• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Studies find HHV-7 active in ME, yet ME Drs often don't test for it & Valcyte doesn't work for HHV-7

Cipher

Administrator
Just like the other main viruses liked to ME/CFS (namely EBV, HHV-6, CMV, enteroviruses and parvovirus B19), studies have shown that ME/CFS patients more frequently have high titers to HHV-7 compared to healthy controls. These high titers suggest active infection, and thus implicate HHV-7 in the pathophysiology of ME/CFS.

It seems like they didn't actually measure antibody titers for HHV-7, but rather relied on plasma nPCR to determine infection:

The cases with HHV-7-specific sequence in DNA isolated from cell free blood plasma were defined as active HHV-7 infection cases. The presence of HHV-7-specific antibodies was not examined due to the lack of commercial test systems for IgM class antibody detection.