• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Study proposed for Otago University (NZ) in 2010.

anne_likes_red

Tragedy

about Dr Holmes' samples. Tragedy about his reasearch not being continued.

My understanding is that Otago wishes to collect and store samples again. Hope that can go ahead! We need research to be seen through to the end!

PS maybe the samples for next year's proposed study aren't collected yet?

Alice Band

PWME - ME by Ramsay
Oh dear, Suzanne,

What a shame the blood samples were thrown out and such a short time ago (3 years).

I guess some of the original people will be able to give blood now to compare but it would have been better to thaw the original samples and compare for the definitive answer.

At least there is the possibility of a research project at least. Hope it can go ahead.

anne_likes_red

If blood samples had been kept from several of the original mid 80's "outbreaks" for analysis today, I think that would be really something to look at.

But I'm not suggesting they figure out time travel before they figure out ME/CFS :eek: No, no.

Are many of the original Tapanui Flu people still around I wonder?
Have many recovered?

Alice Band

PWME - ME by Ramsay
There was a 10 year study published that showed many improved and recovered. However, the patients didn't agree with this and there was a lot of argument afterwards.

Still lots of people around with an original Tapanui flu dx.

Yes the Otago university has a researcher working with the NZ ANZMES to get the research going. Hopefully we will know soon what the decisions are about going ahead. It all looks positive so far as to setting up the research team. Fingers crossed.