• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sugar Craving

belize44

@belize44 did you manage to find a way to kick your sugar/carb cravings? I have the exact same issue which I think is contributing towards immense weight gain. Every time I try to cut carbs and sugar out of my diet I crave them even more, I'm sure my body is reliant on them. I just read a few posts where other people have been diagnosed with non diabetic hypoglycemia. I had a severe crash earlier this year that had all the hallmarks of a hypoglycemia attack. Like you and @wabi-sabi I will feel terrible until I eat some form of sugar/carb.

I used to attend a NHS fatigue clinic and I was advised to eat small healthy meals regularly. Unfortunately I wasn't told why amongst other things. Since then, I've found out it keeps blood sugar levels consistent.
Well, it's not for everyone, but I recently started the Carnivore diet, where I eat nothing but meat. My SO started two months ago and is looking and feeling great! I am not sure how long I can keep it up, because the cravings still persist, although they are definitely diminishing. Like you, I am not sure if I can survive without sweets and carbs but am willing to try this for a month.

livinglighter

Well, it's not for everyone, but I recently started the Carnivore diet, where I eat nothing but meat. My SO started two months ago and is looking and feeling great! I am not sure how long I can keep it up, because the cravings still persist, although they are definitely diminishing. Like you, I am not sure if I can survive without sweets and carbs but am willing to try this for a month.

Thanks for the update @belize44!

I’m glad to hear your cravings are diminishing on your new diet, it gives me hope.

I will try and push trough with Keto. I’ll see if there is anything I can take to reduce sugar cravings until I adjust.