• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Supplementing B3 (not for over-methylation).

seamyb

Does supplementing B3 reverse progress from methylation? I'm going low and slow, so not having any overmethylation difficulties. I'm concerned that I've been supping all the Bs apart from 3, but equally concerned that it will upset my progress.

sometexan84

Pretty advanced question.

Are you over-methylated, w/ a high SAM/SAH ratio?

Or are you more worried about something specific like homocysteine or something like that, that's high already and you don't want it to get higher?

Which B3 supplement are you looking into?

I'm glad you brought this up, because I'm looking into maybe starting nicotinamide riboside.

seamyb

Are you over-methylated, w/ a high SAM/SAH ratio?

Nope, not overmethylated. As for any clinical markers, I have none. Currently on a waiting list to see a doctor. Our healthcare system is f***ed at the minute!

Or are you more worried about something specific like homocysteine or something like that, that's high already and you don't want it to get higher?

I'm just worried about the relationship between B3 and methylation. Surely if B3 mops up methyl groups, then the reverse is also true? More methyl groups will mean B3 depletion unless I'm getting an adequate supply. The question is, how much is an adequate supply as opposed to too much for the objective of increasing methylation.

Which B3 supplement are you looking into?

Just standard niacinamide. No designer vitamers or anything, I'm already out a fortune :)

Learner1

Nope, not overmethylated. As for any clinical markers, I have none. Currently on a waiting list to see a doctor. Our healthcare system is f***ed at the minute!

I'm just worried about the relationship between B3 and methylation. Surely if B3 mops up methyl groups, then the reverse is also true? More methyl groups will mean B3 depletion unless I'm getting an adequate supply. The question is, how much is an adequate supply as opposed to too much for the objective of increasing methylation.
https://www.nature.com/articles/hr2011151

I'm glad you brought this up, because I'm looking into maybe starting nicotinamide riboside.
It will and must be taken into account. NAD+ or NMN are more effective than NR.

Last edited:

seamyb

Well, I look forward to the pellagra then. Although maybe small amounts won't hurt...