterates the need to amplify the virus in order to detect it in PMBC's. The studies so far have gone after this as a simple blood borne pathogen like Hep C or HIV but this virus is well. . .I call it a penguin. It's different. But when most of these studies where done a lot of this information wasn't really understood by WPI or anyone else. The good studies are coming up. Those that have been cautious and let the preliminary ground work will now be gearing up to get us some really meat on this puppy. (grins) Course, this means we have at least another three months to wait for even the fast track publishing. (grooooooooaaaaaan)

The ability of this penguin to slide by Trim5alpha however, will get a lot of people interested in it!

an aside note: I noticed that they recently republished information on the MLV experiment with Rhesuses in 1989 showing that the monkeys cleared the infection in 5 to 7 days. This gave the go ahead for use of MLV in gene therapy experiments.