• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Strattera (atomoxetine)

Thinktank

Doesn't the continuous use of yohimbe, or any other NRI make you feel jittery?
I've tried wellbutrin but it sends my sympathetic nervous system into overdrive.

Bark or extraxt? Any brand recommendation?
The one I take is currently GNC Herbal Plus Yohimbe Extract 450mg. The trick is to find something without any extra crap in it, since it frequently gets mixed in with other penis herbs.

Doesn't the continuous use of yohimbe, or any other NRI make you feel jittery?
I haven't had any problems with it. But I do a pretty low dose ... I divide each 450mg capsule into 4 capsules, so about 110mg each.

Ninan

The one I take is currently GNC Herbal Plus Yohimbe Extract 450mg. The trick is to find something without any extra crap in it, since it frequently gets mixed in with other penis herbs.

Ok, I see you take a smaller dose than I do. Mine is 8% alkaloids, the one you take is 2%.

@Thinktank I get extremely calm when I crash and yohimbe takes me back to normal. Jittery or not probably depends on how your NE levels are without it. I think mine are pretty low when I crash. Today I've taken more than usual and I'm still dizzy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Did the Straterra also help with stuff like light and noise sensitivity and anxiety??
I can't really say as those have been only minor problems for me. It was magic for OI though. But please note--I have an unusual presentation for dysautonomia in that my parasympathetic system tested as dominant over the sympathetic. Strattera probably wouldn't work for someone with sympathetic dominance.

Grigor

Understand. I think I'm more the sympathetic but worth a try I guess.
Super sensitive to meds so not sure how that will work

Sushi

Super sensitive to meds so not sure how that will work
I was very sensitive to it at first. Here is how my doc prescribed it: 1/3 of the lowest dose cap (I had to open them) every other day and slowly titrating up. It still gave me side effects at first.

Ninan

I was very sensitive to it at first. Here is how my doc prescribed it: 1/3 of the lowest dose cap (I had to open them) every other day and slowly titrating up. It still gave me side effects at first.
How long until you noticed effect? What side effects? Just got it, starting tomorrow. I'll open the 10 mg capsule and take crumbles.

How is the parasympathetic dominance expressed? Anything specific that differs from the opposite?

For me general OI, peeing extreme amounts when crashing are huge problems. But the worst is probably this: When I crash I feel like the blood vessels in my brain contract. Like they only let a trickle flow through. It's kind of a cold, numb feeling, a little like when an arm or a leg doesn't get enough blood. This leads to extreme sensory sensitivity which puts me in a downward spiral with less and less energy, towards complete vegetable. Increasing blood pressure helps a bit. Anyone recognizes this?

Sushi

How long until you noticed effect? What side effects? Just got it, starting tomorrow. I'll open the 10 mg capsule and take crumbles.
I noticed affects within an hour. Side effects varied a lot a first--couldn't stay awake, then couldn't go to sleep, odd autonomic symptoms like dizziness, grogginess. After I got established on 10 mg twice a day, the effect would kick in within half an hour.
How is the parasympathetic dominance expressed?
I tested as parasympathetic dominant with autonomic testing. As to how you would "feel" it without testing? I didn't have the anxiety and hyperness that some get with sympathetic dominance. I also had a slow HR, but mainly my doc was going by testing.

Ninan

I noticed affects within an hour. Side effects varied a lot a first--couldn't stay awake, then couldn't go to sleep, odd autonomic symptoms like dizziness, grogginess. After I got established on 10 mg twice a day, the effect would kick in within half an hour.
I tested as parasympathetic dominant with autonomic testing. As to how you would "feel" it without testing? I didn't have the anxiety and hyperness that some get with sympathetic dominance. I also had a slow HR, but mainly my doc was going by testing.

Thanks, @Sushi I'll prepare for anything then. :wide-eyed:

Sounds like I'm more symphatetic then. But I become extremely calm when I crash so I wonder if low norepinephrine could be one factor.

Sushi

But I become extremely calm when I crash so I wonder if low norepinephrine could be one factor.
Possible. I am at the calm end of the excitotoxity spectrum.
I'll prepare for anything then. :wide-eyed:
Since we can be very sensitive to this type of drug, I really appreciated my doc giving me instructions to go very low and slow. Had I popped a full capsule, I probably would have never taken another one.

Ninan

Possible. I am at the calm end of the excitotoxity spectrum.

Since we can be very sensitive to this type of drug, I really appreciated my doc giving me instructions to go very low and slow. Had I popped a full capsule, I probably would have never taken another one.
Yes, very good of her/him! I always start with crumbles these days, almost no matter what they say. Been there, done that. Too many times.

Ninan

@Ninan did you start the Straterra already?? How's it going??
Yes, very very low dose. A little increased heart rate and warm face was all I noticed. I'm having trouble with potassium deficiency (muscle cramps and extremely low and hard pulse) and I'm a bit worried to take too much of it. I'll try again when my heart seems healthier.