• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Study: How Baking Soda helps with mast cell activation, autoimmune and allergies and inflammation

linusbert

A daily dose of baking soda may help reduce the destructive inflammation of autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, scientists say. They have some of the first evidence of how the cheap, over-the-counter antacid can encourage our spleen to promote instead an anti-inflammatory environment that could be therapeutic in the face of inflammatory disease, scientists report.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/04/180425093745.htm

so drinking baking soda (or natron or sodium bicarbonate) might potentially help with mcas, allergies and inflammation by shifting the body a bit more towards anti inflammation.
would be interesting to hear some experiences.

WARNING: do not confuse with sodium carbonate (missing the "bi") which is aggressive substance used as detergent or bleach and might kill or harm you badly.
so if you get sodium BIcarbonate, make sure its sold as food and safe for eating.
also careful , as it will neutralize stomach acid if you got problems with that. should be taken far from eating to not disturb the balance.

Jyoti

My new doctor recently told me that most of her patients with MCAS find it helpful to drink a glass of water with 1/2 t of baking soda in it each day. I have been doing it for almost a month and while I can't claim anything dramatic, I do feel slightly better, with little else to 'blame that on.' It certainly hasn't been problematic in any way, so I will likely continue to do it.

linusbert

My new doctor recently told me that most of her patients with MCAS find it helpful to drink a glass of water with 1/2 t of baking soda in it each day. I have been doing it for almost a month and while I can't claim anything dramatic, I do feel slightly better, with little else to 'blame that on.' It certainlyeck hasn't been problematic in any way, so I will likely continue to do it.
very interesting.

recently someone wrote to check urine for PH, also i read that on chris masterjohns blog that he did it for himself. he raised the sodium bicarbonate so much that his urine went into 6.5-7.5 range which improved his physical abilitys drastically... or so he said.
his urine wasnt measurable with regular test stripes because it was to acidic. same for me, teststripe doesnt change a bit, it must be far below 6.

so you might try that as well, get some PH urine test strips and raise until you get into the 7 range. maybe this will improve your response even more.

i hope i find one day the courage to try it out myself.

Wishful

I have been doing it for almost a month and while I can't claim anything dramatic, I do feel slightly better,
That's useful information. There are lots of "theoretically, this should improve your health" concepts, but the gap between "theoretically when applied to cells in a test tube" and real life bodies is vast. So, how many people here will try it and report amazing life-changing improvements? Brushing my teeth with baking soda for a week (testing toothpaste avoidance) didn't have any effect.

WARNING: do not confuse with sodium carbonate
Actually, sodium carbonate is used in cooking. I know it's used in making ramen, and IIRC also used as a flavouring in Indian cooking. Don't swallow large amounts, since it is corrosive (bicarbonate is too, just less so), but it's not really toxic the way heavy metals or organic toxins are. I noticed that you can convert bicarbonate to carbonate by heating for a while.

panckage

I'm not sure how unusual this is, but whenever I have tried baking soda it just gives me acid reflux. I mean I have it anyways, but it is basically 100% treated EXCEPT for the periods I've trialed BS and its not just on the days I've taken BS.

I thought it was just a coincidence, but this has been repeatable.

linusbert

I'm not sure how unusual this is, but whenever I have tried baking soda it just gives me acid reflux. I mean I have it anyways, but it is basically 100% treated EXCEPT for the periods I've trialed BS and its not just on the days I've taken BS.

I thought it was just a coincidence, but this has been repeatable.
actually makes perfect sense.
your stomach is low on acid, if you neutralize it with alkalines it will rebound or stomach muscles will work more to compensate for lack of acidity and also esophagus doesnt close completely.
try taking betain HCL capsules to make your stomach more acid, but with meals.