• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sulfite/sulfate and ammonia questions

dannybex

I recommended Infantis and Bifidus strains in particular for quite a number of reasons including their capacity to biosynthesize and interconvert folates, their efficacy in lowering the inflammatory response, their ability to permanently colonize, their strong association with the infant microbiome, and their apparent susceptibility in some disease states.

I realize this is an ancient thread, but if @Vegas stops by, could you provide a reference or references that bifidus permanently colonizes the gut? All I can find is that it (and many other strains) need to be taken often or they're gone from the intestinal tract within 1-4 weeks.

Thanks in advance.

pemone

Consider trying Bifidobacterium strains, infantis and bifidum; these should be singularly cultured in milk for 24 hours. These will lower pH in the large intestine and dramatically reduce ammonia levels, inhibit the growth of pathogenic organisms, increase SCFA production, increase LAB numbers in the proximal bowel, inhibit/kill H. Pylori in the stomach, increase HCL production, dramatically reduce LPS concentrations in the intestinal lumen, dramatically reduce histamine, increase GSH locally and systemically, lower formaldehyde concentrations, produce b vitamins, folate & others, etc.

I left a message on your profile since you had PM disabled here. I have spent the last year fermenting Bifidobacteria strains in yogurts and share most of your opinions regarding the special role of this bacteria in addressing dysbiosis. Can we collaborate and can you send me a PM?

pemone

I realize this is an ancient thread, but if @Vegas stops by, could you provide a reference or references that bifidus permanently colonizes the gut? All I can find is that it (and many other strains) need to be taken often or they're gone from the intestinal tract within 1-4 weeks.

Thanks in advance.

In my N=1 research, taking Bifido as a probiotic did nothing to colonize. The big changes happened when I started to ferment it as the only bacterial genus in yogurt, and especially after I added prebiotics into the ferment. I brought my colonic Bifido from near extinction levels on every test to nearly 5%. That in turn sent my butyrate-producing species from 40% of my biome to nearly 60%. My Proteobacteria collapsed to near zero. The biggest shock was that it nearly wiped out my entire Bacteroidetes phylum as well, so I probably went too far and now need to focus on a better dose. Specific to hydrogen sulfide bacteria, my Bilophila wadsworthia continues to hang around, so it seems to survive lower pH induced by colonic Bifido.

Gondwanaland

Taking B. infantis + B. longum continuously for over 2 months got my histamine so low that I didn't have energy to get up in the morning, but the 1st 2 months were pure bliss and sustainable energy.

pemone

Taking B. infantis + B. longum continuously for over 2 months got my histamine so low that I didn't have energy to get up in the morning, but the 1st 2 months were pure bliss and sustainable energy.

So just take the amino acid histidine, which is the precursor to histamine. Even small amounts wake my brain up immediately. Obviously, someone with too much histamine or mast-cell allergic-type symptoms should never do that.

This is not a good reason to avoid Bifidobacteria.

Gondwanaland

So just take the amino acid histidine, which is the precursor to histamine. Even small amounts wake my brain up immediately. Obviously, someone with too much histamine or mast-cell allergic-type symptoms should never do that.

This is not a good reason to avoid Bifidobacteria.
Unfortunately I never tolerated supplementing with it.